Where will the next coaster be located ?

RyGuy

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Its very interesting reading all this stuff about Kings Island on the Internet. I think I might be getting obssessed! Glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Anyway, about this new announcement for '05. I hope I can go the 12th. I'd like to hear it first hand. Since everybody is speculating here, I thought I would just go out on a limb and make an off the wall prediction. I say they're building a new coaster. Site? Vortex. The reason I say this is that The Vortex is tired, plain, and if there was a new full-sized steel coaster built, it would obsolete The Vortex anyway. Since The Vortex simply took the place of The Bat because it was a lemon, then they haven't built an all-new, full-sized outdoor steel coaster since around 1980. After 24 years, it seems like it would be time.

Please go easy on me, remember I'm new here.... biggrin.gif

Sorry duder your gonna get lambaseted. Vortex is here to stay. Its a people mover. Its no where neat obsolete. Its from the era before computers. Its here to stay

FOF is a full circut coaster

Face/off yah its a shuttle big whoop

Top Gun: is s a steel coaster just of the supended variety

Reptar: suspended variety steel

Ghoaster coaster: steel suspended variety

Its been shorter than you think.

Vortex is not being removed. Don't care if you're new here because that's stupid. They will not take out a very popular ride just because they are building another coaster.

You don't consider Top Gun a full sized coaster? Looks like one to me.

I tried to read as many topics as possible before I posted the first time, but I did see after I posted that one of the many FAQs was "are they going to close The Vortex". All us newbies must think alike. huh.gif

Anyway, I said I was going out on a limb, and I still think it would be a good idea. Of any ride in the park, I think that The Vortex has the least going for it, except that it is a people mover, and I know that is an important thing.

And no, I don't really consider Top Gun a full sized roller coaster. Way too short, and tired, too.

It will be a sad day to see Vortex go.(I dont see it going anywhere soon for much the same reasons mentioned on here) Im a big fan of all the old classic ARROW-LOOPERS my first looping coaster was Double Loop at Geauga Lake back in 78 when it was still new. It will be a shame when they are all gone because in my opinion Arrow revolutionized roller coaster designs.Yeah B&M makes the smoothest,INTAMAIN the tallest,but if it wasnt for ARROW pressing the envelope year in and year out in the 80s I dont think we would be where we are at today with coaster designs First inverted coaster The Bat yeah it had design flaws but without it would we have the smooth B&M inverts of today? Or how about MAGNUM the first coaster to break 200 ft. They reinvented the coaster wars and we as enthusiasts have reaped all their hard work.It makes me sad each year to see another ARROW coaster being removed.Vortex is as close as Ive found to duplicate the rough out-of control feeling that my all time favorite STEEL PHANTOM use to dish out. "LONG LIVE ARROW LOOPERS"

AE TG Two more examples of great ARROW coasters of the past.Adventure Express is a great "transitional coaster" its a coaster that kids can ride with their parents when they finnaly reach that age of "no more kiddie land" Much the same can be said about TOP GUN.They are both good people movers,a reridable ride and still seem to be somewhat popular. I dont see why they need to remove anything to add a new coaster,they unlike CP have lots of room for expansion.

Adventure Express is a great mine ride. I have ridden several different types of mine rides, and none of them come even close to AE. It's got some good speed mixed with great theming, the feeling of a runaway train is executed perfectly on this coaster.

You're very lucky to have a ride like AE at PKI, it's not supposed to be a huge thrill ride just take it for what it is. Most importantly it's just a fun ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, Vortex being a steel coaster and all and knowing how old it is and will be, it's possible that it will be removed in the next five years or so. Only time will tell. Steel coasters have a life span, it gets too expensive to upkeep them and find parts and the metal can fatigue on them. Once that starts to happen, you have no choice but to replace entire sections, rebuild or remove. Wood coasters don't have that problem as long as there is wood around to replace pieces with.

There are MANY Arrow coasters; MANY, MANY, MANY. Replacement parts for Arrow coasters will not be hard to find, because there are so many Arrows out there. Not that you can nitpick from other operating coasters to get parts; but I'm sure there are simply more replacements stored somewhere in the world.

Vortex is one of the park's bigger coasters, and one of the park's better people eaters, plus, it's a great ride. It'll be here for a while..

There are MANY Arrow coasters; MANY, MANY, MANY. Replacement parts for Arrow coasters will not be hard to find, because there are so many Arrows out there. Not that you can nitpick from other operating coasters to get parts; but I'm sure there are simply more replacements stored somewhere in the world.

Vortex is one of the park's bigger coasters, and one of the park's better people eaters, plus, it's a great ride. It'll be here for a while..

This is true, but the fact of the matter is that steel coasters have a limited lifespan due to the fact that they are indeed made of steel. My guess is that the park won't remove/replace it until its lifespan has run out, and they are not able to run it anymore.

Like what happened to King Cobra; parts were scarce; custom, machined ones were expensive and it was nearly 20 years old.

That said, will Vortex leave in 2007? I doubt it will be removed before 2010.

I still like that fairly-cleared area of land just northeast of Flight of Fear...

King Cobra was a TOGO stand up hence the parts being scarce. A search on rcdb.com will reveal that there are 42 TOGO coasters. Not sure how many are SBNO or gone completely. Vortex is an Arrow coaster. rcdb.com shows that there are 122 arrow coasters out there...again some may be gone or SBNO.

Wouldn't it make sence that parts for TOGO a company long since gone would be hard if not impossible or VERY costly to find.

Arrow coasters are built to last. Move people fast. And provide thrills for years and years.

I am SICK TO DEATH of people saying Vortex is on it's way out. It is a 5 Star attraction at PKI. It isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Now all you readers don't even bring up SHOCKWAVE from SFGA...it was a lemon since it's very begining.

Alot of us never had the (dis)pleasure of riding that ride. Difference between King Cobra and Vortex is.

Arrow's part shop is still open and parts are easlly avalable. Togo went under and was bought by Premier BUT they decided to stop making parts for the standups. Now the sitdown models do have parts avaliable. I think KC was axed to provide parts to the other paramount standup togos at PKD and PCW that are still doing well. While we got the sw33t gaint frisbee.

• 2 weeks later...