FUNTV First Impressions?

BoddaH1994

I enjoyed the wait for Banshee at night and FUN TV was part of it. The lights, the TVs, the que and the Banshee scream over and over. The atmosphere was alive and exciting rather than the typical "waiting in a boring line forever" feel. My kids loved watching the TVs in all of the lines we waited in. I think the TVs are a great addition. I just hope the content changes regularly as to not get boring after the second visit.

• Like 4

Couple ideas for fun tv that would be cool additions. 3-5 min videos about other parks or other coasters at other parks (visit cp and experience raptor.... Etc)...

The other thing would be love web cam videos of other parks.

Not to mention upto date sorts info, maybe work with fox sports ohio to do a daily reds update or feature.

Would also like to see live features from inside the park/possible love dj host directing the info. Heck have one live host on the entire network (for all cp parks) with mini live segments at each park in the chain.

Hey Don does CF want to hire a programmer for fun tv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hope they changed the questions that were on the TV on media day. Those questions were no brainers.

The same ones were being used on opening day. Fortunately, it appears that other rides have different questions, and the ones at Boo Blasters were much better.

After buying a KISS Hello Kitty at Kings Island, I was wondering why no KISS in The Haunted Zone music line-up? I love the idea of The Pogues in the Banshee line, but let's face it, with some of their lyrics, it's not going to happen. KISS has some pretty popular songs with relatively safe lyrics.

"You're looking fancy and I like your style" isn't the raciest thing I've heard at the park. And they do have that look.

• Like 1

I think some of you are being way too hard on this.

Of course trivia is going to be ridiculous to us. What is easy to us is probably impossibly hard for the general public. Tabloid celebrity news isn't going to interest many of us on this site, but the mom who brought the kids for the day is probably interested in what the Kardashians are doing. They had golf updates that will please dad, too.

This isn't made for us. It's made for everyone. It's made to entertain and distract from the wait times. I think it has already succeeded and will continue to improve over the course of this season.

• Like 10

It's made to entertain and distract from the wait times. I think it has already succeeded and will continue to improve over the course of this season.

So it begs the question of why this program was installed on rides like Adventure Express. How often does AE's line get long?

• Like 1

If I wanted to watch TV I would just stay home. I was glad when they got rid of the tvs they had before. Nothing like trying to get people to move in line when there watching TV . I remember with the old tvs , you had to yell 10 times you can move up now and finally they would go,oh yeah. I hated those and not really happy to see them returning.

Somebody put Terpy's grave in FUNTV.5yveny4e.jpg

So that confirms it then, Terpy is a ghost!

When he was asked on KIC if he was at Kings Island on opening day, Terpy answered he was and with good company (not exact wording, but quite close). Would this good company happen to be the Banshee herself? Terpy also seems to know a lot of info, he could probably could explain Quantum Physics to someone. He also seems to be open yet keeps a lot to himself (just look at his profile on KIC)!

As far as his whereabouts, it sounds like he moves so often that I think he losses track of where he is himself. :P

One question though, has a single member on here ever met Terpy?

Note: Just having a little fun. Not trying to offend or upset him or others.

One question though, has a single member on here ever met Terpy?

Yes. Quite a few of us have. I personally first met him on closing day last year, and saw him during Media Day and again yesterday. He was a short distance behind me in that massive Banshee line yesterday, and we passed each other in adjacent switchbacks several times.

• Like 3

Gosh darn it, KIC and the conspiracy theories......

I finally got to experience the FUNTV, and I can say that it was not that bad of an idea. I liked how they played music in the queues and let it be more up beat in the station than the latter. For example, there was Pompeii then an irish jig (I don't remember what the name of the song was called though, I just know it as being like an Irish Jig) making myself actually semi pumped to ride The Beast. As well, it let me go and use some of my trivia knowledge and shock some of the others in the line. (Pshh, who doesn't know Banshee's speed anymore?)

OVERALL: Excellent addition, and I hope that as the seasons change, the songs will too, especially in The Beast line. (For BB1 likes to hang out at the woodland creature's hideout.)

• Like 1

Mentioned this is my Trip Report but I didn't really like that they had FUNTV playing in Boo Blasters. Since it was on, there was lack of the theme music. It felt less "haunted house" to me and more like I was just waiting in a dark queue with some fake (and real) cobwebs.

• Like 2

^Everything FUNTV is apparently aiming to be is identical to what the queue TV system was when it was installed in (I think) 1995. I'm trying to find a newspaper article I read a couple years back about the 1990s system - you could republish it today and it'd work the same.

Regarding FUNTV, I think TheCrypt asked this on the previous page, what are all the attractions that have it thus far? From this queue and elsewhere, I've gathered...

• Delirum
  • Banshee
  • Adventure Express
  • Flight of Fear
  • Beast
  • Vortex
  • Flying Ace Aerial Chase

What am I missing?

• Like 1

I've met Terpy. In fact, I met him at my first meet up on closing day last year. He was at Media Day and opening day. Maybe he comes to the park on days he knows I will be there. Some days I crack myself up.

• Like 3

Wait has Fun TV replaced the preshow video in FoF's queue?

What?! :(

No. Or if it has, it does not run at all times. Though FoF did recieve new HDTVs and the old video has been reformatted for the new screens. They added a sci-fi themed border around the old 4:3 video to make it display correctly in 16:9 (or 9:16 in some cases since roughly half the TVs were in a vertical orientation) without stretch-o-vision.

I did not see the whole video, but I hope that it has been modified to show the side of the queue that actually gets used on slow days rather than the one that's empty every day but Saturday...

• Like 6

^Everything FUNTV is apparently aiming to be is identical to what the queue TV system was when it was installed in (I think) 1995. I'm trying to find a newspaper article I read a couple years back about the 1990s system - you could republish it today and it'd work the same.

Regarding FUNTV, I think TheCrypt asked this on the previous page, what are all the attractions that have it thus far? From this queue and elsewhere, I've gathered...

• Delirum
  • Banshee
  • Adventure Express
  • Flight of Fear
  • Beast
  • Vortex
  • Flying Ace Aerial Chase
What am I missing?
I believe Firehawk has them as well. Just because I remember seeing them more "exposed" to the elements and not under the tents directly like most other rides.

Oh - and can't forget about Diamondback.

I also can't help but feel like FUNTV is just part of a larger marketing campaign to include the "fun" branding more predominantly throughout the park(s).

I noticed almost every transaction I made Friday ended with " hope you have a FUN rest of your day!" and even a guy collecting trays in Festhaus took ours from the table and said "hope you guys have FUN!". Maybe I'm just over thinking it but I don't remember that from last year.

• Like 2

The trivia is good and bad..some are easy some are pretty good questions..

If you want good trivia sorry but most of the GP wouldn't get it..hell let's be honest most of you wouldn't get it either..think of the trivia from Great Wolf Lodge..most of you failed miserably there

There is a lot of interesting history of Kings Island that could make great, informative trivia. They could ask things like "which previous coaster occupied the same station building currently used by Vortex?" while in line for Vortex, just as an example.

Or, better yet: "at what rate is Vortex currently sinking into the ground?" with the answer being "it isn't, and stop believing everything the Dippin' Dots guys tell you!"

• Like 6

First impression? I thought they got rid of QueTV aka "Skyline Chili Vision," years ago?... They should just stick to pumping music through speakers.

The park can sell ad space during the program just like Six Flags. I am starting to see Six Flags and Cedar Fair use the same type of marketing in the parks.

But FUNTV broke the 11th commandment.

But who will administer the punishment? Bubba did not seem to be talking yesterday, so somebody else will have to make them pay...

If Adventure Express' sound is anything like Top Gun's was when I worked it, it may have just been a case of the operators not pushing a single button when they started the ride in the morning. I bet, had you told them that the sound was off, they would've looked at their control panel, pressed a button, and apologized.

• Like 2