FUNTV First Impressions?

BoddaH1994

So, would you all say it's better than Chilivision? Chilivision was pretty much a bunch of advertisements from what I remember.

Also, just some random thing I'm wondering about: are they using the same footings from Chilivision? If not, are the new ones in the same places?

It's made to entertain and distract from the wait times. I think it has already succeeded and will continue to improve over the course of this season.

So it begs the question of why this program was installed on rides like Adventure Express. How often does AE's line get long?

Opening Day it was long enough. :P

I agree with you. I probably would have put them in Banshee's, Diamondback's, Firehawk's, Beast's, and Drop Tower's lines. The other rides rarely have a long enough line to make it worthwhile.

• Like 1

^ I would add Backlot Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, and Delirium to that list. All three can get long lines, particularly on Saturdays, due to relatively low capacity (and popularity in the latter's case).

Flight of Fear can also get long lines, but I'd rather see an update to the "pre-show" video in the hangar than FUN TV there. However, FUN TV might be worthwhile in the outside portion of the queue.

• Like 2

I thought it would be interesting to list all the music videos they've played.

So far, I've heard:

"Enter Sandman" by Metallica

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson

"Digital Witness" by St. Vincent (aka, "The Crazy Hair Girl")

"Pompeii" by Bastille

I'm also interested to know if anyone knows the name of that dubstep (?) song played in the Banshee queue.

• Like 1

I have so many ideas for this system from a national point of view and from a tv background.

Have a mini-this day in Cedar Fair history, post wait times from around the park, central host kicking it out live to individuals at different parks. How cool would it be if while waiting in line for The Beast, you watched a live view interview/game coming from the top of the Eiffel Tower at Kings Dominion or watched a 3 minute special on Gatekeeper. Not to mention, the additional revenue you would sell by selling out 60 second commercial breaks to state advertisers. (Pure Michigan, California, etc). Have a cold Coke, or Eat Mor' Chick'n.

Every hour, there is 15 minutes of local information (Sports, Weather, Etc.) Heck, you work it out with a local news station where they send you a 5 minute news update in return for exclusive information first or use of webcams (doesn't Fox have a webcam at KI currently?). Local host can interview a park operator or guest. You make it a real live fun experience. Show ten minutes from one of the music review shows. Then at the end of the 15 minutes it kicks back out to National Host. Play some music show some videos, etc.

• Like 2

Overall, I liked FunTV and think it has potential to surpass what QTV was back in the day. I have one small gripe though:

The Raiders/Indiana Jones theme was not playing in the queue of AE. They were playing the audio for FunTV instead, which was curious when we were at the bottom part of the queue ramp because there were no TV's in sight until we rounded the bend to the stretch right before the station, there were two TV's there. With as quick as that line usually is, I don't think it needs FunTV since there's not much time to watch it, especially since there's only two TV's and they're both in the "home stretch" of the queue.

And Boo Blasters has FunTV too? Ugh. As good as the park is getting with adding themeing, why take away/detract from what little there already was in the queue lines of these two rides?

I particularly appreciated the weather updates that were on the TV's and enjoyed some of the videos in the Banshee line (always good to hear Dropkick Murphys). Banshee & AE were the only two that I rode opening day that had FunTV, so I'll have to see what the other content is at other rides.

• Like 7

I was looking for some sports updates, such as the Reds score! I'm actually watching the replay now.

Would there be a legal issue with showing the Reds? Licensing or something?

Ummm, No.

You are not allowed to show highlights during the game. Other than that Im sure you would just needs written permission.

In other words, the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

I think it would be cool if it switched to live feeds from other parks once in awhile.

I like seeing the weather forecast on the TVs.

I saw "Enter Sandman" twice. That video does add to Banshee's atmosphere well, and I like the idea of playing Irish music there. It'd be nice if they'd get some more traditionally Irish stuff on there. Hoping to see Cranberries on there as well - anyone seen it?

I'd like it if they could play some horror movie clips during the Haunt like they did with FearFest one year. They could handle the licensing, although I know the clips they played were Paramount because that was back when Paramount owned the park. I'd like to see clips from Insidious in Banshee's line. Give some people nightmares.

I like the idea of the music changing with the season, too. Last year I only went during summer and fall. I tend to change up my playlists with the season anyway. I latched on to some songs I heard in the park last year. I'll have to make a few playlists this year, too.

I haven't really paid attention to FUNTV until last night in Banshee's line. I watched the find the skull under the tombstone mix up game. Then about ten minutes later I see it up there again. Right before it finished, I sarcastically said aloud "hmm I bet it's under number 1". It was not. I found out that game doesn't just repeat the same one over and over. I held my head in shame the rest of the night.

• Like 4

So far, I've heard:

"Pompeii" by Bastille

I'm also interested to know if anyone knows the name of that dubstep (?) song played in the Banshee queue.

Another song that played on FunTV (At least for Adventure Express and Vortex was "La La La" by Naughty Boy and Sam Smith... I heard that song three times Friday, twice being from FunTV :D. Overall, I like FunTV and was happy to see that Flight of Fear's pre-show video has not been replaced by FunTV. Also, although I enjoyed the Indiana Jones music for Adventure Express, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would that it wasn't playing in line. Finally, I don't know if all the FunTV rides have been listed or not, but here's a list of places that FunTV exists (either through my observation or via others):

-Banshee

-Diamondback

-Vortex

-Boo Blasters

-Delirium

-Beast (though I didn't notice the TVs on Friday)

(I'll add more once I think of them...)

• Like 1

Maybe just a live feed of the noodle.

Kraft has got instant free advertisement every time some shmoe uploads his picture by that thing on Twitter. For the price of the sculpture, and the rental space, it seems they are getting their dough's worth.

• Like 2

So far, I've heard:

"Pompeii" by Bastille

Another song that played on FunTV (At least for Adventure Express and Vortex was "La La La" by Naughty Boy and Sam Smith... I heard that song three times Friday, twice being from FunTV :D.

You can also add "Can't Kill Us" by The Glitch Mob, which was the dubstep song I mentioned in an earlier post.