Beast 35th Anniversary POV

BoddaH1994

I really am just exaggerating, I do like The Beast. I just feel like it's not as amazing as it's made out to be. The brake run really ruins everything, and from then on to the helix, I can't help but fall asleep. It just doesn't feel fast at all to me and it's completely forceless. I rank Banshee, Diamondback, Flight of Fear, and The Bat (yes, The Bat) over it.

• Like 2

JDawg, I am not sure why you would use The Bat as a slam towards The Beast. The Bat is a solid coaster that offers thrills to park goers.

Beast is a classic ride. Like a classic muscle car. Some look at the 60's muscle cars and see beauty and speed and freedom. Some see nothing but big metal death traps with no power brakes, crank windows, and low (compared to new) horsepowers.

The Beast is that classic muscle car. Is it flashy? No. Is it the fastest? No. Does it give you the air time and adrenaline you are hunting for with a ride like Banshee? No. But does it offer a very solid ride that offers great thrills that can connect generations. It feels like its just on the verge of going out of control and dips in and out of tree lines.

I dont blame you for your opinion. No more than I blame people who dont appreciate what came before them. I pity you though. I pity the (fool :)) fact that you have become so accustomed to high g forces that a ride like The Beast becomes boring.

Its similar to people who hate older movies because its filmed different than newer movies....

Kids these days

(Full disclosure, I am a 28 year old who had a 65 Mustang as his first car, favorite movies are Great Escape and Jurassic Park, and prefers simpler things)

• Like 11

I agree that The Beast is not AS good as it is often made out to be, and that there are better woodies out there. But I thoroughly respect it as a wonderful and important ride. It isn't the most intense ride out there by any means. Heck, take away its setting, and I think it becomes a boring ride. But the setting is what makes the magic. Hugging the hilly terrain as you whip through a dense woods on a coaster that feels completely out-of-control... There's nothing quite like it. It pioneered the concept of the terrain coaster and put Kings Island on the national radar. While it may not be the "best" ride at Kings Island anymore, it is still a must-ride for me, and with the exception of Vortex, it is the coaster that I've ridden the most laps on. Though it is certainly not thrilling in the same way that a ride like Banshee or Diamondback is,The Beast is one of a kind, and it's something that coaster enthusiasts the world over recognize Kings Island for. And that is something that will always make it special to me.

Plus, those night rides...

• Like 5

To me, it's an apple to oranges comparison. Modern steel coasters are like fighter planes, carving up the sky in tight smooth technical curves. (now I can't wait for the Air show!) The Beast is a juggernaut, blindly crashing through the woods, and I love it.

• Like 4

Let's face it , The Beast isn't what it used to be . They have caged and chained this monster . I remember riding this back in the 80's and you felt like you was going to fly off the rails at any turn . Yes I still enjoy The Beast , but this is not the same ride experience that it was 35 years ago or even 10 years ago . This was the ride that made KI known all over the world . Something needs to be done to bring back that original ride experience . UNLEASH The Beast !

Is it possible that The Beast seems not as out of control and fast etc because we are older? When you are 14 riding a ride for the first time it is a frightening experience. When you ride that same ride every weekend or year its not the same it once was.

When I was 8 Iron Dragon was terrifying. I rode it a few years ago, and the hype I had in my mind (mind you I hadnt ridden it in almost 20 years) was no where near close.

We can become very jaded as a community. When you ride a ride so much you know the turns and you know the hills it can become very boring. Im sure in 20 years, if Banshee lasts that long (I think it will), we will be talking about how out of control it was before XYZ....

• Like 6

Is it possible that The Beast seems not as out of control and fast etc because we are older? When you are 14 riding a ride for the first time it is a frightening experience. When you ride that same ride every weekend or year its not the same it once was.

When I was 8 Iron Dragon was terrifying. I rode it a few years ago, and the hype I had in my mind (mind you I hadnt ridden it in almost 20 years) was no where near close.

We can become very jaded as a community. When you ride a ride so much you know the turns and you know the hills it can become very boring. Im sure in 20 years, if Banshee lasts that long (I think it will), we will be talking about how out of control it was before XYZ....

No they have added extensive brake runs , particularly the covered section and the braking after coming out of tunnel on first lift hill .

Would that be the same covered section that once served as a MCBR with kicker tires and skid brakes? Skid brakes were all replaced with magnetic.

Also if you check out

This looks to be pre-magnetic brakes. Brakes look longer than what we have now

EDIT:TERPED

• Like 2

[ quote name=The Interpreter" post="610725" timestamp="1398213731]The Beast is no more braked today than when it opened. The method of braking has changed, the degree of braking has not.[/quotes I believe it has the speed coming out of the covered section is not as fast as it used to be