Drop Tower? (update: now open!)

Delirium2018

My guess is that it is as simple as not having completed the required amount of testing to receive its certification from state inspectors yet. With the focus on the brand-new roller coaster across the midway, they may have let Drop Tower's testing slide to ensure that Banshee was ready for opening day. If that is the case, then now that Banshee is up and running, they would be able to turn attention to Drop Tower and hopefully get it certified this week.

Again, that is just my guess. I have no actual knowledge of what's going on.

• Like 11

Hopefully that's the case, and hopefully it will be up and running soon. That ride's so awesome and someone I know who was at the park for the 1st time for Media Day and Opening Day was disappointed it wasn't open. But thankfully Banshee seems to have running pretty well despite just a few short breakdowns.

• Like 4

The lift was sitting up at the top of the tower this morning, presumably going thru phases of testing. My guess is that Jeremy is on the right track. With the terrible winter/early spring that we've had in this area, there was likely a time crunch to get everything done for opening day.

• Like 1

Maybe it's getting painted? Some people say that it's in need of a new paint job but I love tge way it looks now. I still don't like Delirium's paint and I don't know how they could top off the old paint job. Plus does anyone know if Drop Towers at other Cedar Fair parks have operated yet?

• Like 1

The park never closes rides because of staffing issues.

No, they sometimes do. It's very, very rare, and the park will do everything in their power to avoid it (including cross-training from different departments, like Admissions or Food), but it sometimes still happens. If you don't have the people available, then not all the rides can run.

• Like 7

^^It was fixed and running, then had another failure requiring more parts, way different stories.

I had seen it cycle and run before on cams and whatnot, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. I looked at everything visible yesterday and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary or different/missing. I'm guessing the issue stems with what we do not see. I couldn't see if the '14 certification sticker was on the control box or not.

• Like 1

The lift was sitting up at the top of the tower this morning, presumably going thru phases of testing. My guess is that Jeremy is on the right track. With the terrible winter/early spring that we've had in this area, there was likely a time crunch to get everything done for opening day.

Who's Jeremy? :)

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

• Like 3

The park never closes rides because of staffing issues.

No, they sometimes do. It's very, very rare, and the park will do everything in their power to avoid it (including cross-training from different departments, like Admissions or Food), but it sometimes still happens. If you don't have the people available, then not all the rides can run.

This is true, very, very rarely.

As far as the train I'm wondering if they had to replace some of the train track? It could have been I don't know something to do with the State too, telling them that something has to be fixed before it can open. But I have no idea if that's true or not.

I know I saw the train running/testing early last week or the weekend before on the Diamondback cam. Why it wasn't running on opening weekend? I don't know. Maybe maintenance had their hands full with all the pre season/opening day/opening weekend gremlins and just didn't get everything 100% perfect. Heck even ET had a elevator stuck on Fri..

Later,

Mark

• Like 4

Remember back in 2006, the train was closed on opening day till the water park opened in May. When the park went over budget on there Nickelodeon area. Remember working that opening day in Nickelodeon, the paint on some of the rails were still wet.

Rumor was once upon a time that due to electrical demands, Flight of Fear couldn't launch at the same time as Drop Zone was in motion and they had a phone between the two rides where the FoF op would call for clearance to launch. Rumor was also that was fixed with a dual electric feed into the park. If the rumor is true, maybe similar issues with Banshee and Drop Tower. Again probably no truth to rumor, but I seem to recall that one once upon a time...

Remember back in 2006, the train was closed on opening day till the water park opened in May. When the park went over budget on there Nickelodeon area. Remember working that opening day in Nickelodeon, the paint on some of the rails were still wet.

I'm pretty positive that the train was delayed in 2006 because it had been operational for Winterfest that year