Drop Tower? (update: now open!)

Delirium2018

I got my first ever ride this morning during ERT. As I was sitting at the top of the tower with my heart beating out of my chest, I realized I not only hadn't ever ridden it before, I never even watched it run before. So I had absolutely no idea how long it would be before the drop, if there was any sort of warning, or anything. Definitely makes it more terrifying, especially when you are already thinking "I hope the cables they replaced are OK."

I really enjoyed it though. I rode it later in the day, and while I don't think it was quite worth an hour wait, it gave me a second favorite thing about the ride: the nearly subsonic sound it makes as it hits the brakes, as heard when you're below it. Otherworldly.

• Like 6

I rode it yesterday after hearing it got fixed and it was awesome as usual! :) I will say, however, that seeing Banshee from DT's queue is going to take some getting used to as either Son of Beast or blue skies (after SOB was removed/during Banshee's construction) are the views that I've been accustomed to seeing in the past.

• Like 4

Not sure how I feel about them using non Intamin parts on Drop Tower if that's true. Sometimes its not good to use aftermarket parts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'm not sure which part they replaced. The word on the street was that it was part of the motor, but it's also apparent that the cables were installed yesterday too. Regardless, I'm sure that they either used Intamin parts, or parts that Intamin recommended. You have to remember that there are dozens, if not hundreds, of parts to each ride that were not manufactured by the ride maker.

They replaced the cables. I have a picture of it with cables on one side and no cables on the other. You can kinda see it in my video as well. I asked the source and he said that they ordered new cables and they were all ready for opening day, but they didnt like the cables, so they ordered new ones from a different company.

zfd58my.jpg

J8sUsGd.jpg

I got my first ever ride this morning during ERT. As I was sitting at the top of the tower with my heart beating out of my chest, I realized I not only hadn't ever ridden it before, I never even watched it run before. So I had absolutely no idea how long it would be before the drop, if there was any sort of warning, or anything. Definitely makes it more terrifying,

Feel it stop moving, click. Count to 7, kachunk- woosh. Get back In line.

• Like 8

I rode it yesterday after hearing it got fixed and it was awesome as usual! :) I will say, however, that seeing Banshee from DT's queue is going to take some getting used to as either Son of Beast or blue skies (after SOB was removed/during Banshee's construction) are the views that I've been accustomed to seeing in the past.

Forget the view from the queue. The view of Banshee from around seats 5 to 10 at the top of the tower is AMAZING! A shame that there's no way to legally take a picture from up there. :)

• Like 2

Forget the view from the queue. The view of Banshee from around seats 5 to 10 at the top of the tower is AMAZING! A shame that there's no way to legally take a picture from up there. :)

I agree, the view of Banshee was pretty cool from what I saw (I was a little less than midway up the tower when I saw it). I was in either seat 22 or 32 (I can't remember), so at the top, I was facing Congo Falls and the parking lot.

• Like 1

I rode it ten times today, along with everything else (I wanted to do The Beast 10 times also but I decided to go get some extra credits on WE and the Vekoma family suspended) then at 6:45is it down poured and thundered until about 8:45 so we tried to go back but it was closed (the park). :/

Fried grass sounds gross but I'm random...

• Like 2

I got my first ever ride this morning during ERT. As I was sitting at the top of the tower with my heart beating out of my chest, I realized I not only hadn't ever ridden it before, I never even watched it run before. So I had absolutely no idea how long it would be before the drop, if there was any sort of warning, or anything. Definitely makes it more terrifying,

Feel it stop moving, click. Count to 7, kachunk- woosh. Get back In line.

I did exactly that 32 times in a row last Tuesday. :D:D:D:D

• Like 1

I've rode it a total of 2 times, both last season. I have avoided it for years, fear of heights, since I had been getting better at handling this last year, I rode it. Amazingly the ascent was reasonably enjoyable as I scanned the Banshee construction area. As the rotation stopped, and we prepared for the fall, a slight apprehension hit me, and down we went. Not as bad as I thought it would be. That said it was late afternoon / early evening, after many other rides. Later in the season, we went on as the first ride of the day, I had done this before, old hat right? NO, the ascent, while obviously no different than the first, was completely unnerving. It seemed an eternity after the rotation stopped that the ride continued to climb. Even after the ascent stopped, another eternity until the "click" at that point I could easily have counted to 70 ( it seemed ), when finally the great relief of the fall came, something I would've hated not that long ago.

I won't say I'll never ride it again. But I will say it will never again be my first ride of the day.

• Like 3