Drop Tower? (update: now open!)

Delirium2018

This may easily be rumor and speculation, but after poking & prodding a few places & people around the park all day yesterday. The main rumor is there is a broken part(s) on the ride and they are awaiting shipment and will take a few more weeks for them to even get here before repairs start. I heard a few times it was a cable(s) that needed replaced. So either the parts are being fabricated by Intamin themselves which would take awhile to make and then send all the way to here, or by some specialized manufacturer who knows where.

The ride is certified and able to run for the '14 season as evident in the sticker on controls. We did see the ride cycle a few times on the webcam prior to media day so this rumor seems to be the most consistent and feasable. So I guess we just wait for the ride to open after the park deems it safe and ready for daily operation. Again this is all possibly speculation but it easily makes the most sense.

• Like 4

Yeah, I was going to say. I was there today and the La Rosa's truck isn't there. Being able to see the Drop Tower sign made me realize there is a big bird's nest in the "O" of "Drop". I got a pic, but haven't uploaded it anywhere.

Seems like it might be a good sign, maybe it'll be up by the long weekend.

• Like 1

While my kids were stuck on Invertigo (the restraints would not release on the ride and the outer exit gates were frozen in the locked position), I talked with a worker who was locked out on the wrong side of the gate. He said Drop Tower is not broken. They were waiting on some general basic maintenance items and that it should be running by June 1st. Yep, you can take that with a grain of salt. :) Should I have put it in the Rumor section?

Greg Scheid said at the ACE event this weekend Drop Tower was operating the day before opening for test runs. It then broke and needs a part and they hope to have it open by early June. I'll take his word on it.

The food truck was moved to Rivertown (across from the new pretzel place) for the ACE event (Saturday). I imagine it was moved later that night to a behind the scenes area. The blue ice cream was good.

• Like 5

Greg Scheid said at the ACE event this weekend Drop Tower was operating the day before opening for test runs. It then broke and needs a part and they hope to have it open by early June. I'll take his word on it.

The food truck was moved to Rivertown (across from the new pretzel place) for the ACE event (Saturday). I imagine it was moved later that night to a behind the scenes area. The blue ice cream was good.

From what I've heard, it was available for employees to ride during one of their events. Looks like they are, in fact, waiting for a part from overseas. Too bad they didn't get one that was made in 'Merica. :)

• Like 1

Well, I was there today, and i observed some big piston like things just laying around. Ohiocolts will probably post his pictures that he took. I examined the rest of the catch car. but i did not see anywhere that those part could go, nor did i see any parts that looked like them. But the catch car was at the bottom, and they might replace the parts soon.

• 2 weeks later...

been a long time since ive been on here, but have visited and lurked. I heard that they were waiting on a part from Germany. and that it arrived but it wasn't the right part. but it was just rumors, so take it like salt grains.

I hope it'll be open by the tenth (I'm going to KI for the first time) and I'm DYING to ride this, I just conquered my fear of Drop Towers at carowinds and I wanna ride somthing bigger (I'm going to CP too, so I'll get some Drop Tower action ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

From what I've heard, it was available for employees to ride during one of their events. Looks like they are, in fact, waiting for a part from overseas. Too bad they didn't get one that was made in 'Merica. :)

I just remembered something....I shot some video during the KIC day last June while the KIC'ers were riding the vomit inducer (second top one for me following Vortex) known as Monster..it took a few moments to register Dane standing right next to me just saying "'Merica" over and over again.

• Like 2