Seat belts added to other Cedar Fair B&M coasters.

Hmm...Diamondback, Behemoth, and Intimidator all get seatbelts but not Leviathan? I wonder why that is...could the fact Leviathan is technically a "First-Gen" B&M Hyper (4-across seating) and that the other 3 are "2nd-Gen" (V-shape seating)...?

And there's only one more 2nd-Gen Hyper besides the 3 listed above- Shambhala @ Port Aventura in Spain. But it's not Cedar Fair, nor in the United States...

All of these are just some random thoughts I had...

According to all reports on KIC and other fan sites, capacity has been dramatically affected on all these coasters, which is a shame. Where is the line that makes a coaster need seat belts or not. For example Vortex and Flight Deck receiving seat belts, but then having them removed a few seasons later.

• Like 5

Seatbelts should not create this much of a hassle, when in fact the restraint is quite easy to check to begin with. I swear, I want to go on platform and show how it's done, it's pathetic.

Even with a quite brilliant and redundant restraint design, CF feels the need to add these to the rides, and B&M may have had input as well. Safety is the number one priority. If this improves safety, it's a good decision, regardless of a greatly redundant restraint or not.

• Like 10

According to all reports on KIC and other fan sites, capacity has been dramatically affected on all these coasters, which is a shame. Where is the line that makes a coaster need seat belts or not. For example Vortex and Flight Deck receiving seat belts, but then having them removed a few seasons later.

Vortex still has it's seat belt and has never been removed since it was added.

• Like 6

1. I don't understand why the V-seating vs the original 4 across seating would suddenly make a train require seat belts. The seat design is still the same between all the B&M hyper coasters. How does the seat configuration make them so different to get seat belts?

2. Why is it just the Cedar Fair B&M hypers? There are over a dozen other B&M hypers across the world; what makes them different to where they don't have seat belts (let alone Leviathan which is 308 ft and has an 80 degree first drop)? B&M hypers (or heck, any of their coasters) have a perfect record when it comes to ejections (0), thus it seems like a knee jerk reaction to the New Texas Giant and making people feel more comfortable. Yes, safety is paramount, but nothing has shown B&M hypers, in their configuration without the seat belts, to be dangerous. B&M designers are perfectionists, they've designed their rides to not necessitate seat belts.

• Like 2

Most likely its fall out from the Texas Giant. After the lady stood up on the Raven and fell the lap bars changed on all most all PTC coasters. While I don't think the B&M Hyper coasters need a seat belt its better to be safe.

Yep, Carowinds Connection is all abuzz with this information. I think it's a really dumb move, but of course, CF wants to stay on the safe side.

-Mer, annoyed with their decision.

Since when has a safety concern become annoying?

They were fine without the seatbelts. I'm all for safety, but I NEVER felt like those lap restraints were unsafe. I loved those.

• Like 2

I still don't think Kings Island manages Fast Lane correctly. It's done much different at Cedar Point and I'm not sure why that is? A training issue perhaps?But while on my afternoon Beast ride the separator at Beast was letting everyone through the Fast Lane line all at the same time while only allowing a few in the regular line go. I do not have a problem with Fast Lane I just wish it was handled a little better, it's not called Walk On Lane. I mean it should be an even amount of Fast Lane versus the normal line. Even if someone has to wait 5 to 10 minutes while in the Fast Lane Que that is still better then us waiting in line for 30 to 45 minutes. What do you all think?

• Like 9

^^Totally agreed....Fastlane at Disney is just as bad in many ways. There is nothing worse than waiting for two hours to be cut off at the entrance to wait for two people to walk up a quarter mile ramp to cut in front...and then waiting again for two more people to walk up the same ramp to board in front of you....and then ten out of your queue board.

The fairest pay-for-service method is Qbot....again, you schedule a ride, it judges a return time, and you either wait until your boarding time and after or you cancel and reschedule a ride. Either way only a few go in at a time and merge with the groups practically unnoticed.

If you are scheduled to return in an hour, go eat, shop or ride another ride from the lower class line. Either way you get two rides in within an hour rather than just one ride.

• Like 6

I'm sure that if DB had seatbelts from the beginning it wouldn't be an issue as far as capacity is concerned. I think that the fact that they added them after 5 years confuses people and that's what's slowing things down. I mean, how long does it take to buckle a seat belt?

• Like 2

Most coasters would have an increase of capacity if they did not have seat belts.

The fact is this coaster was advertised as a high capacity coaster, and with the addition of seat belts they ultimately cut the hourly capacity down by at least 400 people. It is just very strange that only CF parks added seat belts to their B&M hypers, a coaster style that has had no notable restraint malfunctions.

Buckling a seat belt in a normal circumstance like in a car may take no time at all, but in an amusement park these things can take minutes to accomplish (trust me I have seen it).

• Like 3

Most coasters would have an increase of capacity if they did not have seat belts.

The fact is this coaster was advertised as a high capacity coaster, and with the addition of seat belts they ultimately cut the hourly capacity down by at least 400 people. It is just very strange that only CF parks added seat belts to their B&M hypers, a coaster style that has had no notable restraint malfunctions.

Buckling a seat belt in a normal circumstance like in a car may take no time at all, but in an amusement park these things can take minutes to accomplish (trust me I have seen it).

Where did you get the number from? Just wondering if it is a published study.

Could it be that we are interpreting the wait as slower. I saw a post on here a few pages back that said a few years ago, one of the KIC users waited an hour and it felt like 30 mins but this year he waited an hour and it felt like 2 hours. Same amount of waiting.... Its funny how our brains perceive things. Its 100% possible that the seat belts are not slowing the ride down by much or if any, but because we know there is a new restraint added, it makes us believe the line is slower. Could it be that ride ops may not be 100% warmed up yet? Could it be that maybe there are more FL people? What if the guests are just slower?

The belts are here. No use in complaining....

Where did you get the number from? Just wondering if it is a published study.

Could it be that we are interpreting the wait as slower. I saw a post on here a few pages back that said a few years ago, one of the KIC users waited an hour and it felt like 30 mins but this year he waited an hour and it felt like 2 hours. Same amount of waiting.... Its funny how our brains perceive things. Its 100% possible that the seat belts are not slowing the ride down by much or if any, but because we know there is a new restraint added, it makes us believe the line is slower. Could it be that ride ops may not be 100% warmed up yet? Could it be that maybe there are more FL people? What if the guests are just slower?

The belts are here. No use in complaining....

I have not been back to KI since the belts were added, but the best way to tell if the belts are slowing the ride down is stacking. From my accounts, the train in the station is usually dispatched right around the time the train before it is on the last bunny hill or going into the spiral before the splashdown. If the trains stack on a regular basis, id say that the ride has been slowed down. If the trains dont stack, then it may be an issue with Fast Lane, otherwise i agree with you. People may be interpreting the line as moving slower just because change has happened, and a lot of people dont like change.

EDIT: I wonder if they ever thought of attaching the belt to the clamshell. Imo, that make capacity not even be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1