Big Coasters In Future?

Banshee Back VII

After all the recent issues Intamin AG rides have had, and Cedar Fair's change in direction, I can say Cedar Fair will PROBABLY never buy an Intamin anything in the near future. So no Gigas, Blitz Coasters, etc etc. from them.

As for a Giga period, that is actually a possibility still since B&M introduced their version of the 300-foot coaster with Leviathan in 2012, and it has gotten pretty solid reviews thus far with great capacity and reliability to boot, so I would not rule that out all. Also, just because Diamondback is marketed as "The Tallest, Fastest, Meanest" coaster to ever strike Kings Island does not mean it'll hold those titles forever, since Beast had similar marketing back when it debuted in 1979 ("The Biggest, Baddest, Longest and Fastest Roller Coaster in the World") and now it has been surpassed by other coasters in the park in every category save length.

• Like 8

I would take a B&M Floorless coaster over any 300ft B&M hyper coaster any day. KI could definitly, use another kiddy coaster, a Mack Wild Mouse coaster would be a great addition.... I would like if Soak City got some additions a Proslide Watercoaster comes to mind.

• Like 6

Diamondback is the tallest, fastest, and meanest (good way) coaster to strike in Kings Island history from 1972-????. That doesn't mean it will always hold that record. That spirit on the other side of the park may be the point. Our Eve has showed me the most spills out of any coaster I've been on.

• Like 3

Diamondback is the tallest, fastest, and meanest (good way) coaster to strike in Kings Island history from 1972-????. That doesn't mean it will always hold that record. That spirit on the other side of the park may be the point. Our Eve has showed me the most spills out of any coaster I've been on.

I havent been to KI this year yet, but will deffinately ride her.....but i must ask....what kind of "spills" besides protein???

I would take a B&M Floorless coaster over any 300ft B&M hyper coaster any day. KI could definitly, use another kiddy coaster, a Mack Wild Mouse coaster would be a great addition.... I would like if Soak City got some additions a Proslide Watercoaster comes to mind.

Kings Island has the most kids' coasters of any park in the world. A wild mouse would be great, and Soak City NEEDS new slides.

• Like 1

I have always had an idea for a Dual Station Coaster. One station could be in Action Zone and you ride half the coaster and it takes you to the other side of the park to Rivertown. Then you could ride the other half back if you wanted to, or just the one time to do stuff in Rivertown, then ride back or walk, depending on what you wanted to do.

• Like 4

That sounds pretty cool actually :). How about this.....one that has a station that is dry ( you don't get wet) over in Kings Island you can ride from Soak City. The other station is in Soak City that when you arrive, you get drenched. So you would arrive in Soak City getting drenched, and you would arrive in Kings Island dry because of the speed and air.

• Like 3

I think Kings Island has one of the most solid coaster lineups in the world. I would even argue that we have a better lineup than Cedar Point (I really, truly do not understand the hype around that park). I think that the focus should be on other areas for a while. I would love some more flats. I can't even tell you how much I'd love a Musik Express, a new Bayern Kurve, a (good) dark ride, or an S&S Screamin' Swing. As it stands, I can think of a park just a few hours to the east of Kings Island that has all of these things, and wouldn't you know it, it happens to be my favorite park ever despite a significantly smaller coaster lineup.

I'll admit that I'm a shameless coaster credit collector. Just yesterday, I drove clear to Columbus specifically to ride Sea Dragon and increase my count by one. I'll be the first to say that coasters are nice and really help draw people in. But as has been said, there is more to an amusement park than the coasters. Let people come for the coasters, but make them want to stay for everything else the park has to offer.

• Like 11

I have to agree with everyone who's said it- Kings Island has a nice, solid coaster lineup already and thus, before it gets to adding any more new coasters, the flat ride lineup could use some work (although Kings Island does have a nice flat ride selection even now, more flats could be used). On the more family-oriented side, stuff like Flying Eagles, Tilt-A-Whirl, etc etc. It wouldn't hurt to add another "big" thrilling flat ride like a Screamin' Swing either. The kids area has not gotten any true new attractions since 2006 (Planet Snoopy was just a re-theme in 2010), so if some family flat rides are added, they could go there. A new dark ride would also be awesome, since Boo Blasters has apparently deteriorated since my last visit (I rode it in 2010 and have yet to re-ride it, so I don't know what it's like now). Even a newer in-park water ride would be welcome...though it'd likely be a Mack since Intamin has really had problems with those recently.

Another non-coaster area that needs improvement in the ride lineup would be the waterslides at the waterpark. All of them are fairly old, with the "big thrill" waterslide being a ProSlide Funnel built in 2004. Go to Holiday World's waterpark, Splashin' Safari, and ride Zinga (another funnel) then compare that to Bakuli, Wildebeest, Mammoth, or Hyena Falls...yeah, Kings Island could use some new more modern water slides and perhaps a second "lazy" river (since they turned the current one "Action"). A Behemoth Bowl, Multi-Slide Complex, Water Coaster...there are a LOT of options KI could do in the waterpark.

After all that, then we come back to the coaster lineup, which is actually pretty solid right now. A B&M Invert was the "big hole" in the lineup, and it's been filled. As for what the park can do there...there are some good options. A Giga (as long as it's very different from DB layout-wise), Floorless, Wing Rider/4th Dimension (if I can choose, 4D), Modern Woodie (GCI, GG, or RMC) or Blitz (Intamin is out but I think other companies, like Mack, do do this ride type) would all be good fits for the park.

And that ends my big post. :P

• Like 4

Another kiddie coaster? I think KI has what? 3 or 4 kiddie coasters? CP, on the other hand, just has 2! (in both cases, I am not counting Pipe Dream or Surf Dog as coasters since most people do not view them as such.)

As for new coasters in the near future, we wonder about that too. The rumor is that Carowinds will get a B&M giga in 2015. Some people seem to think that KI will get a giga in 2016 or 17, but I wonder how much that would diminish the appeal and draw of Banshee... $24+ million is not chump change. However, since MF is our favorite ride thus far, we would love to see KI get a giga. That would help ensure that each of the major east coaster Cedar Fair parks has a giga!

With that said, I personally like the diverse coaster lineup at KI and hope that they continue to add to it to fill any possible voids. How about a giga in 2017 and a hyper winged coaster in 2020? One can only dream!

OK, found one- something like this would work:

http://www.coastercrazy.com/14086/Eureka

The capacity is, according to the guy who made it, 600pph- which is also what Vekoma claims for Flying Ace, and is similar to what Delirium & WindSeeker can do. I can see one of these, themed to Snoopy, working in the kids area as the "Big New Toy" in a Planet Snoopy expansion that would also add a couple new flats to the area.

Here's Flying Ace's RCDB page for capacity comparison, it says 650rph:

http://rcdb.com/1037.htm

A similar real-world ride- hey, 930pph:

http://rcdb.com/2657.htm

So how do the mouseys work at KD and Carowinds?

(Answer: Just fine)

And spinning mice, with the exception of Exterminator, are NOT as much fun. Why do people insist on modifying a classic ride and usually worsening it?

Thank heaven you aren't in charge at Knoebel's Grove Amusement Resort!

• Like 4

^
Eh...I wouldn't be able to know. Never been on either Wild Mouse "type"- classic or spinning. But, upon further thinking, a regular Wild Mouse would work too- I actually looked up a bunch of parks that have them, and some BIG popular parks- some even bigger than KI- do have Wild Mice. Europa Park gets 4,000,000+ guests a year and they have one...

I've also just seen some really, really fun-looking spinny Wild Mice in No Limits before.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a log flume style dark ride sort of like "Splash Mountain" but, of course, not on that scale. It would sort of be a throwback to the Enchanted Voyage and The Smurfs where you'd ride through in a boat. I also love the old dark ride at Dollywood called The Flooded Mine. This new ride could be themed and follow some sort of story line. The ending could have a splash down, not a huge one, but just big enough to give a thrill. I think something like this could be a unique addition to the park.

• Like 8