Big Coasters In Future?

Banshee Back VII

Or, leave Vortex standing and build a Mack or Gerstlauer looper in any of the numerous acres of land owned by the park that have not yet been used.

Why does everyone want to tear down a popular, reliable, high capacity ride that's been a park staple for over 25 years?

• Like 12

Good God, It's like every ones hating on the classic! Vortex is a capacity machine. Reliable and awesome!

I could see an intamin Pulse, King Cobra returns? ;)

Even a good euro fighter, the one we got up here in NH is awesome!

• Like 4

As much as i'd love to see a Giga at KI, I am quite discouraged from it. I am a diehard KI fan, but I have plenty of friends that prefer CP. Seeing as CP is seen as more of a thrill park, I constantly feel like that is where CF would prefer to install any planned Gigas in Ohio. I know there will be a Giga at KI one day, but I feel like it won't be for a VERY long time.

• Like 1

Good God, It's like every ones hating on the classic! Vortex is a capacity machine. Reliable and awesome!

I could see an intamin Pulse, King Cobra returns? ;)

Even a good euro fighter, the one we got up here in NH is awesome!

I knew I wasn't the only one that wanted a Euro-Fighter! :)

I'm kinda jaded, I guess... I've never been that jazzed about Eurofighters. I've ridden Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge at the Mall of America, Mystery Mine, and Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags over Georgia, and none of them were anything to write home about for me. Dare Devil Dive is one of the most uninteresting rides I've ever ridden, and the capacity seems way too small for what SFOG requires. I can't imagine that thing ever not having a full queue.

In the same way that Georgia Cyclone uses Rocky Mountain Construction's Topper Track to compliment the ride instead of redesign it, I'd like to see Beast get some work done. Somewhere around here is a topic about making up your own future plans for the park, and I still stand by my post with the idea of very subtly remodeling Beast to introduce more laterals and remove the number of trim brakes. It would do wonders. That's the next coaster I'd like to see at the park.

In response to the original post: no, I don't think the way they marketed Diamondback rules out getting a bigger ride in the future. It just meant that Diamondback was the biggest ride in the park's history. I do think that it isn't likely that we will see a bigger ride any time soon, though; coasters seem to come every five or more years with the way Cedar Fair works now. And for me, that's okay. With Banshee, Kings Island's lineup really doesn't have any major holes. I'd rather they put in new family-friendly flats for the next decade, but that's me.

• Like 2

Personally, i would like to see an Intamin launched wingrider in xbase. Kinda like Furius Baco at Port Adventura. Maybe it could come out of or dive into a concrete tunnel with barbed wire and fog in the middle of xbase like Oblivion at Alton Towers.

• Like 2

I think the perfect addition for a next coaster would be a Mack water coaster. I think Kings Island needs more intermediate rides; rides that are more exciting than what's in Planet Snoopy, but not up to par with the likes of Vortex, Beast, Vortex and Diamondback. Specifically, something with a height requirement between 36-48 inches. I also think Kings Island could use one more water ride in the 'dry' park. Mack water coaster fits both roles perfectly.

If going log flume specific, I'd go for a Hopkins flume. I really enjoyed Daredevil Falls at Dollywood; I'd love to see something like that in Rivertown.

I also have to agree with others wanting flat rides. Maybe Kings Island can get a wild mouse and a few flats to go with it, much like Knott's did with their Boardwalk expansion.

Wasn't aware there are two Vortexes now.

I think the perfect addition for a next coaster would be a Mack water coaster. I think Kings Island needs more intermediate rides; rides that are more exciting than what's in Planet Snoopy, but not up to par with the likes of Vortex, Beast, Vortex and Diamondback. Specifically, something with a height requirement between 36-48 inches. I also think Kings Island could use one more water ride in the 'dry' park. Mack water coaster fits both roles perfectly.

If going log flume specific, I'd go for a Hopkins flume. I really enjoyed Daredevil Falls at Dollywood; I'd love to see something like that in Rivertown.

I also have to agree with others wanting flat rides. Maybe Kings Island can get a wild mouse and a few flats to go with it, much like Knott's did with their Boardwalk expansion.

We'll The Bat does go by Vortex up North.

• Like 2

We'll The Bat does go by Vortex up North.

You know it does! Canada's Wonderland, here we come!

With this recent trend(assuming the Carowinds rumors are correct) of CF doing coasters that interact with the park's main gate area, I think a Dive Machine that dove into a hole outside the main gates would be pretty freaking cool.

Now if they could just make it a strata too.....

• Like 1

Popeye's Bilgewater Barges.....

Ripsaw Falls...

Also must-rides if I ever get to Universal & IOA, to be honest. Possibly even more than the coasters they have. ;)

(No offense- Hulk, Dragon Challenge, etc etc. look very fun but those water rides...)

I'm a coaster enthusiast but my 2 favorite rides anywhere are Splash Mountain and Ripsaw Falls. The Popeye ride is awesome too, and if you were a big-time Jurassic Park fan as a kid like I was, you will love that ride as well.

• Like 1

Banshee is pretty much a "gimmick" coaster.

Eh I'm not sure I agree with that. I would almost consider inverts to be a "classic" form of coaster these days. One of the reasons I love Banshee (and Diamondback) so much is because they DIDN'T go the gimmicky route, and instead perfected a type of coaster that has been around for a while now that, oh by the way, happens to be high-capacity.

I expect that KI will get another high-profile roller coaster in probably 5 more years, and when they do, I hope they continue to follow the Banshee/Diamondback model again instead of going the "the world's first!" or "the U.S.'s only!" route, or some other kind of gimmick...though at the same time, I'll take whatever we can get!

• Like 3

Those "gimmicks" are what attract general public. Even though they will always flock to a new ride at the park.

Speaking of which, how many people do you think that when the Kings Island rides got new names after changing ownership, thought they actually were new rides?

Those "gimmicks" are what attract general public. Even though they will always flock to a new ride at the park.

Speaking of which, how many people do you think that when the Kings Island rides got new names after changing ownership, thought they actually were new rides?

Actually a lot since that was the same year Firehawk debuted.

• Like 1

Where do you draw the line between upgrading your biggest parks constantly vs upgrading your smaller parks to draw more visitors? Obviously location, location, and location are the most important factors but do you wait for the area around your property to start growing or are you proactive in spurring that growth?

I know very little of Dorney but I've picked up that's it's in a less safe area compared to Kings Island, which I've literally grown up around and have always had in my life. By comparison I think any amusement park would seem that way to me. In my mind the years of metal detectors were blasphemous.

I guess in a way I'm asking for you to elaborate slightly.