Big Coasters In Future?

Banshee Back VII

Right, I mean not to sound rude or anything whatsoever, but the ADA compliance thing is the big issue with alot of builds from here on out. Look at all the rides that have ramps, elevators, etc. now that since the 70's did not ever have it. Lots have changed, not necessarily bad at all, but it is an important factor in the future.

And do understand, there is no such thing as grandfathering under the ADA.

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia, or any United State. There is no legal advice meant for a particular client contained herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. This is a disclaimer.

No there is not, again, not a bad thing at all. I hated seeing a guest be carried up the stairs, or unable to come up because they were in a wheelchair/scooter and were unable to join their children/etc on the ride.

I'm glad everything is starting to finally work itself out for most parks across the chain. There is one straggler, and we all know who I'm referring to.

• Like 1

Although Banshee is good ride, Kings Island needs something to really put them back on the map. To be honest, Diamondback isn't really that tall in comparison to the giga and strata coasters out there. I would like to see a giga coaster come to Kings Island in the next couple of years. Something fast, like over 90 mph and maybe it could be the longest steel coaster in the world; they could name it 'Steel Beast' or something in The Beast family. I've been going to Kings Island my whole life and although it will always be my favorite park,it's losing some of it's sting with the intensity of the coasters. I think the reason is that Cedar Fair doesn't want any of their parks doing better than Cedar Point, but CP is running out of space while KI has a lot of room to work with. Come on Kings Island I've been waiting a long time for a giga and so have a lot of other thrill junkies. Break free and give us your worst!

I didn't know Kings Island was ever "off" the map.

• Like 4

I'm glad everything is starting to finally work itself out for most parks across the chain. There is one straggler, and we all know who I'm referring to.

I do not know which park is the straggler being referred to, but I do know that there is one park in the Cedar Fair chain that is not required to abide by the ADA. Though I'm sure something similar is probably in place for them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I could see Kings Island getting a GCI before a giga. I think the park is really missing a good woodie like Prowler or Gold Striker. Don't get me wrong, I love both The Beast and Racer, but we could always use another wooden coaster to surpass SFGAm as "Wooden Coaster Capital of the World".

• Like 3

Honestly, I could see Kings Island getting a GCI before a giga. I think the park is really missing a good woodie like Prowler or Gold Striker. Don't get me wrong, I love both The Beast and Racer, but we could always use another wooden coaster to surpass SFGAm as "Wooden Coaster Capital of the World".

...because Mr. Ouimet is so distraught at Cedar Point losing the coaster total crown to Magic Mountain.

Yeah, right.

Records are almost, but not quite, totally irrelevant to his business model.

Mr. Kinzel has left the building.

Thankfully.

• Like 7

Although Banshee is good ride, Kings Island needs something to really put them back on the map. To be honest, Diamondback isn't really that tall in comparison to the giga and strata coasters out there. I would like to see a giga coaster come to Kings Island in the next couple of years. Something fast, like over 90 mph and maybe it could be the longest steel coaster in the world; they could name it 'Steel Beast' or something in The Beast family. I've been going to Kings Island my whole life and although it will always be my favorite park,it's losing some of it's sting with the intensity of the coasters. I think the reason is that Cedar Fair doesn't want any of their parks doing better than Cedar Point, but CP is running out of space while KI has a lot of room to work with. Come on Kings Island I've been waiting a long time for a giga and so have a lot of other thrill junkies. Break free and give us your worst!

I didn't know Kings Island was ever "off" the map.

I'm just saying that when you put in things like WindSeeker although CP also put it in. Thrill seekers would rather go to Cedar Point than KI. I just don't see KI going anywhere with Cedar Fair owning them. CP is their top priority but sooner or later they'll run out of space unless they replace coasters. KI has space to create whole new sections.

This is a common misconception:

* Cedar Point is nowhere near out of space.

* Dick Kinzel has retired. If anything, Canada's Wonderland is getting more attractions than Cedar Point. Also watch Carowinds.

* Kings Island has gotten Banshee, Firehawk and Diamondback. This would not have happened under Paramount Parks.

• Like 7

This is a common misconception:

* Cedar Point is nowhere near out of space.

* Dick Kinzel has retired. If anything, Canada's Wonderland is getting more attractions than Cedar Point. Also watch Carowinds.

* Kings Island has gotten Banshee, Firehawk and Diamondback. This would not have happened under Paramount Parks.

I am genuinely curious to know what land they have to work with unless something is destroyed. And Paramount Parks would have eventually gotten coasters just like or even bigger than the three you stated. Under them KI got Flight of Fear, Son of Beast and other world class rides. Obviously they had no problem testing the limits. Now don't get me wrong, Banshee and Diamondback are the two best rides in the park next to The Beast. But under Paramount, they didn't worry about if it would affect other parks because they didn't have favorites.

I'll let Terpy answer the space comments.

I'm curious to what you mean by World Class Rides? My definition, spectacular one of a kind ride experiences that operated as intended more than one season. Son of Beast and Tomb Raider: The Rider are no longer in existence, they tested the limits and failed. While they both were great rides when operating truly as they were intended, they didn't last that way. The park got Italian Job: Stunt Coaster, but like Tomb Raider: The Ride, Paramount carelessly forgot to maintain the theming that made the rides "world class rides."

I don't believe Paramount would have invested in the park as Cedar Fair has. Also, realize during Paramount's reign at Kings Island, they weren't participating in the "coaster wars." They weren't trying to really break on the scene, but focused on each park, a little at a time. Whereas, Cedar Fair is constantly putting capital into parks, in the form of re-vamping areas, new coasters, attractions, etc. across the park portfolio. While Cedar Point and Valleyfair are the "Flagship" parks of Cedar Fair, the corporation is constantly putting capital in other parks. Each park can't get a new coaster every year. That's recipe for financial disaster.

• Like 1

And Paramount Parks had changed by the end. Then, it was owned by CBS. Corporate headquarters had moved from Cincinnati to Charlotte, they moved their best managers there, moved the Flying Eagles there, had plans to move Flight of Fear there, and openly referred to Carowinds as their flagship park.

It was Carowinds that, along with Kings Island, in 2005 tested Winterfest.

Had CBS kept running Kings Island, I'm not sure the park would even be open today. If it was, Flight of Fear would be gone, the train likely would be, and the park would have fewer major attractions, be not as clean, and would get little attention from CBS corporate. CBS didn't know or like the park business. And it showed.

• Like 4

I'm curious to what you mean by World Class Rides? My definition, spectacular one of a kind ride experiences that operated as intended more than one season. Son of Beast and Tomb Raider: The Rider are no longer in existence, they tested the limits and failed. While they both were great rides when operating truly as they were intended, they didn't last that way. The park got Italian Job: Stunt Coaster, but like Tomb Raider: The Ride, Paramount carelessly forgot to maintain the theming that made the rides "world class rides."

I don't believe Paramount would have invested in the park as Cedar Fair has. Also, realize during Paramount's reign at Kings Island, they weren't participating in the "coaster wars." They weren't trying to really break on the scene, but focused on each park, a little at a time. Whereas, Cedar Fair is constantly putting capital into parks, in the form of re-vamping areas, new coasters, attractions, etc. across the park portfolio. While Cedar Point and Valleyfair are the "Flagship" parks of Cedar Fair, the corporation is constantly putting capital in other parks. Each park can't get a new coaster every year. That's recipe for financial disaster.

They are already in financial disaster, do you know how much they are in debt? Alot. They weren't very smart with their money.

They are already in financial disaster, do you know how much they are in debt? Alot. They weren't very smart with their money.

Yes, they are in debt, financial disaster? No. If they were in financial disaster, they'd be selling off all but a few parks or the parks would be going into foreclosure. They may have taken on too much when they acquired Paramount Parks, but it was either all or none. They saw the potential for growth both in portfolio and in finances (yes even some loss helps gain).

I'm just saying that CP has gotten alot of major record breakers and with Cedar Fair over Kings Island there's only been one. I'm not bashing KI, I love them, however I feel like they can definently do better.

Only one at Kings Island? Diamondback (1), Banshee (2). You have seemed to miss the point that CP is part of the flagship, of course they're going to have major record breakers. Since Cedar Fair has acquired Paramount Parks, Cedar Point has gotten how many record breakers? 2006 Skyhawk (world's largest swinging thrill ride), 2007 Maverick and in 2013 Gatekeeper. So they're only 1 record breaker ahead of Kings Island.

But remember just because a ride is a record breaker, doesn't mean that it's the best for a park. Those that push the limit also push the strain on operations. Maverick, how late did it open compared to it's scheduled opening day?

I agree with you, there can be more added to the park, but to imply that they really don't care to add much to Kings Island isn't correct. Be thankful that they've done so much around the park when a major ride isn't added.

• Like 4

As long as KI continues to improve and build new rides as they have been, I'm happy with that. I think we will continue to see coasters being built in the 4 to 5 year spans they have been doing. One or two parks may get more attention than some others but that doesn't mean KI will be ignored.

• Like 6

Yes, they are in debt, financial disaster? No. If they were in financial disaster, they'd be selling off all but a few parks or the parks would be going into foreclosure. They may have taken on too much when they acquired Paramount Parks, but it was either all or none. They saw the potential for growth both in portfolio and in finances (yes even some loss helps gain).

I'm just saying that CP has gotten alot of major record breakers and with Cedar Fair over Kings Island there's only been one. I'm not bashing KI, I love them, however I feel like they can definently do better.

Only one at Kings Island? Diamondback (1), Banshee (2). You have seemed to miss the point that CP is part of the flagship, of course they're going to have major record breakers. Since Cedar Fair has acquired Paramount Parks, Cedar Point has gotten how many record breakers? 2006 Skyhawk (world's largest swinging thrill ride), 2007 Maverick and in 2013 Gatekeeper. So they're only 1 record breaker ahead of Kings Island.

But remember just because a ride is a record breaker, doesn't mean that it's the best for a park. Those that push the limit also push the strain on operations. Maverick, how late did it open compared to it's scheduled opening day?

I agree with you, there can be more added to the park, but to imply that they really don't care to add much to Kings Island isn't correct. Be thankful that they've done so much around the park when a major ride isn't added.

How is Diamondback a world record breaker? And every ride, no matter what the size will have some problems of it's own, large or small. I guess I'm just ranting cause I want KI to be as good as possible.

• Like 1