Big Coasters In Future?

Banshee Back VII

In the industry, not necessarily a "record breaker." However, it is consistently in the rankings as a favorite ride throughout the country by enthusiasts.

I'm with you, I want KI to be as good as possible, but they can't do it so quickly. Think of one of Carowinds current teasers: Rome Wasn't Built In A Day. Cedar Fair as a whole wasn't built in a day. Look back to one of my earlier replies, Cedar Fair is constantly putting capital into parks, in the form of re-vamping areas, new coasters, attractions, etc. across the park portfolio.

Imagine if all Cedar Fair did, was put coasters in. 1) The park would run out of useable room, 2) The park would be over-capitalized, 3) Guests would easily get frustrated at the lack of anything else to do, 4) Parks would stop being "family friendly" 5) Loss of attendance with the younger and older crowds.

Taking a season off to add a family ride/small thrill ride or revamping an area or making general park improvements is not a bad thing but is much needed. It helps KI to be as good as possible. With things being upgraded/repaired/revamped every so often, makes the atmosphere of the park much better. Small improvements, family rides, small thrill rides will bring in more people who don't necessarily enjoy roller coasters or prefer milder experiences, bringing in more $ for improvements such as a new roller coaster.

Like I said, I'm with you, just be patient :) . Who knows, for 2016 we could be getting the first dueling S&S Arrow 4D coaster!

• Like 9

If you want to see an example of a park that adds too many coasters time after time compared to a park that focuses on the little things every once in a while, I direct you to Six Flags Magic Mountain vs Knott's Berry Farm.

• Like 2

If you want to see an example of a park that adds too many coasters time after time compared to a park that focuses on the little things every once in a while, I direct you to Six Flags Magic Mountain vs Knott's Berry Farm.

Direct us for what purpose exactly?

I happen to believe one of those two parks has far more charm, character, and--dare I say it?--fun than the other. I highly prefer the mountain to the farm.

Uh...what was your point again?

• Like 2

Just because a coaster is new (or record breaking for that matter) doesn't make it better. Just because a coaster is older (or milder) doesn't make it worse.

I wouldn't want a new coaster each year, and I love coasters.

Everyone has their own preferences with rollercoasters. To me, it seems that you like the intermidiate coasters. However, I will go on anything no matter what the size. That's why I hope KI gets a giga coaster or something bigger in the near future.

Good Luck with that.

KI JUST got its big year. Not again for some time, if past is prologue.

There's Knotts, Dormey, Cedar Point, Valleyfair, Kings Dominion, Worlds of Fun...

Yes, if the past is a reference, then they'll get a new coaster in 2016 or 2017. Which isn't too far away.

The height of the ride makes it a thrill for some. If I recall correctly, the ride safety sign lists it as a "4 - high thrill" attraction on a 5-point thrill scale. I believe Knott's Berry Farm rated their WindSeeker a 5.

Coasters are added every year, just not at the same parks.

I meant every year at KI
I'd say most who participate in this community are aware of what you implied. Sometimes when you leave your posts open ended people will have a little fun with them.

How are those sarcastic, mischievous, or otherwise facetious fonts coming along?

• Like 3

I don't just like intermediate, or even prefer them (beyond their being good coasters for creating future coaster lovers). Really, I love them all. Diamondback and Banshee are two of my absolute favorites. I wouldn't say no to another huge record-breaker, I just think shouldn't be the only goal.

If the park started catering exclusively to enthusiasts, they would go under really fast. People who only come for the new, the record-breakers, are going to get bored and move on the moment something newer and superlative came around.

• Like 3

I don't just like intermediate, or even prefer them (beyond their being good coasters for creating future coaster lovers). Really, I love them all. Diamondback and Banshee are two of my absolute favorites. I wouldn't say no to another huge record-breaker, I just think shouldn't be the only goal.

If the park started catering exclusively to enthusiasts, they would go under really fast. People who only come for the new, the record-breakers, are going to get bored and move on the moment something newer and superlative came around.

I come to parks exclusively for the thrill rides. You say people like me will get bored with them and move on. I ride The Beast as often as I can and I never get tired with it.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that both compete the same market and both have their fair share of thrilling rides, but whereas SFMM always adds thrill rides anymore, Knott's keeps a more rounded collection and blows SFMM out of the water in attendance. There are a lot of seasonal parks that pull more than SFMM.

It sounded a lot smarter in my head than when I posted it.

• Like 2

If you're riding The Beast over and over, you're clearly not among people coming only for the new record-breakers :) I wasn't referring to people who are exclusively into thrill rides, because those will visit KI again and again, but to people who seem to think that record-breaking and new trumps ride experience. The Beast is some of my best proof that it doesn't have to be new to be excellent.

I guess I fear losing any more good coasters because they're not new or groundbreaking enough to seem special enough to overcome costs of maintenance issues. I already fear for some of the ones at KI, one in particular. I don't want to see them razed so something bigger but not necessarily better can take their place. I also don't want to see the park become so focused on thrills (even though they are my favorite, too), that their family base becomes alienated from having too few things to do.

• Like 3

I agree. Plus while the thrill rides are my favorite I do enjoy going on the other stuff like log flumes, bumper cars, etc. at parks. Was sad to see the Les Taxis get taken out when they did.

I love riding coasters and always excited to see a new one added, but I think a well rounded ride portfolio is what really makes a park. That's why I really want to see some new flats added to Kings Island. Other than WindSeeker I think the last real family or thrill flat ride added was Delirium, but numerous ones have been taken out since that time.

• Like 1

If you're riding The Beast over and over, you're clearly not among people coming only for the new record-breakers :) I wasn't referring to people who are exclusively into thrill rides, because those will visit KI again and again, but to people who seem to think that record-breaking and new trumps ride experience. The Beast is some of my best proof that it doesn't have to be new to be excellent.

I guess I fear losing any more good coasters because they're not new or groundbreaking enough to seem special enough to overcome costs of maintenance issues. I already fear for some of the ones at KI, one in particular. I don't want to see them razed so something bigger but not necessarily better can take their place. I also don't want to see the park become so focused on thrills (even though they are my favorite, too), that their family base becomes alienated from having too few things to do.

No I come for any record holder, new or old. Now, that's not to say I don't enjoy non-record holders it's that, for me, there's about 4 coasters at KI that still have a kick to them. And I just what KI to get more extreme rides in like CP. But I guess it's all in due time. Also, I too have some sentiment when it comes to older rides. I don't want to see them go as long as they are thrilling. For example, I would be devasted if they got rid of Vortex, but I wouldn't care if they demolished Adventure Express.

Isn't there a saying about how life's not fair because by the time we are old enough to understand and enjoy our bodies are too old?

I have a feeling this works great for coaster enthusiasts as well ... When you get older you will appreciate the "not as thrilling" rides. More so when you can't get to the park or endure many rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

That, and even though Arrow mine train rides have very long life spans, they won't be around forever. I ride all the Arrows at the park as often as I can because they're a breed headed toward extinction.

That's the same reason I've ridden more of the old flats this year too.

As we age we appreciate things in a totally different manner.

• Like 3

Personally CP's lineup is Outragously overrated anyway. Millennium Force, Maverick, and Raptor are the only rides there I really enjoyed.

Top Thrill Dragster was cool but waiting an hour for a 30 second ride kind of kills it IMO. There's not a Coaster at KI I don't enjoy except Invertigo just not a fan. I'd take KI's lineup any day over CP's.

• Like 1