Soul of Vortex?

thoe124

I just had this crazy out of the blue idea for a new ride. I don't know if its a good one, but hear me out. So I thought that when Vortex closes, (which I hope is not soon, but it will have to close some time {all rides do}), they could leave it standing, and make it look like it has been closed for a long time. Like they just abandoned it after the track split or it derailed or something. They could leave a train valleyed between the loops, and have some bent ends of rails and missing track after the MCBR. They could put skeletons in the valleyed train and have a skeleton filled train waiting in the station. The chain could be rusty and broken and a train could be sitting on the lift. You get the idea. Make it look like an accident happened and KI abandoned it. Then they could install an INTAMIN Blitz coaster or a Mack launch coaster under Vortex and in the woods behind it. They could call it Soul of Vortex or something like that. It could be the same colors as Vortex and have some of the same elements, but for the most part stay really low to the ground. Could have lots of Vortex-y theming and possibly utilize Vortex's station! Could also interact with some of Vortex, like going through one of the loops or through the station or something like that. What do you guys think?

Actually, this reminds me of something Alton Towers did. They had a Vekoma looping coaster called Corkscrew, it was about 70 ft tall, 2 corkscrews, had a lot of turns and a helix section, fairly simple coaster. Its significance was it was the first looping coaster in England. It was pretty well loved by Alton Towers' fans. They did have to remove it in favor of Thirteen, but they kept Corkscrews' corkscrews and put them in the front of the park as a memorial to the ride. It actually looks pretty sharp.

db2gn2au800bkbh02000hj.jpg

Photo courtesy of RCDB.com.

• Like 14

I've asked it before, I'll ask it again:

Why is everyone so hell-bent on tearing down a popular, high-capacity, reliable ride such as Vortex that's been a park staple for nearly three decades when the park has acres upon acres of undeveloped land on which they could build new rides without demolishing old ones?

• Like 14

I'm saying WHEN it gets torn down. By all means, I don't WANT it to be torn down, but I thought this would be cool for WHEN Vortex is too old to be safe to ride on. Im not hoping that they tear it down. I just thought it would be cool to make this new thing under it. Heck they could even re theme it and keep it operating but still add the new stuff I talked about earlier!

Oh ok! I didn't know arrow coasters lasted that long! So my idea is probably really unlikely, but I still think it would be really cool if they did retheme it and make another ride under it. I'll draw up something on paper.

I really like the idea, I just feel like it's too soon to be thinking of any plans like this. Plus, I find it really unlikely. Even though KI enthusiasts like us would enjoy seeing such a thing done to such an iconic ride, the public that come into the park would probably think the abandoned coaster was an eyesore (should I remind you of SOB?) :)

• Like 2

I really like the idea, I just feel like it's too soon to be thinking of any plans like this. Plus, I find it really unlikely. Even though KI enthusiasts like us would enjoy seeing such a thing done to such an iconic ride, the public that come into the park would probably think the abandoned coaster was an eyesore (should I remind you of SOB?) :)

I was just thinking about that. They could tear down the tall parts and keep the inversions so its not so ugly but still visible through trees and stuff.

Here are the drawings i came up with:

duga5azu.jpg

This is just a sketch. The red track is an idea for a new coaster with a heartline roll through Vortex's old loop. Sorry couldn't add more feel to it. It's hard to draw rust with a drying out pen lol.

u7a4a6u5.jpg

This is a possible track layout / map.

• Like 1

Here are the drawings i came up with:

duga5azu.jpg

This is just a sketch. The red track is an idea for a new coaster with a heartline roll through Vortex's old loop. Sorry couldn't add more feel to it. It's hard to draw rust with a drying out pen lol.

u7a4a6u5.jpg

This is a possible track layout / map.

I like it. I just don't know if it would be a benefit to the park financially. Even if the ride is closed, they would still have to do maintenance to the track of The Vortex to ensure that the supports don't collapse and that the track is sturdy.

Steel coasters like any coaster can practically remain up indefinately. Just need a fine toothed comb to check and keep the ride operating at 100% as long as possible. Steel have it easier than wood as well in this regard, less to inspect, less to fail. However, when something does fail, it costs quite a bit.

One of the most crazy costs I ever saw was a sensor on PT that cost about 2K dollars to replace..yikes.

• Like 4