Original International Street

DBInternational

Howdy everyone,

While I was at the park this last Saturday, my little sister asked me a question I hadn't thought of in a while: "Why is this part of the park 'International'? I don't see anything International about it." So I continued to explain to her how when the park first opened that the different sections of it were themed like different part of the world much like Walt Disney's Epcot. But as I tried to explain which nations each section represented everything seemed to look either German or Spanish, not really anything else. Am I correct or were there other different nations represented on I-Street?

14137587323_1e73152d21_o.png

If I had to guess based on the above image I'd say:

A = Spain

B = France

C = Germany

D = South America

Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks,

DBI

to the left of A, (outside of the boundaries) Is France (Parisian café plus the Starbucks building.)

A: is correct.

B: Looks kind of French, but I cant be for sure....I'll have to do a little research.

C: is Swiss

D: is German

Edit: B apparently is French and Italian where Larosa's Pizza is located.

check this out.

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1972/pki197x_1.html

• Like 3

Depends on how you use the word "expansion" it certainly a crowd issue to include safety as well. There were curbs along the street that you had to step up to to get into many of the shops. If you look at LaRosa's you will see the tables tucked into the trees close to the shop itself. Obviously it was very crowded and cramped during busy times getting in and out of the shops a busy street with curbs and guests made for a unsafe atmosphere. How can they rearrange the area to expand upon the greater good of the guests needs and a safer environment. Move the trees to the other side and expand the seating area greatly take out the curbs to expand the street right up to the building for an easy entrance and exit. So yes you are technically right but they did expand much needed areas by rearranging the area.

• Like 5

I watched videos of Kings Dominion that were made not too long ago, and they still play instrumental music on their International Street (Heck, they still even play movie music.). Since Canada's Wonderland and Kings Dominion had their fountains and International Street's redone and remodeled, which means Kings Island is most likely next, it would be nice to see our entrance restored to its International theming.

Interesting to watch the thread... Don Quixote comes right out of the buildings near Starbucks... seems kinda Spanish to me. German stuff near the Festhaus, lots of French stuff. Loved the theming back in the day. And the 'vine tunnel' between the kids area and River Town... times change. Some for the better, some less so. Love KI either way though!

• Like 4

The shops on International street once sold imported items from the country of origin, I'd like to see that return, along with the demo shops, like the Rainbo bread and Kahn's sausage demos. We still have the Glassblower, right? (I don't usually venture into the shops these days.)

• Like 1

Over the years we have enjoyed shopping at Kings Island and picked things up along the way but more so several years back like King Cobra years back. The shoppes had unique items and didn't have the parks name placed on it. I must be honest there is nothing in my living room with any park name on it. Oh we do have several items we have bought at different parks as a reminder of a of a day filled with family fun but it may have been a simple bird house bought at Kings Island.

Recently it seems that most items are sold with Kings Island name on it and I can't remember buying anything like that in a long time. I understand they must sell a lot of it or they would quit doing that. Our most recent trip my wife wanted to go to Girl Space shop on International Street because they often sold trending cloths without the parks name on it. Well she was very disappointed to find it was now stocked with clothing that you could find at the other shops in the park and yes the parks name was on it. For me I acted disappointed in front of her but honestly I was smiling knowing I was going to save money this year.

• Like 4

In my opinion the only store worth anything is the glass blower. Every other sells the same thing as the other stores. My daughter buys one new t-shirt a year, as she likes to wear them at school but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2