Haunt 2014

ki95

Most of the park rides are open during Haunt, except SRR, CF and WWC (Haunt locale), and ALL the rides in Planet Snoopy. The park wasn't that busy on opening night last Friday. I arrived at 6:15, did every maze and scare zone and every open ride save for FOF and BLSC without Fright or Fast Lane by the time the park closed. The longest maze lines were for Kill Mart, Madame Fatale and Tombstone, which were all only about 10-15 minutes. Rides were virtual walk ons save for BLSC and FOF (30 minutes). Diamondback was listed at 30 when I got there, but halfway through the line, she went down for about 20 minutes (they closed the que behind me). Once open, I was on in about 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Was at Haunt on Friday. This is one of my favorite times of the year at the park. The rides and atmosphere were great, the Haunts we experienced could be great, but the actors have zero energy.

That being said many of the actors I watched either in scare zones or in the haunts were not trying. Just standing there or even worse in multiple scare zones it was actor social hour. I don't think the actors are being paid to socialize with one another and area managers need to be aware of this issue. Also I noticed many of the roamers breaking character multiple times to give directions, say hello, or hold conversation with park guests. The quality of acting is down greatly this year. Will be attending later in October and hope to see some dramatic improvement.

• Like 8

I have never been to Haunt and I have a question. I am aware that it is not recommended to bring kids... I read the disclaimer and I have read through some of the past threads about it. That being said, my daughter REALLY wants to go, mostly just to be able to ride the rides late at night but she is also into "scary" stuff like Goosebumps and the like. She's a pretty fearless kid, so I think she can handle it. I pulled up some videos on UTube from past haunts so she could see the decorations and the actors walking around and she thought it looked really cool and not too scary. I was thinking we would probabaly skip the mazes but was wondering though, if anyone thought any of the existing mazes were less intense than others? If so which ones? I thought we might try one just to see, but I don't want to freak her out too bad.

Just an update to my post a few weeks back... I took my daughter who's 6 and a half on Friday and she was super excited until she saw the wall of monsters at the gate when we were having our passes scanned. She announced "I am not okay with this!" and we almost left. After a few high fives and waves from the actors she decided she liked it afterall so we stayed. She was totally fine with all of the decorations and the actors... until it got dark. Then she was really freaked out walking through the fog and not being able to see. We watched Skeleton Crew which she really liked but then spent the rest of the night running from ride to ride so that no one would touch her or try to scare her. It was actually kind of fun listening to her with her map out plotting the shortest safest distance from point A to point B each time. When the zombie apocalype comes, she will definately be a survivor! Overall, we got several night rides on everything, ate a lot of junk food, and she got rewarded with a glowing skeleton necklace for being so brave. We didn't attempt any mazes although she was tempted after seeing the girls in costume hanging out and chit-chatting outside of Delta Delta Die because she liked their dresses. Overall I'm glad I took her but we will probably stick to Sundays for the rest of the season. I am going this Friday for the first time all year with other grown-ups though so I am super excited to see the mazes and to finally get to ride the 54 inch rides that my daughter is too short for!

• Like 10

Stupid rain... I talked a bunch of my friends into buying tickets for the Haunt tonight online last week, now the weather is crappy. Since their is no refunds guess we are going regardless. At least maybe that will mean the lines will be short. Can someone tell me which mazes are outside so we can plan around them if if doesn't clear up?

• Like 1

^ All mazes are indoors except CornStalkers and Tombstone Terror-Tory. There are also outdoor scare zones located on park midways. Outdoor attractions do close for inclement weather, but they reopen when conditions allow.

Rainy & cold days can be great days to visit, as crowds are greatly influenced by weather. Just make sure you're dressed to be comfortable tonight when it's in the lower 40°s with a chance of rain - there's no re-entry into the park.

• Like 3

https://twitter.com/kingsislandpr/status/517046801610731520

Geeze, how many sponsors does Haunt have (first SafeAuto now Taco Bell?! Lol) & how many times will they reuse this commercial?! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

More to come I'm sure. Anything to increase business and revenue to make KI a better place to visit year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

• Like 1

Stupid rain... I talked a bunch of my friends into buying tickets for the Haunt tonight online last week, now the weather is crappy. Since their is no refunds guess we are going regardless. At least maybe that will mean the lines will be short. Can someone tell me which mazes are outside so we can plan around them if if doesn't clear up?

The rain held off tonight, I took my cousin. I went twice through Slaughterhouse, once with my husband as soon as I got there, and again when my cousin arrived.

It was a great night, we got on all of our favorites rides, got through the Haunts, (and one twice, as stated), and the weather and people were great. I think I'm going to go early next year, too. I was happy that all the monsters were in character and on top so early in the season.

My cousin has a tendency to laugh when he's surprised- it's not an insult to the monsters, it's just the way he is.

On a side note, this year is the first time the fog got to me. It could be other factors, such as pollen still being in the air this early, or the fact that it just stopped raining, but it was a bit of a surprise.

• Like 3

We left as the rain opened up right around 10.

We went with a group through Corn Stalkers. The whole group entered and went right, which is not part of the haunt. We went left and had some of the truly best scares of the entire evening.

Haunt is very well done. Great details great scarectors, everything.

• Like 3

The make up was better this year, very good. As testament to the Haunt, my cousin found once he got there, he had to pay admission, and not go on his pass. At the end of The Beast, (And he only stayed three hours) he announced that he certainly got his money's worth.

He loved the guy on the huge stage at the park's entry. I forgot his official name, but my cousin had tears in his eyes from laughing so hard.

• Like 2

On the way out last night, around 10:15/10:30, KI police were responding to something just near the drop off area. On the road side there were 3 police cars, 2 life squads, and a fire truck. Looked like a van was catywombus near the sign. Hope no one got seriously injured and maybe we should say a prayer for them

• Like 1

The make up was better this year, very good. As testament to the Haunt, my cousin found once he got there, he had to pay admission, and not go on his pass. At the end of The Beast, (And he only stayed three hours) he announced that he certainly got his money's worth.

He loved the guy on the huge stage at the park's entry. I forgot his official name, but my cousin had tears in his eyes from laughing so hard.

The Undertaker is pretty funny at times! :)

That No Boo thing screams SCARE ME!!! Also what's the point of going to Haunt if you know you're going to get scared?! Seems like another way for KI to get our money

1. If the park markets this as a way to avoid getting scared, and people scare you... I am sure there will be a long line of very very angry people demanding to talk to managers. So Im going to guess that you will not be scared by an actor while wearing this.

2. people drag friends to come with them to these things even though they are not haunt type of people.

3. some people enjoy night riding their favorite coasters and rides. So maybe they ride while others go to haunts....

• Like 3

Some people actually enjoy getting night rides on roller coasters without being frightened between rides. There also are people that want to have fun with friends at Kings Island on the rides but don't get into Halloween stuff. This is targeted for these people, and it's been done at other parks before now. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a fantastic idea. With this, I might actually stand a chance of bringing friends who don't like Halloween stuff with me on a Friday or Saturday instead of being stuck with Sundays. I like the way Beast hauls at night more than not having to wait for a daytime ride on Sundays, and now I won't have to preface Friday/Saturday visits with "well, if you don't look scared, they probably won't come after you..."

What I don't understand (or, more accurately, what I don't agree with) is why they're charging for them. You can't tell me that the cost of a glow stick couldn't be covered in the profit from admission. People who are there to be scared aren't going to waste their time with playing with a glow stick, because it's going to ruin their time--it's not the sort of thing I would imagine people would abuse. Make them available at Guest Services, add a pop-up during online purchases that informs customers of them, leave the sign up inside the park, and have ticketing cashiers tell customers about them during purchases. If you can get people who wouldn't ordinarily come to the park during Halloween Haunt to come if they can avoid getting scared, they might spend money that would be otherwise spent at the movies, football games, the mall, etc. Those people could be deterred by an extra charge. But that's my two cents.

• Like 5

^ Guests who purchase these probably aren't the primary market for Halloween Haunt, but keeping them happy protects the business of the people they came with. (i.e. the "veto vote")

There is a cost associated with marketing & selling necklaces and with getting "monstors" to respond appropriately. It's a highly specialized service, so building it into everyone's admission doesn't necessarily make sense. Many guests will look at this as $5 very well spent.

If you want to avoid scares without paying the $5, perhaps you could find similar-looking glowsticks online and make your own necklace(s).

• Like 2

^ We're saying the same thing, to a degree. Yeah, the people who purchase these are going to want to avoid being scared. I'm saying that these things could convert some of the "I'm not going to Haunt because I only want to ride rides" people into "I'll go if they won't scare me" people. "I'll go if they won't scare me" people could spend money that they ordinarily wouldn't spend at KI at all. I'm just saying that people might be more inclined to do it if there wasn't a pricetag included with this "benefit."

Also, I'm not contesting the pricetag because I would use the service and just don't want to pay for it. I enjoy the haunts and the scares and would never purchase one for myself. I'm just saying that the pricetag could be off-putting. But that's my opinion.

You do make a good point about the cost associated with creating and marketing the glowsticks, though. I hadn't considered that.

• Like 2

The Undertaker is pretty funny at times! :)

He's fantastic! We were wondering how he can use that voice all night and not get hoarse. He's quite a show, anyone who just walks blithely by on their way to the rest of the park is missing out. To be singled out by him is hilarious, I hope everyone has the same sense of humor we had about it.

When some people get frightened, you get the initial "Oh!" of surprise, then they laugh, mostly at themselves- the fellows in the Slaughterhouse cottoned onto that pretty fast, and we had one of the most enjoyable times watching them rib my cousin.

(There were cameramen in the Slaughterhouse when we first went through, though we were literally the first ones, Stinky and me, and some poor guy I shoved in front of me to get the brunt. We just waited until the photographers got their shots, we suspected they were either news or PR . it didn't take away from the experience any.)

• Like 5

If you want to avoid scares without paying the $5, perhaps you could find similar-looking glowsticks online and make your own necklace(s).

A report on Facebook says that the actual NO BOO sticks blink. That could be difficult to replicate.

Plus while monstors may be required to honor the official necklaces, they are probably not required to do so for homemade ones. So it would be safer to spend the $5 if you're really concerned about that.

• Like 2

On Friday the Undertaker was talking to a group of girls. One said you are ugly and he jumped at her and said "I have on make up, what's your excuse!" Lol

That's awesome lol beats The Overlord any day!

• Like 2