Haunt 2014

ki95

There were some drama teachers there with students, for the "Scare School", which I thought was a great idea. The park evidently shows them the workings of a maze with the lights on, then they go through it with the lights out.

Me, I was sitting there thinking. "It's Friday night, about nine o'clock, how many teachers would be pleased to be sitting here in this park, responsible for how many kids?"

But they were truly enjoying it.

• Like 7

There were some drama teachers there with students, for the "Scare School", which I thought was a great idea. The park evidently shows them the workings of a maze with the lights on, then they go through it with the lights out.

Me, I was sitting there thinking. "It's Friday night, about nine o'clock, how many teachers would be pleased to be sitting here in this park, responsible for how many kids?"

But they were truly enjoying it.

I saw an email about that and it sounded like a great idea. For schools with drama programs or students in Ohio EdTA, this would be a great experience for them. It's a good idea for a supplement to their Education Days. I remember our advisor scheduling field trips to weekend shows and programs. Not sure how she managed to tolerate us crazy high school kids but we loved it.

• Like 4

Wish they had this when I was in HS :( Also, I find it weird that they're doing this during the evening than rather during the day when school's in session, oh well lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I suspect because there's stuff that has to be done, i.e., makeup, that's been shown as it's being done. The monsters probably don't get there until a designated time.

Besides, they show them the maze after lights off, which probably can only occur after the show starts.

• Like 3

I wonder how one would get a job in the designing of the haunts.....I have a Brazilian ideas...lol... (and that's a lot). It seems the haunts are decided waaaaaay in advance of seasonal hiring by "someone" and I've never seen an assortment of design jobs for the haunt online.

I wonder how one would get a job in the designing of the haunts.....I have a Brazilian ideas...lol... (and that's a lot). It seems the haunts are decided waaaaaay in advance of seasonal hiring by "someone" and I've never seen an assortment of design jobs for the haunt online.

I believe the entertainment dept. is the one who puts the event (as well as other events) together.

On Friday the Undertaker was talking to a group of girls. One said you are ugly and he jumped at her and said "I have on make up, what's your excuse!" Lol

That's awesome lol beats The Overlord any day!

The Undertaker is great and a friend of mine however, I don't think I'm that bad at what I do! :)
  • Like 3

There's an outside company the works out a lot of the logistics nationwide but the name escapes me.

If you remember, would you mind posting or IMing me....thanks....seriously thinking of getting a special effects/robotics/etc degree. somewhere. Could be a great side job.

There's an outside company the works out a lot of the logistics nationwide but the name escapes me.

If you remember, would you mind posting or IMing me....thanks....seriously thinking of getting a special effects/robotics/etc degree. somewhere. Could be a great side job.
I would like to know as well! I've always dreamed of working on an event such as Haunt! I asked the same question (who puts together Haunt?) to a KI rep. Who came to my school to promote hiring for the summer season & they told me the Entertainment Department made the event.

Guest dtk1376

It's hard to imagine just the Entertainment Department does all that stuff on their own, I'm sure the Entertainment Department is in charge of hiring the vendors they need to do certain aspects of the event. That is, unless the Entertainment Department is much bigger than I believed it to be.

No, you're not- We wondered the same thing every year at Haunt, "How do the hosts keep their voices after talking all night?"

The Undertaker is very good at what he does, and at least he's miked. This year, Sam has been wearing out my voice more than ever every weekend since he's doing more talking now that he's out in the open as soon as people enter the room. Sam did a fair share of talking in his spots in the old house, but this is going back to the level of talking as when I transformed into The Bouncer in Club Blood on Fridays & Saturdays in 2008. Sundays & Mondays my voice is really rough, Tuesdays are a little better and by Wednesday it's almost back to full strength. Then it's time to do it all over again. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

A couple of the other Slaughter House scaractors and I were discussing this on Saturday. We each have told ourselves at the beginning of each night that we were going to take it easy in order to save our voices... but then once we start we instinctively ignore that thought in order to go all out. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one doing this. It's just more fun to not hold back!

• Like 7

Oh yes, we know. :) Lots of water, and coating our throats with cough drops. It's advice that us old-timer scaractors pass on to the newbies every year. Without those, I wouldn't have a voice at all on Sundays. I learned my lesson my first year when I didn't have either one the first couple of weekends, then I started using them!

• Like 5

I think the company you are speaking of is Oak Island Productions. They aren't involved in Haunt at Kings Island, nor have been in a while....

Yeah, that was back in the Pirate Jack days (Fear Fest)

No, the first year, and Pirate Jack, were both from Sudden Impact! and Lynton Harris. The Oak Island guys were around during the Sleepy Hallow maze (in the tent where the old dolphin show was), and also the Haunt in the old mining company building, which I can't remember the name of.

• Like 2

No, you're not- We wondered the same thing every year at Haunt, "How do the hosts keep their voices after talking all night?"

The Undertaker is very good at what he does, and at least he's miked. This year, Sam has been wearing out my voice more than ever every weekend since he's doing more talking now that he's out in the open as soon as people enter the room. Sam did a fair share of talking in his spots in the old house, but this is going back to the level of talking as when I transformed into The Bouncer in Club Blood on Fridays & Saturdays in 2008. Sundays & Mondays my voice is really rough, Tuesdays are a little better and by Wednesday it's almost back to full strength. Then it's time to do it all over again. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

A couple of the other Slaughter House scaractors and I were discussing this on Saturday. We each have told ourselves at the beginning of each night that we were going to take it easy in order to save our voices... but then once we start we instinctively ignore that thought in order to go all out. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one doing this. It's just more fun to not hold back!

Oh I remember that conversation. Yes if you are not going balls to the wall you are not doing it right. I have not talked this much in a few years. This weekend was the first one that I did not really strain my voice to much. I have noticed it is the long breaks, having to go in and out of character that gets me the worst.

Oh yes, we know. :) Lots of water, and coating our throats with cough drops. It's advice that us old-timer scaractors pass on to the newbies every year. Without those, I wouldn't have a voice at all on Sundays. I learned my lesson my first year when I didn't have either one the first couple of weekends, then I started using them!

A couple tricks I have been using this year:

I bring a gallon water jug and a couple water bottles. You want them about room temp. Cold water can shock the vocal cords and strain them more.

I went to Dollar Tree and picked up a thing of honey. I take a shot every couple hours. Seems to help a lot better then cough drops.

That is just a couple things I do.

Would love to hear what others do because as mentioned earlier, going easy on your voice truly is not an option when you love what you do.

• Like 7

Here is what I tell my speech therapy clients when we are concerned about voice:

Avoid the loud scratchy coughs. These strain the voice more. Do smaller coughs to clear mucus from the throat.

Water, water, water. The more water you can get into your body (before the vocal stress) the better. This allows the voice organs to stay plump and useful.

Vocal rest. After using your voice in a very rough manner (see haunts) do not use it the next day. Whispers actually cause more damage. The whisper has the vocal folds taunt and cause them to hit more often.

If you are attempting to be loud, the go to manner would be to tighten the muscles around the neck and vocal folds (voice box) to create a louder sound. This actually will cause more damage.

The proper way would be to use diaphragmatic breathing exercises (breathing using the stomach muscles versus the chest) to increase sound levels. Your lungs are the power source.

Avoid the following: C affine, smoking, dust, inhaled irritants, whispering, and clearing the throat.

I am a licensed and accredited speech and language therapist. If you would like more information, please see ASHA.org to find a therapist in your area who could give you more specialized information....

• Like 9

tax_HN_7_lg.gif

Yes and no. So when you swallow the Epiglottis closes off sealing the air way (so we dont choke or drown every time we eat).

Honey, cough drops, lemon water, etc. These can all be used to help sooth a sore throat from talking to much. When we talk to much we dry out our entire pharynx (the blue, purple, and red areas on the above pictures) because we are pushing air up and out of our lungs. Think about turning a fan onto wet paint. It eventually dries, and could crack or peel. So by drinking we are soothing these structures.

So when we are drinking things they are not actually touching your vocal folds, but are actually soothing the walls up and around the voice box. Water works because it is absorbed into the body and makes all tissues (brain, throat, vocal folds, skin, muscles, heart, etc) more plump, malleable, and able to handle some stresses.

Lemon and other citrus can cause more irritation just because of the acid. Think if you have a small cut on your hand and peel an orange. It would hurt. But honestly, if you are drinking water w/ lemon, honey, oranges, etc its the water that helps. The rest is for flavor or the soothing properties on the walls of your throat.

The following IMAGES ARE Medical and MAY BE CONSIDERED GROSS. DO NOT LOOK IF YOU DONT WANT TO (I dont know how to hide using the spoiler key)

r7_openclose.jpg

This is the normal operation of our vocal folds/chords. They are closed (stopping air) and vibrate when we speak by pushing air through them.

The following image is of a damaged vocal fold, possibly from over use

Vocal-fold-hemorrhage.jpg

As compared to a healthy one

2011-09-16_vid7_rig_str-002304-stmid.jpg

and a dehydrated one

vocal+folds.jpg

• Like 6