Disney Monorail for sale!

http://blogs.orlandoweekly.com/bloggytown/theres-retired-monorail-car-sale-ebay/

The monorail car up for sale was in service at Disney World from 1971 until 1989, when the Mark VI series took over. At that time, most of the Mark IV cars were scrapped, save for two, who were affectionally named Coral and Lime.

Only 189K.... If I had a million dollars.... but in reality this would be cool.

• Like 2

I remember hearing about this being sold to a guy down South somewhere several years back. Hell I wouldn't mind having this if I had the extra money laying around.

That entire monorail system has always fascinated me. Never had the chance to ride in a Mark IV but have ridden in the Mark VI more times than I can count.

Just think, all monorails were upgraded from their 1989 drive system in the last 5 years and now use touchscreen controls. They can practically be controlled from the TTC.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind having the original bubble top Mark I or II monorails. They ran from 1959-1969 at Disneyland.

Then again if I had that Mark IV and kept it at my buddy's house, he'd want to slap a motor on it and take it back in the woods and have fun.

Gotta love growing up and staying true to your roots in the country!

• Like 2

I used to have a WDW/Disneyland picture book that showed the bubble top monorails. I thought they were REALLY cool. It also had Adventures Thru Inner Space and other awesome retired attractions.

Oh, the money I'd pay for admission to a Yesterland park, featuring the old monorails, ATIS, Horizons, Future World circa 1996 (things like I remember growing up but with World of Motion still open!), El Rio De Tiempo, Mr. Toad, Monster Sound Show, Take Flight!, Millennium Village, and maybe even the original Dinosaur Jubilee tent from AK (hey, some of us liked that!).

• Like 2

Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook have all passed... ;)Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook have all passed... ;)

Haha was actually watching the episode as I read that.

Would be awesome to have that. No idea where I'd out it but maybe it could be converted into an awesome limo.

WDW won't be getting the Mark VIIs currently in service out West. They were designed for their monorail track only (which is narrower). Disney is currently working with Bombadier on a Mark VIII design that will likely debut within the next few years. At some point within the next decade, I'd expect to see Monorail service expanded beyond its current limits. The upfront costs will be high, but being able to retire emissions-creating busses that criss-cross property will def be worth it. I'd also wish for the return of riding in the front car, but I doubt that will be reinstated on the current cars.

• Like 2

I have heard that the current Mark VII trains are still the old Mark V trains, just redone from their mid-1980s design. Same frame and all of that.

I've heard rumors for years that Disney was going to expand their monorail system in Florida. Apparently it was in their plans to have a line ready for MGM when it opened in 1989. From what I've heard it costs north of $1 million per mile to expand it. With the bus system that they have between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios I've heard it's highly unlikely they'll ever expand it. One can hope.

Well rising fuel costs could affect it more than anything.

Not even guessing how much it costs to run a bus for an hour versus a monorail. But as fuel costs rise, Im sure it will soon tip, if it hasnt already, in the monorails favor.

• Like 1

I have heard that the current Mark VII trains are still the old Mark V trains, just redone from their mid-1980s design. Same frame and all of that.

I've heard rumors for years that Disney was going to expand their monorail system in Florida. Apparently it was in their plans to have a line ready for MGM when it opened in 1989. From what I've heard it costs north of $1 million per mile to expand it. With the bus system that they have between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios I've heard it's highly unlikely they'll ever expand it. One can hope.

A million a mile is what I heard when I was on the CP back in he mid 90s. Costs have certainly risen. The good news is Disney wouldn't have to worry about acquiring rights of way or moving any utils as those were all installled way off the proposed path the monorail could take. As of now, you can no longer get a bus from a park to DTD. That will change, though, once Disney Springs is up and running. There is also talk to potentially put a light rail spur from the airport to either the TTC or DTD, but those are Blue Sky only at this point. Like jet fuel, diesel fuel for the busses is expensive, and I don't think Disney has plans to convert their busses to either e-85, clean diesel, electric or Natual gas.