Why Kings Island came to be

BoddaH1994

It's a well-known fact that talks of moving Coney Island Cincinnati originally sprung from the fact that Coney had been ravaged by floods throughout its history on the banks of the Ohio River. However, another factor the helped move the project forward so quickly was that Fess Parker, TV's "Daniel Boone" and "Davy Crockett" announced that he intended to build his own theme park near the intersection of I-71 and I-75 in Kentucky. The competition wouldn't have fared well for Coney Island.

Check out this article from the Nevada Daily Mail that talks about Parker's plan to build his own Frontier World in Coney Island's back yard.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1908&dat=19680920&id=GkUrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ctQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2328,1051949

• Like 8

^ That and 8 lbs of apples is $1. I can say with certainty that I've never bought 8 lbs. of apples. 10 cans of peas for $1? That would be one of Kroger's 10 for $10 deals nowadays.

That's the most detalied description I've read of that planned park. Just think... if that had actually happened, I may never have worked in an amusement/theme park (much less for 22 years) and I probably wouldn't have gone as often (since it's farther than KI is to my house). Right now in some alternate universe, there's someone posting on Frontier Worlds Central about a cornfield in Kings Mill, OH that was supposed to be a new park with a 1/3 scale replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.

• Like 8

Even more shocking than the price of bacon is that for about half of what it costs now for a pack of cigarettes in those days you could buy a whole carton.

Anyway I understand that the big shots at Coney played some not so nice hardball to stop Fess Parker's proposed project.

• Like 1