Nostalgia for KI of the past

Magenta Lizard

I've decided to get a season pass this summer, even though I've only been to the park a couple times in the past 15 years (to be fair, I was living across the country part of that time). I'm really excited about it, and I find it is making me nostalgic for some of the things I remember that I know aren't there any more. I used to go at least a couple times every summer growing up.

The thing I loved the most when I was spending my time in Hanna Barbara land back then was the giant house of cards. On the outside it looked like a stacked playing card house made from very large (six to ten feet maybe?) cards, and on the inside was a funhouse, with weird mirrors and such. I don't remember it too well, only that I loved running through it over and over.

Of course there was the Smurf ride, which I loved back then, but for some reason the thing I miss the most from it (possibly because they stuck around in the grassy areas of the kid's area even after the ride changed) was the pastel, friendly-faced, 4-6 foot tall giant snails.

Every so often I will remember a specific snippet from one of the stage shows they had back then. It was a song acting out aspects of a day at King's Island, and one of the characters repeated at different parts of the song in a strained voice "and I've gotta go to the BATHROOM!" I guess potty humor was the best humor to me at that time, so it has always stuck with me. I think that particular song was included in several years' shows for me to have remembered.

Something I still get cravings for every so often is deep fried cheese on a stick. It was much like a corn dog, only with a cheddar-ish cheese food replacing the hot dog. I could never actually finish one by myself back then.

So what are some of the subtle (or not so subtle) things you miss from KI?

• Like 2

I loved that House of Cards along with the Shaggy's Silly Stix area...although I can't imagine I would make much use of it nowadays. I just liked that little corner of the park. I also miss the heavily themed railroad portions and the vine laden tunnel. The Rivertown portion of the park back in the 80's seemed to me to be similar to Cedar Point's Frontier Trail with its trees and shade and general pioneer town feel. I also really miss the waterfall as I loved strolling through that rocky area.

• Like 2

I just thought of a couple more things, although they might still have one of them.

Does anyone remember the table-service sit-down restaurant they used to have above the entrance gates? It seemed so fancy (tablecloths, waiters, air conditioning, crystal chandeliers) that I always felt likely to be turned away in our shorts and sneakers, but they seemed to be happy to have anyone there. I think they got very little business, because the entrance was a unmarked or very obscurely marked door next to the inside of the gates, and you had to go upstairs to the restaurant itself. The prices weren't particularly high, especially for in-park food, and seemed even lower when you took into account you were being served and the air-conditioning. One whole side of the dining room was windows overlooking international street. I always felt so special eating there, with the combination of the posh surroundings, the view, and the feeling of exclusivity (just knowing it was there and open to park visiors was hardly common knowledge).

Another thing I loved was smashed penny souvenirs. I just happened to find a couple today in an old purse, alongside skee-ball tickets and prize tokens from 20 years ago. The smashed pennies I just found are in recognition of Phantom Theater (something else I really miss, even though it wasn't there until I was a little older). I went a couple years ago and didn't see any penny smashers, does anyone know if there are still any around KI?

• Like 2

What I miss the most is a simulated driving ride. Sunshine Turnpike or Antique Cars. When we went to Cedar Point last year my kids loved them more than the coasters. They rode them 5-6 times in a row. As a kid I remember it was cool how I could pretend drive in a car. Wish my kids could have that at KI once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

• Like 2

I'll have to take some pennies when I go, then. Last time I took a bunch of brand new pennies but couldn't find any smashers.

That reminds me of another memory. The year my sister got her driver's license, I was 13, and my parents got us both season passes so we could go more or less whenever we wanted that year. We were both always big on playing the games (she was pretty darn good at bowler roller, I loved the crane game). One time, in the late afternoon, we had both gone through all our cash playing games, but really wanted a drink. In the past, we had discovered you should check the back of the seats as you get on coasters, especially The Racers, because people often lose their change into the seats. So that day, because the lines were short and we loved it anyway, we kept riding The Racer (backwards, of course!!) over and over until we'd finally collected enough spare change to get a drink refill. Oddly enough, I think it was $1 to refill a souvenier cup back then too, although I think the initial cost was less (and I think it was a smaller cup).

• Like 1

Magenta, one of the 4 ft tall smiling snails is in the parking lot at Jungle Jim's right near where the monorail station is. The monorail is of course from KI as well. Oh, and Jungle Jim's also has the elephant that used to sit in Hanna-Barbara Land and shoot water out its nose.

Check out JJ if you haven't been. There are two locations. The one mentioned above is on Dixie Highway. The other one is newer, but has one of the spinning witch cauldron's I used to ride as a kid.

• Like 2

Wow, that's so cool! I've been to a JJ, but I don't remember which one. I will have to try to get there to check out "my" snail... See if they'll sell it :)

I went to KI for the first time this summer today and I did see a penny smasher near the front gate when I was leaving. I, of course, had forgotten pennies. But, I plan to be back many many times this summer, surely I'll eventually remember.

I wore my Fascination (when the bell rings, roll 'em) t-shirt to the park today. Granted the image on it is based on the Cedar Point game building, but I thought there had been one at KI at some point as well. I miss that game. If anyone recognized my shirt, they didn't mention it. If I go again this week, I'm wearing my Outer Limits Flight of Fear tank. People are more likely to get that one. I really wanted to ride FoF today but it was down :(

• Like 1

While I've never been to Kings Dominion, I found myself very jealous of their list of refurbishments they released slowly over the winter all directed towards bringing back prior aspects of the park (talking/singing mushrooms were one of the things, amongst other things, mostly, if not entirely they were relatively small features, especially compared to the cost occured repainting/rethemeing The Bat, let along Banshee). Anyhoo, since I recon Ki won't see any major installations this summer (not that I would complain if one came their way) I'm hoping for an offseason with several similar announcements at KI. Bringing back the vine(?) tunnel that slowly grew over at the start of the season, the talking tree, Flying Eagles (seemingly on everyone's list amongst our members here), etc....

• Like 8

The more stuff from our childhood, the better. Or at least a museum like Cedar Point has where remnants of attractions are shown. One of my favorites as a kid was The Flying Dutchmen (or The Wooden Shoes as I used to call them). It's now at Kentucky Kingdom. I believe the Flying Eagles are at Carowinds.

Whenever I hear "water ride" I get worried after the Shoot The Rapids debacle. When it could get through a ride cycle, it was a pretty awesome ride! One of the best I've ridden actually. Haven't been up to CP this year yet. But I assume it's still SBNO

• Like 2

Since you brought this up but nobody mentioned it, the International Restaurant actually closed a couple decades ago. A search here should turn up more details surrounding that. The restaurant area is still there but is only used for private events now. It does still have the cool 1970s-era furniture though.

• Like 1

Since you brought this up but nobody mentioned it, the International Restaurant actually closed a couple decades ago.

Stop making me feel old! Ok, so this year is my 20th high school reunion, so what!

I noticed today the mysterious door and stairs were still there (there's some advertising for the new circus show on the entrance side of the stairs if anyone wants to check it out) and that I could see something at least was up behind the windows. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

I wonder if they'd rent it out for a wedding reception or even wedding itself. That would be cool.

• Like 1

I was thinking more of a new version of Kenton Cove.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/WaterRides/Flume+Ride/tabid/139/ProductNumber/Flume+Ride/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

or something like this utilizing the big brown box in Rivertown as a queue line/station.

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/water-rides/water-coaster/wr-wc-video/index.html

Given the maintenance issues ultimately leading to the removal of Holiday World's Intamin water ride after only 5 years, I sincerely doubt many parks will be interested in a water ride from that company anytime soon, regardless of what type of water ride it is. I also don't see why the park would put another water ride in the main park at this point - the three they have now are popular enough.