Personal Space in Line

markr

Next to line jumping, the most irritating act is not respecting your personal space in line. For example there was a couple behind me in the Banshee line today who could not keep their hands off each other and the girl kept backing into me as she was smooching with her sweetie.-even though it was not a bump but a touch I certainly do not like to be touched by strangers. Also, for me, proper line etiquette also includes keeping a reasonable distance from the group or person in front of you so as not to invade their space.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this issue.

• Like 8

The topic line made me laugh. I'd just recently had to deal with two young guardrail gymnasts that did every thing in line but stand still. I understand that for a parent, it's a tiring day, but can they at least look at their kids once every fifteen minutes?

• Like 6

On my last visit, I had unruly teens behind me in line who thought it would be funny to smack me in the back of the head and make fun of me. Yes kids making fun of an adult, needless to say Security was called and took care of the problem.

• Like 9

I've experienced this a few times. My boyfriend and I usually just try to ignore the offender, or scoot away some more so bumping doesn't happen again. I can think of one time, waiting in line for The Racer, a man and his little daughter I assume were standing behind us in line, she was so hyperactive, it was as if she was vibrating. :P constantly knocking herself into us.

On April 26th I visited with my friend who does not hesitate to make her voice heard if something is upsetting her. A group in front of us in the Banshee line was horsing around and I think a guy may have bumped her hard or stepped on her foot, and made no effort to apologize or even look back. She spoke up right then and said she needs her personal space and he was invading it. The girlfriend got mad at her for speaking up, saying something like "forget about it" "leave him alone". :/ well, they continued to be rowdy through the rest of the line, but at least they weren't bumping into us.

• Like 1

On my last visit, I had unruly teens behind me in line who thought it would be funny to smack me in the back of the head and make fun of me. Yes kids making fun of an adult, needless to say Security was called and took care of the problem.

Anyone touches me or my family like that and I'm swinging.

• Like 8

When I visited about a week ago, there were two guys infront of us in line vaping marijuana. First of all, they were smoking in a non-smoking area, second of all, it's illegal! This really made me mad.

I also can't stand personal space being violated. I can't find a happy medium though, either people in front of you don't move when it's time to so you have to get closer to them to show hey, the line is moving or you have people right up on you.

As long as no one touches me I'm fine. Another irritation is when people have their hands on the hand rails and as they walk by you in the next row (you're stationary) they put their hand on yours as they are walking.

Never had a problem with personal space being violated. I do however can't stand being in line with people who stink. Seriously, there was a woman in line for The Beast last season we had to smell for over an hour, it was disgusting. It was not from just being at the park, it was bad from not bathing ever, perfume never, and having never purchased a stick or in her case a log of deodorant in her entire life. It was so bad everyone behind knew why we kept a clear distance from her, how her friends could stand it I haven't a clue, I would have puked riding in a car with her. SO PLEASE, for the love of humanity, don't be that person who smells! :D

• Like 11

The topic line made me laugh. I'd just recently had to deal with two young guardrail gymnasts that did every thing in line but stand still. I understand that for a parent, it's a tiring day, but can they at least look at their kids once every fifteen minutes?

I was in Firehawk's line on 5/9 and saw several teens climbing on the queue rails. One of the ride operators got on the microphone and told those sitting on the rails to get off. They ignored the ride op even though the ride op make it very clear as to who she was addressing...

• Like 1

Yeah Im not sure what I would have done, but you handled it better than I would have. How did you get a hold of security? I always wondered what the protocol for this sort of thing was...

I also can't stand personal space being violated. I can't find a happy medium though, either people in front of you don't move when it's time to so you have to get closer to them to show hey, the line is moving or you have people right up on you.

As long as no one touches me I'm fine. Another irritation is when people have their hands on the hand rails and as they walk by you in the next row (you're stationary) they put their hand on yours as they are walking.

Yea Im a hand rail grabber. I dont mean to touch other peoples hands but usually it happens. Apologies!

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of strangers touching me, even by accident. If it is a child, I am more willing to cut some slack, because they often just aren't aware of the concept of personal space yet (although I am not above shooting looks at the parents of children who repeatedly run into me).

I'm always a little in awe of the adults or teens who repeatedly bump me during a wait in line. Do they not realize they're doing it? How does it not bother them that they're touching someone they don't know? Often, it is hot and I'm sweaty, and the last thing in the world I want is anyone standing so close to me they might bump me, whether I know them or not. Not because I'm smelly, but because it makes things even warmer.

I agree that smelly people can be a big problem too. Not just the unwashed, but those who think perfume is a substitute for cleanliness. Many strong perfumes are a migraine trigger for me, along with being overly warm, so most days in the park I end up with a headache. I'm just grateful that they no longer allow smoking in the queues (and hope there is decent enforcement this year). It's a worse migraine trigger for me, so it was always bad when there was a chain smoker in the next row of the cow corrals, and I knew I was going to keep ending up close to them as the line moved along.

• Like 1

Yea Im a hand rail grabber. I dont mean to touch other peoples hands but usually it happens. Apologies!

*Raises Hand*

I too have committed this heinous act.

*Lowers hand back down on someone else's*

Darn! Sorry!!!

• Like 7

what would had happened if you done that to a minor? Even though they hit you first? Because I have the same feelings as you.

To me, personal space is Myspace, pun intended. Don't touch me, because I don't want to touch you. I usually try to keep a distance of a cubit (elbow to middle finger tip ) between me and the other park guest.

what would had happened if you done that to a minor? Even though they hit you first? Because I have the same feelings as you.

People have become too sensitive and too afraid to tell someone they are wrong and teens especially think they can get away with anything. If they are doing something wrong we should be allowed to smack them upside the head and tell them, look this isn't cool. And bring back a little of of "hey, maybe I shouldn't do that"

• Like 2

^No, I don't think people have become too sensitive, just cautious. As we discussed on previous threads confrontation is risky, possibly downright dangerous-for example what if the other person has a weapon? The best approach is always to let the police or security handle such situations.

• Like 3

I wear a tie-die shirt with spikes on the back to prevent this. (Tie-die shirt to hide the self created tie-die metal spikes I constructed).

Only because I am an enthusiast...and because I care.

The last boyfriend bear hugging his acne faced girlfriend from behind...that was behind me last year creeping onto my hidden ambush...does'nt have a girlfriend today.

Not tie-dye...get it? TIE-DIE!

Edit: I don't know the proper way to spell tye-dye or tie-dye.

Most rude people are just hoping for the chance someone they mess with will give them a confrontation. The desire for attention is their main driving force toward harassing others, and nothing gives them attention from everyone around them more than a big scene.

I really think it is best to let the people who can actually remove them from the line and/or park deal with the situation than be dragged down to their level, personally. If you think someone is unaware they are bothering you, by all means tell them, but if it is clear they're doing it on purpose you are just playing into their game to directly confront them.

• Like 1

Smoking in line is what bothers me. I am use to it because I have been around it most of my life even though I don't smoke. But you have signs that say No Smoking in line everywhere, and you have other guests that it could bother. Oh, and those darn basketballs. Lol.

• Like 1

^^I agree

I've seen a group complain about another group being rude, line jumping and what not, so they got security, once security arrived the "offending party" started talking even more smack making the "complaint party" more upset to the point of almost throwing fists, both parties were kicked out of line.

It's best to ignore if possible...if needed get park personnel involved.

• Like 1

People have become too sensitive and too afraid to tell someone they are wrong and teens especially think they can get away with anything. If they are doing something wrong we should be allowed to smack them upside the head and tell them, look this isn't cool. And bring back a little of of "hey, maybe I shouldn't do that"

Telling someone they are wrong, and laying out a teenager are too, I hope, very different things.

^No, I don't think people have become too sensitive, just cautious. As we discussed on previous threads confrontation is risky, possibly downright dangerous-for example what if the other person has a weapon? The best approach is always to let the police or security handle such situations.

Fair point. You need to know when is the right time and wrong time to take matters into your own hands...

Many of the things mentioned on here (basketballs, inadvertent touching, smellyness, hand rail gymnasts, etc) I just assumed were by products of bad parenting.

Im a big enough guy that when stupid things like one of the above happen (for example pushing on the hand rail swinging it into me) I just move to the raid and lean on it. Usually coughing or such which causes the offending party to move. If that doesnt work I either talk to them in ASL or German. Usually then, they get confused and move on. Some times a "What would your mother think?" or "I bet your momma is proud of you" throws them off as well.....

• Like 1