Personal Space in Line

markr

I bump into people a lot. I can't stand still and tend to sway. But, one probably won't get bumped unless standing too close.

I haven't run into too many line etiquette issues.

On-ride etiquette is another thing. Spitting on a ride, using a phone on a ride, and treating Zephyr swings like playground swings is not cool.

• Like 1

There was one time that my brother and I were in line for Flight of Fear, he had his hand on the rail, and someone on the other side of the rail sat on his hand and didn't realize it. My brother, being the awkward guy he is, just left it there for probably 2 minutes before the line moved again, and then yanked it out from under the guys butt. Hilarious!

Anyway, I don't like being touched by random people, who seem to usually need to bathe more often. It never ceases to amaze me how barriers seem to disappear when in line. I couldn't imagine being in a foreign country where personal bubbles seem to often be much smaller!

• Like 1

I watched my niece like a hawk. If she did something, for example trying to climb on the rails, I would stop her and explain why she couldn't do it and that she could get in a lot of trouble.

AAnother comment on the walking away to get security, you don't always get that option. I'm not going to go into a bunch of detail but I was once put into a situation where after trying to walk away three times I was put on the ground by two guys with them kicking me in the head. I somehow managed to get up and I ended it. I still feel bad about it because I could have killed someone but I was left with no other choice. This was at a concert venue by the time security got there it was over and everyone told them what happened so I didnt get into any trouble.

• Like 2

That reminds me APE, as I'm sure you know, some people don't understand mosh pit etiquette either. But 100% of the time in my experience the person with the poor mosh pit etiquette has been handled by security and/or others in a manner that did not work out so well for the culprit. I wish poor behavior in lines at amusement parks could be treated with the same success rate.

• Like 4

I've enlisted the "accidental" toe crunch maneuver from time to time. If they keep bumping me or backing up against me, I simply take a casual, yet hard step backward and let nature... and my 210lb weight on their toes... do the rest. Then I apologize profusely for it explaining I didn't know they were so close to me. They usually keep their distance after that.

Fart spray can aid in clearing your personal space as well. Kidding...

• Like 8

All I will want is when someone bumps into me to say something along the lines of "excuse me" or "my bad" maybe even "sorry". Is that too much to ask. I had a girl walk right into the back of me in line for Banshee. Her boyfriend even called her out on it, yet did she offer any acknowledgment of doing it other than to look at me like it was my fault she ran into me.

• Like 5

All I will want is when someone bumps into me to say something along the lines of "excuse me" or "my bad" maybe even "sorry". Is that too much to ask. I had a girl walk right into the back of me in line for Banshee. Her boyfriend even called her out on it, yet did she offer any acknowledgment of doing it other than to look at me like it was my fault she ran into me.

Agreed. If I accidentally bump someone, I always, always say "sorry". Why is it so hard for others to be polite and do the same?

• Like 2

Never had a problem with personal space being violated. I do however can't stand being in line with people who stink. Seriously, there was a woman in line for The Beast last season we had to smell for over an hour, it was disgusting. It was not from just being at the park, it was bad from not bathing ever, perfume never, and having never purchased a stick or in her case a log of deodorant in her entire life. It was so bad everyone behind knew why we kept a clear distance from her, how her friends could stand it I haven't a clue, I would have puked riding in a car with her. SO PLEASE, for the love of humanity, don't be that person who smells! :D

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!

While I've never been accused of invading someone's person space in line, there is one thing that I have been trying to stop doing. Without thinking or looking I will grab the Speed-Rail. Most of the time its fine, nothing happens. Occasionally though there is that awkward moment when I touch the hand of someone who is also grabbing the rail. Then we make eye contact and in that split second we are both thinking the same thing, "Was that an accident that I should ignore or do I need to run screaming to a security guard?" The latter has yet to happen. After I determine it was just an accident, I will then try to gauge the personal hygiene of the person whom I just attempted to hold hands with. "Can I wait until after the ride to use the restroom and wash my hands or do I need to run screaming to the nearest Purell dispenser?" (In my mind the option of running and screaming is always there somewhere.)

A worse situation is when I have my hand on the Speed-Rail and someone on the other side backs into it. Even though we both know it was an accident, there is never a time when touching a strangers butt isn't awkward.

• Like 2

After I determine it was just an accident, I will then try to gauge the personal hygiene of the person whom I just attempted to hold hands with. "Can I wait until after the ride to use the restroom and wash my hands or do I need to run screaming to the nearest Purell dispenser?"

After the ride would be the best time to wash your hands or grab the Purell, anyway. Many people touch the ride restraints, some decide to spit, and a few lose their lunch.

Those with personal space issues must have been very uncomfortable outside the front gate on Opening Day, just after they started letting people in.

• Like 2

Again, heaven help some of these if they ever move to the Northeast. Good old Metro, with carpet cleaned at least yearly, seats used by hobos as toilets, hand holds held by God knows how many whos who have been doing God knows what...then there's the interesting...uh...odors of DC, from poop to urine to "protein spills" to dog excretions mixed with fresh baked goods, Chinese food, Sno-Cones and cotton candy...and one day a few weeks ago, a herd of elephants.

DC is not for the persnickety or finicky.

• Like 1

On our last visit, we had some interesting things happen while we were there.

First, a young man with a mental handicap decided that he really liked my 16 year old daughter. He was completely focused on her. After a couple of minutes, he started to pat her on the back and touch her arm. She was trying very hard to be nice because of his handicap, but she was getting uncomfortable. Since the line was short, she let me know that we could "wait it out." When he got to the front of the line and entered the seat-specific lane, he got right behind us. All of a sudden, he says, "I love you so much, and you are my forever girlfriend." Then he grabbed her and gave her a big hug that lasted about 10 full seconds. She politely disengaged herself and said with a sweet smile, "I can't be your girlfriend. I won't even see you after this ride." As our train pulled out of the station, he yelled, "I love you!" When we got off, we booked it out of there.

Later, while in line for Flight of Fear, this group of teens kept bumping into my back. As this was a long line, it happened several times before I finally started to push back. For a few minutes, it would stop. Then, there we would go again. I was so happy to finally get into the car.

• Like 1

If someone touches me line, we're gonna have problems. I need my space.

That's all I have to say.

Banshee, speaking few words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need your space, why are you going to a park that can draw around over 18,000 visitors in a day?

You're going to get touched at least once and choose wisely who you're going to have problems with. I've seen brawls break out over a giggle.

• Like 2