Canada's Wonderland

I've had suspicions for a while that my wife was planning a surprise trip to Canada's Wonderland this fall while we are across the border at Niagara Falls. This week my suspicions were confirmed when she let it slip. I'm super excited but no one I've talked to has been. I assume the travel distance and a required passport limits a lot of people.

So I come before you, the community of KIC, to ask for tips about the park. We're planning to use Fast Lane while on this trip so I'm not as concerned about crowd patterns. If you have any advice about the park or just want to talk about it I'm all ears (or eyes I guess because I'll be reading).

• Like 3

It's been about 6 years since I visited, so not sure what help I can give.

Think of CW as KI, do what you know will have shorter lines in the morning and go back to the ones people flock to in the morning. Fast Lane wasn't a thing when I was there. I didn't eat at the park, but a small snack.

I think CW has a great collection of coasters even though some suck (because of pain) but do them all if you can.

We're planning to use Fast Lane while on this trip so I'm not as concerned about crowd patterns. If you have any advice about the park or just want to talk about it I'm all ears (or eyes I guess because I'll be reading).

There are some rides at Wonderland that are not on Fast Lane (or Fast Lane Plus). They are mostly low capacity coasters so if you want to ride them I'd do so right at opening and in this order:

The Fly

The Bat

Thunder Run

Ghoster Coaster (the wooden coaster back in the kids area)

Sledge Hammer (if it's running)

As mentioned by CedarPointer you'll want to check out the flats. I'd also recommend that you walk through the kids area, as I personally think it's better than the one at Kings Island. I would also recommend a stop at any of the Hot Potato stands in the park and grab some poutine (french fries topped with gravy and cheese curds). It's the best non-sweet food item I've had at any park anywhere.

• Like 1

This topic will be helpful to me too since the Gator family and Hydra will be trekking up there this summer. I've been twice, but the last time was in 1997 so I don't think I can offer too much advice. I plan on riding everything that I can (yes, even Time Warp... sorry Hydra!). Hopefully we won't need Fast Lane. I think it might be an ordeal to talk Mrs. Gator into springing for that.

Thanks for posting that about the insurance card, Bennett, I never knew that.

Anyone have any advice on a relatively inexpensive motel up there? I'm doing my research but any help would be appreciated too.

• Like 1

If you don't have that card, and get in an accident, both you and your car can be detained in Canada for quite some time.

In Mexico, Mexican insurance must normally be purchased. For many other reasons that I won't be posting here, driving in Mexico presents risks that I, for one, cannot and will not accept.

We're planning to use Fast Lane while on this trip so I'm not as concerned about crowd patterns. If you have any advice about the park or just want to talk about it I'm all ears (or eyes I guess because I'll be reading).

There are some rides at Wonderland that are not on Fast Lane (or Fast Lane Plus). They are mostly low capacity coasters so if you want to ride them I'd do so right at opening and in this order:

The Fly

The Bat

Thunder Run

Ghoster Coaster (the wooden coaster back in the kids area)

Sledge Hammer (if it's running)

As mentioned by CedarPointer you'll want to check out the flats. I'd also recommend that you walk through the kids area, as I personally think it's better than the one at Kings Island. I would also recommend a stop at any of the Hot Potato stands in the park and grab some poutine (french fries topped with gravy and cheese curds). It's the best non-sweet food item I've had at any park anywhere.

Don't forget Guardian. It only has Fast Lane before the park opens for the day (pretty much ERT). It's capacity is only about 600-700pph so it good but not the best.

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound really stereotypical Canadian, but Tim Hortons just opened up shop in the park, so I'd recommend stopping there for lunch (provided the line is not too long) since they possibly provide the best value for your money in the park.

Pictures of the menu were posted here: http://www.cwmania.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2758&start=15

• Like 3

^ Wow. That looks like almost a full menu, and taking the exchange rate between USD and CAD into account, those prices are barely higher than the prices at the Tim Hortons here in Xenia that I go to regularly. Color me surprised. :)

• Like 5

^ Wow. That looks like almost a full menu, and taking the exchange rate between USD and CAD into account, those prices are barely higher than the prices at the Tim Hortons here in Xenia that I go to regularly. Color me surprised. :)

Some items are only a few cents more expensive but most of the stuff is the same price as outside of the park.

Also, a new video showing of testing has been posted on YouTube:

• Like 1

I was also talking to Matcom (the company who was responsible for installing the track) and they told me a few interesting details (as well as depressing).

DISCLAIMER: All info below is coming from Matcom

Firs the bad news: The media has been reporting that the ride will be 1092 feet, however, according to Matcom, WMG is only 921 feet long (considering how slow this ride will be going during the interactive parts, 100 feet is a lot)

Also, according to Matcom, the lift hill is 65 feet high.......when the ride was first announced, Wonderland said 60 feet, then they updated that last week to 79 feet, and now we're down to 65 feet. I don't get it.... :wacko:

And now for the most interesting fact:

There is a 30 foot drop. On CW Mania, we've been considering a drop track is possible but there is no way to confirm that.

-----

Also, if any of you are interested, Matcom has posted quite a few interesting construction photos throughout the winter.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.664715376908234.1073741830.181915788521531&type=3

Edited by Dom497
  • Like 1

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

10342910_10152194199838924_1819726517000

WMG will be opening TOMORROW! The first ride took place yesterday or this morning based off the picture above. The station also looks very cool!

The park has also posted a video of all the characters that are part of the ride. The animations look to be very high quality! Can't wait!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152195414233924

• Like 4

https://www.facebook.com/CWfansite/photos_stream

Lots of pictures posted today of WMG's opening.

It turns out that the finale is:

A drop-track. While battling the dragon at the end of the ride, you escape by the drop track.

Some other info:

- Queue is very very short...apparently only able to hold a 30-45 minute line.

- The ride overall is apparently "short"

- The track outside the mountain is apparently a bit rough.

- Defiantly is not "better than Dinsey" (quoting what TrioTech said in August)

I didn't get a pass this year so this info is coming from members on CW Mania.

• Like 2

Isn't this concidered a coaster? And if so, it kinda throws out the whole "this park gets a huge update this year, next year will be a different park, etc" in the whole rumor thread then doesnt it? Never know, KI could get a new coaster year, we just have to wait and see.

Personally, I'm not a fan (nor am I very good) at the "shoot at stuff" dark rides. (The only one where I actually felt like I understood the cause & effect relationships was Toy Story Mania at DCA...otherwise to me it just always feels like I'm randomly pressing a button and sometimes things happen & sometimes they don't...)

However, I think the real value of this attraction is the ability to fairly easily swap out the software (either for special events like Halloween, or permanently). Similar to the value of the FX theaters that were introduced into all of the Paramount Parks back in the mid-90s. For that reason, I imagine we'll see a version of the "Guardian" (probably minus the "mountain" reference) show up at a good number of CF parks over the next few years. While waiting in line for The Beast over the weekend, I was wondering if the old "Tomb Raider" show building might be a good location for this ride in the not too distant future...

• 2 weeks later...
It was bound to happen eventually and a full POV of WMG has been posted on Youtube...and I won't link it. (SPOILER ALERT IN THE VIDEO BUT NOT THE REST OF THIS POST) ;)

To be honest, I had no idea what on earth was going on....there's no story line! Your underwater one second and you above the next. Then all of the sudden your in the dragon liar....Yes, I've never been on the ride but now watching a POV, I am kinda disappointed....

I was thinking of maybe going for a day at the park (I didn't get a pass) but this video changed my mind.

Also, the train entrance into the mountain looks very very unfinished....

-----

It's also been confirmed that the projectors only use 720p