Your First Upside Down Coaster?

Must have been Corkscrew at Cedar Point the summer of 1989, when I turned 13. I don't think there were any other coasters with inversions there yet. The only coaster I ever rode prior to that year was The Beastie and I was terrified (hence why I hadn't ridden any others).

That summer, I went with a group of girls who loved coasters, and I rode every one they had at the park at that time. And thus an obsession was born!

• Like 3

Im not sure what its called. Its a little coaster at Six Flags Great America. I rode it before we moved from Chicago so I would have been 7 or younger. This was almost twenty years ago.

A kiddie coaster with inversions?

It wasn't a kiddie coaster I was able to ride Vortex around the same time.

Im not sure what its called. Its a little coaster at Six Flags Great America. I rode it before we moved from Chicago so I would have been 7 or younger. This was almost twenty years ago.

Just did some research......would that be Demon? Minimum Height is 42".
That sounds about right.
  • Like 1

Probably Son of Beast in 2004. I don't know of any other inverting coasters that have/had a 48-inch height requirement.

GatorGirl's first inverting coaster was Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood, which has a 48" height requirement.

We were there with a large group of friends, she had just reached 48" that year and the only other 48"ers she had ridden at that point were Racer, Flight Deck, Adventure Express & Backlot. We all went to ride it, but she said she didn't want to, so she didn't. After we got off, she heard everyone talking about how much fun that coaster is. When we returned to that section of the park later that day for another ride, she said she was ready. I asked her if she was sure, she said that she was, she got on and loved it. I was hoping she would because her first looper was probably going to be Vortex otherwise, and out of the two Tennessee Tornado is much smoother.

• Like 8

Wabash Cannonball, Opryland USA. I have a picture of me coming down the first drop that my parents took, but have yet to figure out how to upload.

I would love to see that picture. Being so long ago I have very few memories of my trip to Opryland.

Scan it and upload it to photobucket or some other host.

• Like 2

I believe I am the first to say Firehawk. Yes, that's right. Having never been upside down before, I waited one hour for Firehawk in June 2010 completely by myself. I passed the time in line by playing Sudoku on my phone. I wasn't scared, though I might have been a little apprehensive. When I got off, I was like "...really? That's it?" I haven't waited more than 20 minutes for Firehawk since.

I did ride Vortex later that night right before closing, and actually took two laps on it. I enjoyed Vortex more than Firehawk that day; today I prefer Firehawk out of those two, but I'm not a big fan of either.

• Like 2

Probably Son of Beast in 2004. I don't know of any other inverting coasters that have/had a 48-inch height requirement.

Prior to this, the only other amusement center I had been to was WDW.

Vortex has only a 48" requirement.

Thanks, but I'm positive I rode Son of Beast before Vortex. My parents haven't liked Vortex for quite a few years.

Remind me to force them into 5-1 next time.

• Like 2

Wabash Cannonball, Opryland USA. I have a picture of me coming down the first drop that my parents took, but have yet to figure out how to upload.

I would love to see that picture. Being so long ago I have very few memories of my trip to Opryland.

Scan it and upload it to photobucket or some other host.

I think I figured it out. This was probably around 1985-86. I'm the short little guy in the front.

wabash.jpg

• Like 12

The first Coaster I ever rode was also my first "upside down" Coaster. The Wabash Cannonball at the late, great, Opryland.

Me, too. (Not my first ever coaster, though. That would be The New Sensation at Camden Park, before I was born).

Sigh.

My dad made me ride the Wabash Cannonball with my mentally challenged Aunt. He proceeded not to. She was not amused.

Odd. I always imagined your first inverted coaster experience would have been at Flip Flap Railway's media day. :)

Flipflaprailway.jpg

Oh, and mine was King Cobra.

• Like 11

^

I am shocked as well the number of us that experienced the Wabash Cannonball as our first inversion. What a great ride and awesome park. Still wish someone would open a Chaos clone. The wait always made me nervous with all the ticking clocks and such.

• Like 5

Really, though, inversions aren't bad at all. I don't see why I, and a lot of people, were/are so scared of them.

For me I don't think I was ever actually afraid of the inversions themselves, just didn't have anyone that would go on Corkscrew with me at the time since my cousin hated it, lol. My first time on Corkscrew was also the first time I ridden a coaster with my dad, after that he got his first ride ever on Magnum. (I already ridden Magnum numerous times beforehand but he always been afraid of heights prior)

• Like 3

^

I am shocked as well the number of us that experienced the Wabash Cannonball as our first inversion. What a great ride and awesome park. Still wish someone would open a Chaos clone. The wait always made me nervous with all the ticking clocks and such.

For me Opryland was my first everything as far as Theme Parks go. We must have rode Grizzly River a half dozen times.

I have more memories of my trip to Opryland than I do of my first KI visit a year or two later.

• Like 3