Thunderbird has launched!

Even though Holiday Worlds 2014 season is only a few weeks underway, the park today begins its countdown to 2015.

As we continue to expand our Thanksgiving section, we look for ways to tie into that theme, says Matt Eckert, president of Holiday World & Splashin Safari. Knowing the Mayflower was at sea for 66 days gave us the idea to count down the days until we announce our expansion for 2015.

The 66-day countdown will take place on a microsite called 66DaysAtSea.com, which is part of Holiday Worlds website. Each day, a new journal entry will appear, as a mother on board the Mayflower tells of her familys voyage to the New World in the year 1620.

The journal will culminate with the parks announcement, on the 67th day, which will take place on July 24.

Were mixing our parks themes for this announcement, says Eckert, as it will fall on Christmas Eve in July. Our announcement will coincide with the start of a construction phase that would undoubtedly give away any part of the secret that still existed.

Speculation has already begun among roller coaster enthusiasts on forums such as CoasterBuzz.com and ThemeParkReview.com, with speculative tweets over the weekend from @Screamscape and @ThemePark Insider.

I cannot confirm nor deny that this project includes a roller coaster, says Eckert. But I can confirm that this is by far the largest expansion project in our seven-decade history.

The 66DaysAtSea.com microsite was created by the Louisville web design company DBS Interactive. Work on a second microsite is underway; it will appear following the July 24 announcement.

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are now open daily. New this year is the Mayflower swinging ship ride plus Friday Night Fireworks, which will begin June 13. For more information, visit HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55643&start=4410

• Like 2

"By far the largest expansion project in our seven-decade history."

This has the potential to completely blow away Voyage. And while I don't expect this, I would not be surprised to see the new project rival Banshee.

I will check back on this daily.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that Holiday World prides itself on being a family park. None of their height requirements are over 48 inches. I do not know of a B&M invert with a 48-inch requirement; all of them that I am aware of are 54 inches except Banshee, which is 52 inches with the new restraints. I would be surprised to see them put something in that has a height requirement above 48 inches.

• Like 1

What about that "family" B&M yellow track deal, is it moreover a kid coaster? I haven't really followed it since it was sited at CSF & posted here.

Good point about the requirements though I didn't even bother to think about that

You mean the blue family coaster in China?

http://rcdb.com/6712.htm

More pictures here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1450932#p1450932

Notice how there is no vest. :)

They yellow track is a Flying Coaster but I don't think anyone knows where its going. It could be going here but the last time I saw concept art for it, the track was blue.

http://rcdb.com/11930.htm

• Like 1

OK- some factors that should be taken in when trying to "Decode" this:

They say this will be "Holiday World's Largest Project Ever". I'm assuming that means "most expensive". The previous record holder for this title is Mammoth, the $9 million dollar water coaster added in 2012. "By Far" could mean a few million dollars more, or we could be talking $20,000,000+. However, since Holiday World is a smaller park, the latter seems like a bit of a stretch. I would not, however, be shocked at something in the $15,000,000 range- though that kind of rules out most B&M's, since they tend to build much larger, more expensive rides than that. (Also: According to Ed Hart's plan to re-open Kentucky Kingdom, he does NOT think Holiday World can add a very expensive large steel coaster- so if they do he is kind of screwed as that ruins his entire strategy...)

As for what does Holiday World "need"? Well, 2 things- they need a true family-oriented coaster (more on the level of Backlot Stunt Coaster or Adventure Express) since there is a MASSIVE gap between Liberty Launch, arguably their most "intense" flat ride, and The Raven- their "least" intense wooden coaster. I could easily see them building something for my estimated $15M in this class of ride.

The other thing Holiday World needs is a coaster with an inversion, since all 3 of their "thrilling" coasters are traditional woodies. There are many ways Holiday World could go here as well, however, it might make sense to get something Kings Island nor Kentucky Kingdom have- which kind of makes the B&M Flying Coaster make a bit of sense, though I'd wonder how they can afford it unless it is a smaller model. They could in theory kill 2 birds with one stone by building a Cheetah-Hunt like ride, which is family focused but includes inversions. Though it would probably be Premier, Zierer, or Mack because I really don't see Holiday World working with Intamin ever again after how angry they seemed at the Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica install.

This will be interesting...and probably a bit fun too, since it sure was fun to decode Banshee for Kings Island last year...

• Like 6

Its 12:15 am CDT. No update :(

I may be the most impatient person ever.

EDIT: 12:29 am CDT.. growing tired. But I haven't read my bedtime paragraph yet.

EDIT EDIT: 1:36 am EST (my time).. closed my eyes and almost couldn't raise them back up. Yet, still determined.

• Like 1

The "largest investment ever" could be a multi-year project involving multiple attractions or even a hotel. See Dollywood.

Don Koch (previous management) noted in 2012 that this area of the park would be used for the future expansion both of the main park and of Splashin' Safari.

^ I can definitely see a multi-year addition/renovation of the Thanksgiving area. Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica had an awkward entrance that didn't really make sense for expansion; I wonder if there are plans to change that.

I don't know about a hotel, though. Is Holiday World enough of a destination that people spend enough time at to justify multiple nights at a Holiday World hotel? The waterpark is sizable, but I still don't know that both parks combined offer enough to justify any more than a two-day visit at most. What helps is that Holiday World is basically in the middle of nowhere, but unless they throw in enough benefits for guests, it doesn't seem like there would be enough reason to stay there versus Santa's Lodge or Lake Rudolph. Of course, if any Midwest park would make a hotel work, it'd be Holiday World, but I just think they're going to have to offer plenty of incentives to lure people in.

EDIT: I should add that I'm operating under the assumption that a night at a Holiday World hotel would cost more than it would at any of the surrounding hotels.

If I were to stay at that park it wouldn't be at a hotel it would be camping somewhere around the park. Personally I don't see a hotel being a good fit for this park. Dollywood on the other hand made perfect sense.

• Like 2