Thunderbird has launched!

Is there anything out at CSF that would potentially go here? Last time I saw anything about what was sitting out in their parking lot, was for the Carowinds project. There was still some yellow track that was allegedly for the family invert going to China, some white track that IIRC people thought was going to the Carolinas, and some other track. I though I read on here that the park was advertising some sort of "special" delivery coming to the park on Friday that would link to the announcement; obviously that delivery doesn't automatically equate to track or supports (no matter where they are coming from) but if supports were to be delivered tomorrow for a B & M, I would think there would be a decent amount of staging out at CSF to get them loaded and ready to hit the road sometime tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

^They have manufactured track for projects all over the world the past few years. There is speculation on other forums that the teal track that has been spotted outside CSF may be for HW. Most guesses have the white headed to Carowinds, the yellow to China, and the Orange and Red for Europe.

Pics from Hyena Falls!

View from the approach:

ze5uhy8e.jpg

Big shots and a TV crew:

ynubazuv.jpg

The stage is set:

geduhyhe.jpg

Looking off into the distance:

9eba8e5e.jpg

yha7epep.jpg

meqadapy.jpg

atusaha8.jpg

Looking over Voyage's first drop (apologies for not having a camera with an optical zoom; I wanted to pack light):

6aryhyse.jpg

e3uty3uh.jpg

Looking almost straight down:

u8ybugat.jpg

5aduryna.jpg

The bottom right corner is the railing on the back of Hyena Falls's platform. The camera is pointed almost straight down. That should give you a clue as to how close to Hyena Falls this is.

dypysaha.jpg

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

• Like 9

I think I'm the same way - this is a much bigger deal for HW than Banshee is/was for KI.

And a much bigger risk.

This. I was trying to think of another example of a park this size making a single attraction investment on this scale. It would seem that getting a proper ROI on a attraction of this magnitude would be difficult for a park like Holiday World. Admittedly I have no idea of their financial situation or what their year to year revenues look like but this seems like it could be a financial stretch. I just hope this is a "We have saved/planned for this for years" type of investment and not a "Here's hoping we have a 45% jump in attendance (obviously a bit facetious but you get my point) next year!" kind of thing. I love Holiday World to death and would love to see nothing more then for them to continue to grow at the clip they have the last 10-15 years. I would just feel a little more comfortable with the direction of the park if this was say a Vekoma (did I really just wish for a Vekoma? Yikes.) mine train or some other type of family friendly coaster as opposed to the thrill machine it appears to be.

All that said...you better believe I will be getting my butt down to Holiday World a little earlier than normal next year.

• Like 2

Are those covers in the concrete to protect them from the elements or from enthusiasts speculating? I don't remember seeing those on any other coaster project.

I'm guessing that those covers mean that the footers are ready for supports to be installed. Remember that they have a delivery tomorrow, and supports must come before track....

All that said...you better believe I will be getting my butt down to Holiday World a little earlier than normal next year.

Me too!

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

I've wondered if perhaps they have been saving up and planning a project of this scale as a major blow to Kentucky Kingdom. Holiday World has been successful and they certainly don't NEED a 22 million dollar investment but if you lived somewhere between both parks which would you choose next year?

• Like 1

Remember, HW had planned on buying KK (Bluegrass Boardwalk). It seems like they are putting it all back into this project. $20 million...I hope this really gives the park a real boost in sales next year and they recover it all and then some.

• Like 1

After my griping of all things KK has done (or not done) as far as publicity, I am very pleased with how much publicity HW has drawn to this announcement. I am excited about the announcement.

I reread the hints today. I was pretty set that it was going to be a wing coaster until I reread the hints.

I have rode one wing coaster which was Gatekeeper. I am not a fan. It's sluggish to me.

I have rode two flyers, both are Vekomas. It is not that I dislike the ride itself, it's more the low capacity that bothers me.

I would hope they have a vision for expansion on the dry side of HW. I am hoping that they will bring something with more of a wow factor to it and capacity would be something they take into consideration.

Zach mentioned to me that I have not rode a B&M flyer. So I watched a POV of Manta today. That looks like a fun coaster. I think that could bring something more unique to HW and to this area.

Just because I hate to agree with him I will guess it will be a wing coaster because I think that can be more family oriented (so many references in the hints to children makes me think that). He's probably right though. I just hope it's fun.

• Like 5

What are our last minute guesses? I don't know where to begin. Something that will likely cross over the Voyage and is tied to a marketing campaign built around voyage of the Mayflower. References to flying (which don't necessarily help since most any coaster can produce flying sensations)... $22 million. I'm just stuck! Wing Rider sounds like it, but it could be a diversion. It sure was at Kings Island.

• Like 2

It was miraculous enough that B&M used the many moving parts necessary to build a flying coaster!

There's exactly one launched B&M roller coaster in the world. B&M famously would have nothing to do with its launch mechanism. Someone else took care of that.

• Like 1