Thunderbird has launched!

Although I do understand that it's a privilege to be invited to such events.....

I was wondering if there's been any word yet on whether "coaster clubs" will be invited to the Thunderbird Media Day event?

To my knowledge, they haven't released any details about media day yet. However, knowing HW, I would be a bit surprised if coaster clubs weren't invited.

• Like 3

This morning on Twitter.....

.......Oddly enough there were no more updates today stating that the full track work had been completed......

@HolidayWorld on Twitter:

"Thunderbird's final track piece - #77 - is ready to fly! #OrangeIsTheNewTrack #OpeningDayApril25"

7sF4SLT.jpg

Photo : Holiday World via Twitter

Following this tweet.....there were no more updates?......So it was ready to fly......But maybe it couldn't get the wing power?....

• Like 8

Wow. I know the coaster is only just over 3,000 feet long and all and so far the weather has been nice, and they started early, but to think it (this part of construction) is finished so soon...I know it's a B&M and they are famous for finishing projects on time, but I can't help but be impressed. I could see Thunderbird start testing, weather permitting, as early as February. Maybe even January but that'd be a stretch due to weather (January=Supah Cold). I am 99.9% sure it will be ready by late April when Holiday World opens. Great job Holiday World & B&M.

But now, the vicious cycle has begun. Thunderbird will likely open to rave reviews from the GP, and Holiday World will like it and make money off it, and so they will decide to build buy ANOTHER B&M at some point for their 2nd major steel coaster (I could see HW building a Invert or Floorless at some point in the future)...and the cycle starts over...heck, B&M seemingly already has Cedar Fair firmly in their "grasp"... make a product that pleases your customer, and your customers will keep coming back to you so long as the product is good...

• Like 4

I've not heard many people say that they don't like B&M's. They seem to really have their stuff together. Wouldn't surprise me if they ended up with a stranglehold on the coaster industry. Like me, I probably prefer B&M over any other coaster company that I have rode one of their coasters, even though it's a small list.

Except Maverick. I just really love that ride, front row preferably.

I've wanted to take a trip to HW, really want to ride Voyage. Thunderbird will be a great bonus.

• Like 9

As much as I love B&M, and while they do seem to have their stuff together, if somehow they got a pure strangehold on the steel coaster industry (IE all the other companies ragequit or something) it could be bad as then you'd have a Monopoly and then B&M could just make lame rides and parks would pretty much have no choice if they wanted steel coasters. Thankfully, there are still a few companies like Mack & Premier (and others) that can still give B&M a run for their money depending on what the park wants (B&M offers a lot so far but not EVERYTHING).

Though B&M is likely still going to be first on the list of what the park thinks about when deciding on a new coaster, unless the park wants something B&M doesn't make (like a Wild Mouse type coaster, or a Water Coaster, etc- B&M has yet to try those coaster types) or some other company shows Holiday World something that looks really, really cool and the park gets on board with it (which can happen). Though to be fair, one of my ideas for a ride Holiday World could add- and they still can- would be a Mine Train coaster (Arrow may be gone but Vekoma still makes them), if simply to see how they theme it- that park goes a bit crazy with themes at times. :P

• Like 7

I agree with you 100%. You have to have competition. I guess i should've said stranglehold for the foreseeable future. Although I prefer B&M over other coasters, I still like other company's coasters. And you know somewhere, someone is working just as hard as you are, to out do you, at what you do. When someone comes out with something new that's mind-blowing, which sooner or later, will happen, then the parks will have to get their hands on it.

All in all, it's kinda like music. If all music was the same, then listening to music would really suck.

• Like 4

But now, the vicious cycle has begun. Thunderbird will likely open to rave reviews from the GP, and Holiday World will like it and make money off it, and so they will decide to build buy ANOTHER B&M at some point for their 2nd major steel coaster (I could see HW building a Invert or Floorless at some point in the future)...and the cycle starts over...heck, B&M seemingly already has Cedar Fair firmly in their "grasp"... make a product that pleases your customer, and your customers will keep coming back to you so long as the product is good...

Except that the only reason B&M has Cedar Fair in their "grasp" (beside the fact that most of the recent installations reside in the former Paramount Parks) is because the last coaster manufacturer to have said chain in its "grasp" had a history of mechanical issues and post-installation changes that spanned the majority of the last decade. And if we're only looking at the poster child for the entire Fair, there is a 17-year gap between B&M installations.

• Like 5

As much as I love B&M, and while they do seem to have their stuff together, if somehow they got a pure strangehold on the steel coaster industry (IE all the other companies ragequit or something) it could be bad as then you'd have a Monopoly and then B&M could just make lame rides and parks would pretty much have no choice if they wanted steel coasters. Thankfully, there are still a few companies like Mack & Premier (and others) that can still give B&M a run for their money depending on what the park wants (B&M offers a lot so far but not EVERYTHING).

Though B&M is likely still going to be first on the list of what the park thinks about when deciding on a new coaster, unless the park wants something B&M doesn't make (like a Wild Mouse type coaster, or a Water Coaster, etc- B&M has yet to try those coaster types) or some other company shows Holiday World something that looks really, really cool and the park gets on board with it (which can happen). Though to be fair, one of my ideas for a ride Holiday World could add- and they still can- would be a Mine Train coaster (Arrow may be gone but Vekoma still makes them), if simply to see how they theme it- that park goes a bit crazy with themes at times. :P

Actually, I just found this.

S&S-Sansei Technologies breathes new life into the tried and true Arrow Mine Train Coaster popularized by Disney in the ‘60s and ‘70s with a new body style that is lighter in weight and an exciting layout the entire family can enjoy. From the first drop over the hill, the Mine Train delivers belly-tickling drops and hills, speedy curves and exciting banked turns.

Link:

http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/mine-train/

• Like 7

Except that the only reason B&M has Cedar Fair in their "grasp" (beside the fact that most of the recent installations reside in the former Paramount Parks) is because the last coaster manufacturer to have said chain in its "grasp" had a history of mechanical issues and post-installation changes that spanned the majority of the last decade. And if we're only looking at the poster child for the entire Fair, there is a 17-year gap between B&M installations.

You can make a strong case that the Intamin era in the US really only lasted from 1999 (the Supermen: Ride of Steel megas) through 2005 (Kingda Ka). If you take a look at Intamin rides built in the US after 2005, they've built an average of less than one coaster a year here - 7 in total. Also note that they have not built (or announced) any coasters in the US since Skyrush opened in 2012. When Thunderbird and Fury 325 open next year, B&M will have built 7 US coasters since the beginning of 2012. Cedar Fair alone has built one B&M coaster in 7 of the last 8 years, the cheapest of which is still over $20 million!

Parks now are simply not going to make large capital investments in this day and age without knowing exactly what they're getting in return. Even Six Flags largest single investment since 2007 - X-Flight at $15 million - was a B&M (the Drop Towers and the RMC conversions/Goliath ran around $10 million each). Parks just got a lot smarter about how they're allocating capital, particularly for the larger coaster installs.

• Like 6

Yea, but there's a world of difference between the last coaster to be built in the '90s and the ones their building now, IMO.

I really enjoy the ride on Banshee, not so much on Raptor..........

Kumba?

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

Never rode it. I hope that answers that question. ;)

The In-Line-Roll on Thunderbird should be very interesting considering the close proximity between it and the brake run.....

To be honest though, I guess it does sound pretty fun to spiral into the brake run!

The 2015 park season just can't come fast enough! What a year '15 will be in the amusement industry!

• Like 4

If you had, I suspect it would rock your world!

Ah, maybe one of these days. I feel fortunate enough to get to go where I'm going next year. It would be nice to get to go to one of the Busch Gardens, or a Six Flags, If it never happens, Then I still have my CF pass. And that's just fine with me.

But, really, I was talking about the 3 B&M's up on the big lake, I should've been more specific. Gotta love rookies. B)

• Like 7

They have released a new hard hat chronicles video.

They state that there are going to be new near miss elements added to the ride. I am hoping that they extend the last barn element with the in line roll for the right side. That side is really missing the near miss element. Also they are moving a ride to the plaza of Thunderbird. They will announce that move next week. Things just keep getting better and better for this ride! I cannot wait for Holiwood Nights next year!

• Like 8

Actually, I just found this.

S&S-Sansei Technologies breathes new life into the tried and true Arrow Mine Train Coaster popularized by Disney in the ‘60s and ‘70s with a new body style that is lighter in weight and an exciting layout the entire family can enjoy. From the first drop over the hill, the Mine Train delivers belly-tickling drops and hills, speedy curves and exciting banked turns.

Link:

http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/mine-train/

Wow- OK, since S&S did buy Arrow, this would make this the true "successor" to the old Arrow Mine Trains. Also from that page, it seems one of these would fit perfectly with my Holiday World Mine Train idea.

And they are moving a ride to the Thunderbird plaza? Makes some sense, since if they built it all as-is Thunderbird would be the ONLY ride back there and it looks like it'd be a bit of a walk from the current Thanksgiving Plaza section where Giraffica was to it. So putting something else back there to help populate the area a bit more makes some sense and could possibly open up something elsewhere in the park for a future new attraction. My only question is...what will go back there? Revolution? Liberty Launch? Hallowswings? The possibilities are seemingly endless...

• Like 4