Thunderbird has launched!

I think it will be difficult for most anyone to accurately predict crowds. In my experience, Holiday World rarely has lines that early in the year, but I've also never been there in a year when they're opening a new roller coaster (and one unlike any other one they've had before, at that.)

• Like 5

Oh my gosh! Thunderbird is a good ride. It's typical wing coaster that is kinda short, but overall good! The launch is phenomenal! Really enjoyed the theming of the ride.

The event was good, however was quite frustrated that they let a certain coaster club owner/head honcho, ride all of the coasters (minus Howler) with a camera electrical taped to his hand and then electrical taping cameras to the ride chassis. Yes electrical tape. And the rides were delayed because of this. Now if it were an actual media group such as CBS, ABC, etc. I wouldn't mind but the confirmations said a go pro could be brought to be secured to Thunderbird by the staff.....

/Rant Over

Really enjoyed my day! Can't wait to head back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Heard Voyage is also now using its MCBR fully and they plan to the rest of the season aside from Holiwood Nights:

Anyway the head of club that I imagine you're talking about tends to produce the best videos. You were at a media day and they have a lot of reach you should have expected delays from everyone. Despite the tape being used they have done many many of these videos I am pretty sure they have got what they are doing down.

• Like 2

It usually doesn't bother me. I do however watch most videos with the sound off but that's because I will watch them at random times like waiting somewhere or during commercial breaks and don't want to disturb the wife.

• Like 3

Heard Voyage is also now using its MCBR fully and they plan to the rest of the season aside from Holiwood Nights:

According to some comments from media day attendees on Facebook in the Holiwood Nights group, this is not the case, although it appears to be a popular rumor. Voyage is allegedly running 6-car trains with no trims. Paula Werne has yet to respond.

• Like 5

Anyway the head of club that I imagine you're talking about tends to produce the best videos. You were at a media day and they have a lot of reach you should have expected delays from everyone. Despite the tape being used they have done many many of these videos I am pretty sure they have got what they are doing down.

Despite his "good povs" using electrical tape is not full proof with safety. The park was going out of their way to accommodate him, and even asked my group to hold off on using the go-pro we brought for them to mount to let the head of the club go ahead and get the shots he needed. To which he proceeded to mount the cameras to the front of the train with electrical tape. Who's to say the tape won't fail on the Immelmann and fall on someone on the midway?!? The park and he would be in some trouble.

I have no issues what so ever with people posting POVs as long as it's allowed by the park and doing so safely. But I highly doubt electrical tape is the safest method for securing a camera on a ride.

Had I known that practice would have been accepted, I could have used my camera on Thunderbird, Legend, Voyage or Raven and taped it to my hand.

Also, because he has such a "reach" doesn't mean it's right or justifiable.

• Like 8

According to some comments from media day attendees on Facebook in the Holiwood Nights group, this is not the case, although it appears to be a popular rumor. Voyage is allegedly running 6-car trains with no trims. Paula Werne has yet to respond.

Sorry for the double post.

Some of us were told they turned the trims off for coaster enthusiasts today and will for Holiwood Nights because the general public can't handle the ride without them on, generally.

• Like 2

That site and its owner have a thread about banning selfie sticks at parks, I doubt you'll see him with one.

Its kind of a double edged sword with them.  They do produce some decent material and any park would be really dumb to refuse their attendance, but they get away with some weird stuff and I'm not a fan of their behavior.   

• Like 4

You do realize most camera mounts are suction cups right? Even if it is clamped on those are easy to break. You guys just like to get butthurt over anything the dude does. And yes I'd trust the right amount of tape over a suction cup and most clamp mounts the only way it's better is if it's a mount that's screwed in. You act like he took a single piece of scotch tape and called it a day.

To be fair, while it may work, the intended use of Electrical tape is NOT for securing cameras to Roller Coasters. The holding power of Electrical Tape varies greatly depending upon the company that makes it. The cheap crap you find at Wal Mart will barely even stick to itself. People that have experience with Electrical Tape will tell you that it can be nasty stuff. Most all of it leaves behind a sticky, greasy residue, especially when it gets hot. It is also normally a very thin Tape and a lot would be needed to secure a Camera to a Roller Coaster.

That said, I believe the Tape used was something other than Electrical Tape. 

• Like 6