Thunderbird has launched!

^ That's what puzzled me too. I would guess that they used gaffer's tape. It can be torn by hand much easier than electrical tape.  Want to really annoy/get on the bad side of an exhibits/sound person? Use duct tape on your cords. Not that I'd know from someone else's experience or anything. 

• Like 4

So no opening day for this Foxx, but going Sunday instead because tomorrow is going to be a wash weather wise. No point in driving all the way there and not ride anything.

Sunday is great though. I am excited. This will be my first trip ever to HW believe it or not. I guess I never had the desire to go when KI has always been closer and had more coasters, but this year is the year that has drawn me in thanks to T-bird. I am looking foward to going and I hope to make another trip down when the water park opens.

It will also be a bonus since I'll be with Sparky and my girlfriend, both of whom have been to HW before so I will be the guinea pig of the group hahaha.

• Like 6

You do realize most camera mounts are suction cups right? Even if it is clamped on those are easy to break. You guys just like to get butthurt over anything the dude does. And yes I'd trust the right amount of tape over a suction cup and most clamp mounts the only way it's better is if it's a mount that's screwed in. You act like he took a single piece of scotch tape and called it a day.

You do realize that others were instructed to use the camera mounts that the park provided that were zip tied, clamped down like 4/5 different ways and then pinned to the mount where it has to be screwed in vs electrical tape.

Not butt hurt at all, concerned for safety. No matter how you try to justify it, taping a camera to a roller coaster train or someone's hand using electrical tape is not a safe practice. To be in every station when he did so, taping a camera to the trains, holding up dispatch to me is not okay, nor safe. Especially when there are signs in the station that state holding a camera/using a camera is not allowed. If I have to follow the rules in the park, why doesn't he? His reach and his ability to get people to a park shouldn't be justification on safety.

Not to mention, Gator and I met a guy who won a contest, a general public kind of dude, who even mentioned to me about how he couldn't believe this guy was taping a camera to the ride and his hand. Said he hoped it didn't fall off and hit someone. So yeah, not okay.

To be fair, while it may work, the intended use of Electrical tape is NOT for securing cameras to Roller Coasters. The holding power of Electrical Tape varies greatly depending upon the company that makes it. The cheap crap you find at Wal Mart will barely even stick to itself. People that have experience with Electrical Tape will tell you that it can be nasty stuff. Most all of it leaves behind a sticky, greasy residue, especially when it gets hot. It is also normally a very thin Tape and a lot would be needed to secure a Camera to a Roller Coaster.

That said, I believe the Tape used was something other than Electrical Tape.

^ That's what puzzled me too. I would guess that they used gaffer's tape. It can be torn by hand much easier than electrical tape. Want to really annoy/get on the bad side of an exhibits/sound person? Use duct tape on your cords. Not that I'd know from someone else's experience or anything.

Amen! I don't know if it was electrical or gaffers tape, but it seemed to be the look of electrical tape based on my usage of it.

My point really is this, no matter who it is, their method of capturing video/pictures needs to be safe. The practice I saw, in my honest opinion was not safe. Yes, he did capture video without incident, but I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of possible failure would be much higher than using the park provided mounts.

Any other reviews of Thunderbird? What was B&M's launch like? Which seats are best? I want in-depth answers, people!!!

Reviews of Thunderbird = amazing. I mean it's not my #1 coaster but it's very good. The launch, absolutely phenomenal. The "show" throws you off so you can never really know IMO when it's going to happen. It is a forceful launch initially taking off but 1/4 of the way down the launch track it's like you are just floating down fast!

The course is great, I think it could use a few more elements. The fly through barn and the roll above it....oh my gosh! Love it!

I would have to say the best seat is them all! Haha, I rode in each seat, plus got 8 more rides in. I really like the front left outside and back right outside.

I talked with Will's daughters and they said the front is the best during the day and back is the best at night. It is a great addition to Holiday World!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Well, I was Gatekeeper's first public Walk of Shame, and I ended up being Thunderbird's too.  (Come to think of it, I was one of the first for Wild Eagle too during the Season Pass Preview Day when it opened; I rode it at least once and then had a WoS, so I would say I'm at least in the first 20.  I guess wing coasters don't like me)  Both sides of rows 2 and 3 will accomodate bigger riders and there are signs in the station stating that.  My first attempt to ride was Row 3 Left.  The ride op said he was worried about hurting me by pushing down too hard.  Luckily, a reporter was speaking on camera while she was in her seat so we weren't the ones holding up dispatch.  We eventually came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work out.  I was okay with that; I was there with friends and even if I didn't get to ride I would still have fun, not to mention rides on Voyage, Raven, Legend & Crow's Nest.

A friend told me to try the right side since the ride op there was a little more helpful.  I was able to squeeze into Row 2 Right.  The launch is great, with thunder effects and fog building anticipation.  Since I was riding the right side I missed out on the head choppers on the 2nd passthrough of the barn, but it was still a fun ride.  It's a good addition to the park.  I liked it better than Wild Eagle, but I think I might like Gatekeeper a little more.  I'll have to ride both again to compare since I haven't ridden GK since it's Media Day and I only got one ride on TB.

There's one problem I find myself having though.  I am almost consistantly calling HW's new coaster by the wrong name; I keep calling it Thunderhead.  I was telling the Gatorettes about my day last night and kept calling it Thunderhead.  I've even had to go back and re-type it's name in this post.  I guess that's the problem with having a name so similar to that of my #1 wood coaster!

• Like 7

Did it fall off? And also have they ever had a camera fall?

Gator I am glad you got to ride. One day I won't live in fear of not getting rides for me being too big. I'm trying to make changes but I took some steps back after what happened in November.

• Like 1

Ravenmaven also known as Paula posted this on TPR.

"Regarding the questions about The Voyage: The mid-course brakes on Voyage (coming out of the spaghetti bowl) have existed since we opened it in 2006. They have been used on and off over the years, including when Will was still with us. This season, they are on, to keep the speed of Voyage heading into the triple-down at a constant speed. What that means is the amount of trim is based on timing. The time it takes to travel from the top of the lift hill to the mid-course brakes will determine the amount of trim applied, so every train (whether fully loaded with husky adults or with only a few seats filled) will enter the triple-down at a consistent speed. This is to improve the experience for many, many of our Guests who simply do not enjoy the super-aggressiveness of the second half of the ride (the first half of the ride has not changed - there aren't brakes hidden in a tunnel). I spoke with many enthusiasts yesterday who enjoyed their Voyage rides immensely, noticing either nothing or very little difference at the safety block. We hope you'll attend HoliWood Nights and see for yourself!"

• Like 1

Dare-to-fly not being here, I'll say it.

BoulderDash! Those trims are used to lessen maintenance costs. Greatly.

Corporate think is very well at Holiday World.

Pat has been lefted from the park.

It's only a matter of time until the place is sold.

What once was is no more.

And Paula Werne is very, very good at what she does. If she were not, one or more of the revolving carousel of owners would have ejected her.

And don't look for me anywhere near that place. I will come back when and if the surviving matriarch does--and not a minute before. In fact, I drove right by the place today. And kept right on driving.

• Like 5

I was questioning why now, nine years after the ride opened, the park decided the ride was too much for guests. The only reason I could come up with is them wanting to reduce maintenance costs.

To be entirely honest, I'm not sure I can blame them. Voyage does seem like too much wood coaster for a small family-owned park. It does bring back the question of why the plug was pulled on the Timberliners... Unless they somehow increased maintenance costs, I assume that any change in the ride experience would be just as noticeable as what they're doing now.

• Like 4

To be honest, I don't just think Voyage would be too much for a small park to handle- a ride that large (by wooden standards) and intense would probably be too much for a big park too. Looking at the tallest and fastest "normal" wooden coasters, a lot of them are maintenance nightmares, and most usually get negative reviews- with only a few exceptions having truly stood the test of time (Kings Island's Beast being one of those few- and it's design and use of trim brakes itself may be a reason it is still even going so strong). This does not count Intamin's Prefab woodies, or RMC's topper track "woodies" (if you can even considered them wooden).both of which can do the 150+ foot drops and 65+ mph speeds with no problems, though both behave and ride unlike traditional wooden coasters. Because of its sheer size and intensity, I can probably assume Six Flags would be "OH (BLEEP) NO!!!" to Voyage as they haven't really put up with much tamer woodies since they started with RMC, and Cedar Fair would have problems with it as well (even though Cedar Fair has been a bit kinder to their wooden coasters in recent years versus Six Flags).

Many wooden coasters in the past were eventually demolished because their maintenance costs became too great, and/or they were just too intense for most riders. I fear Voyage could become one of those coasters in the future, especially if the park ownership changes and the new owners aren't willing to put up with such a high maintenance ride. (One big fear I have if this happens if if Voyage is still getting decent enough reviews, said ownership may stupidly axe Raven or Legend- both perfectly fine wooden coasters with fairly normal upkeep levels- to make room for Voyage in the budget...)

Then again, maybe using the MCBR all the time could be enough to keep Voyage's upkeep down to at least somewhat tolerable levels. Hopefully, that'll be the case and nothing will need to be removed/modified. But other big wooden coasters were trimmed before, and a lot of them still had issues afterwards. The seas ahead may still be rough for this massive wooden coaster.

• Like 2

No it didn't, but there is still a chance and I actually pretty upset that not only my safety but my friends safety could have been compromised if a failure would have occurred. If you want to continue trying to prove how his practices were right, feel free to PM me. 

Back to the Thunderbird experience....... I may have to look over my list and see where it falls.....it ended up being my 171st coaster!

• Like 5

I understand a lot of people are still pessimistic about the future of the park. But this place was destined to be run by Will's kids. They all were in college studying something pertaining to the amusement park business. This park will not be sold and it will still have the Koch name running it for years to come. You can hear it and see it whenever you talk to Will's children. They have the drive to keep their father's dream alive.

• Like 7

To the post above, the upkeep for The Voyage can't be all that too awful. The Beast has been getting complete replacement of track and supports during the offseason yearly. The only thing that needs replaced on The Voyage is track. Which is very minimum in terms of wood used.

As long as that stays ahead of their drive to make more millions.

This is not aimed at you personally but what is wrong with people making a profit? If there is no profit there is now park. From what it looks like it Dan was the only one looking to cash in on a profit. He was the one as interim president no less that raised his salary 4 fold from just under 300k to over $1 million in just 2 years.

"Dan Koch threatened to sue his sister-in-law. He was then fired as the park’s interim president and removed from the company board. Lori Koch filed a lawsuit, claiming Dan underestimated the shares’ value; the lawsuit also objected the $1 million salary raise Dan wanted to give himself as interim president."

"In October 2013, the Indiana Court of Appeals ruled in a 3-0 decision that Lori Koch can retain her majority shares of Koch Development Co., which owns and operates Holiday World. The outcome affirms a ruling handed down by Judge Carl Heldt in Vanderburgh Circuit Court that Lori Koch did not have to sell shares formerly owned by her late husband.

Last month, the Indiana Supreme Court decided it will not hear the case, effectively upholding the Court of Appeals’ decision."

The case was so open and shut that they didn't even hear Dan's appeal.

^https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/koch-family-purchases-alabama-water-park

Dan's greed is what got him in trouble.

http://www.courierpress.com/business/indiana-supreme-court-declines-take-holiday-world

"When Will died in 2010, Lori was appointed to represent his estate. Lori soon sent Dan a letter expressing a desire to keep Will's shares and Dan also sought to waive the requirements of the purchase agreement.

Dan then took over as Holiday World president and CEO. However, when he sought to increase his salary, Lori objected and Dan then sought to buy her shares. That resulted in a disagreement between Lori and Dan over the share price and prompted Lori to file the lawsuit in January 2011."

I seriously don't know how ANYONE can side with Dan after reading what the courts have concluded about the case. Dan according to the lawsuit tried to devalue and undermine his sister in law AND nieces and nephew what was rightfully theirs. I just don't know how anyone can back this guy when all the facts of what he has done is readily available for anyone to review. I mean he should be happy that he still has his 40 pecent sharehold in the company and that wasn't taken away from him. People try to make Lori out to be the greedy one when the courts and all the documents pertaining to this lawsuit point to Dan being the agressor and greedy party.

• Like 3

It would be foolish for Dan to sell his shares since he fought so hard to take them from Lori. Plus those shares still hold value and will only increase as HW and KDC increase in value. My assumption would be that Dan has no controlling interest in the day to day operations of HW, he was removed from the board, yet he still has 40% sharehold of KDC. Since he is now a minority holder in the company he has no final input since 60% belongs to Lori and she now makes the final decisions as she is the majority shareholder. I have yet to hear the park mention anything about shareholder or ownership.

Consider where the Alabama investment monies came from...

Not sure I follow did he sell his shares to start up Koch Family Parks? All of the articles I have read said he has Not commented on if he is selling his shares. So my assumptions could indeed be incorrect.

• Like 1