Thunderbird has launched!

That's the thing that I am thinking. This is the most recent article that I could find about Dan and Natalie.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2014/03/koch-family-branches-out-buys-alabamas.html?m=1

It says he still holds his 40%. I do know that ASA and HW indeed have no connection whatsoever. I know there was an Indystar article that said he would be open to selling his shares but I think they totaled $44 million and from what I have read it only cost the Kochs $7 million to purchase ASA. That amount should be easy to take out as a loan since he would have the KDC shares as collateral if he indeed still controls that 40%.

• Like 1

I've been wondering how Holiday World was able to afford such a major investment as Thunderbird, let alone have the money to buy Dan's 40% share in the park in addition to the coaster..

There are also the not so little matters of Estate and Gift taxes after the unexpected deaths and the litigation expenses, which certainly were not small. Any sale would also likely trigger income taxes.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with making a profit at all. I would just hate to see them do it by pulling an Ed Hart.

For Millionaires there is no such thing as too many millions. Some folks can never have enough. Take Mike Tyson and MC Hammer for example.

The majority of millionaires have worked hard for their millions and I commend them. Others, not so much.

• Like 3

Thunderbird is awesome!  The launch is outstanding, and I see this used by B&M more in the future.  Another cool thing is I made the news.  http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/16890/5730901   Time 1:14 and 1:10 .    Also The Weeeeeman is a douche.  My opinion!  That is all.

** Also I hold the title of first lost article on Thunderbird.  LOL  My skull cap peeled off my head in the front seat.  

• Like 12

I had to drive down to Henderson ky to pick a friend up. Drove by the park without going in to get a ride on Thunderbird and Voyage. Made me sad. I was also within ten minutes of being involved in a tornado as it went through my friends back yard.

• Like 7

In addition the previous post's 4K POV, Coasterforce has also posted a POV of each side of the ride...in 60 Frames Per Second! So if your browser supports it (Firefox apparently just now does for me), here you go: Thunderbird at double the usual POV refresh rate!

Left Side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awPsI_2F4c

Right Side

Thunderbird Off-Ride (also 60FPS)

• Like 8

Well, looks like Thunderbird was not the only coaster CoasterForce filmed at 60FPS...

Front Seat POV @ 60FPS

Rear Seat POV @ 60FPS

A 3D version is also available. See CoasterForce's Youtube page for it. Also: I really hope they also do Raven & Legend, I really like these 60FPS POV's- they seem to show off the speed of a coaster better than 30FPS to me. And more videos from other parks like Kings Island at 60FPS too would be awesome.

• Like 8

Like Kings Island, it would depend a lot on weather and what time of year it is. A weekend in May or Early June would probably not be so bad, but late June-Early August would likely be pretty packed. Though Holiday World, by virtue of being a smaller park in the middle of nowhere, would still likely not be as crowded as Kings Island or Cedar Point. Also on hot days, most of the crowds will hit the waterpark instead as it's a HUGE draw for the park. On my visit in Memorial Day Weekend 2010 (first ever trip), many waterslides were 45+ minute waits. New-for-2010 Water Coaster Wildebeest was 2+ hours. None of the wooden roller coasters were more than 20 when I rode them. Though Thunderbird will likely make it noticeably more crowded in 2015- large coasters are known to cause spikes in attendance when they debut at smaller parks like this. In 1997, when Kentucky Kingdom added Chang, they got over 500,000 more guests that year then they did in 1996. If Thunderbird can get those kind of results for Holiday World, expect a crowd surge in 2015 and increased wait times as a result.

You may also want to do a weekday if you can- May and Early June have traditionally been not that crowded on those days, even for the major waterpark attractions, and even the added Thunderbird crowds probably won't hurt too much. Holiday World does seem to have the Six Flags-like policy of "not crowded, run one train on the coasters" though so you may still have to wait for Voyage on a day like this (6400+ feet of track and one train do not mix well for wait times).

• Like 6

Well, one of my hopes came true: the Halloween CCI's are here in 60 frames per second...

The Raven

The Legend

With Voyage and Thunderbird already filmed and posted, all of Holiday World's coasters have high quality 60FPS POV's now. Well, unless you count the water coasters. 60FPS Waterslide POV's? :P Also apparently based on comments on The Legend video, it got a retrack this offseason. Also looks like Raven may have gotten a bit of work too but not sure for that one (guessing based on seeing lots of wood down for "walking" the track on it for possibly doing fixes). Apparently the HW Wood Coaster guys had a lot of work this offseason on all 3 woodies, and with Thunderbird opening, I could see why the park might do it (get all 3 woodies running as good as possible for all the new guests who will be coming for Thunderbird in 2015).

• Like 7

In the first Voyage video: "This knocks El Toro down to #2!"

Terpy probably thinks that's a load of bull. He tends to rave about something else in HW.

That said, is it just me or does Voyage look even more exciting than it did before with Thunderbird going over it?

• Like 5

I really enjoyed the video that Joncars05 posted.  There was a lot of good information there and had some great footage.  Well done video all around.

As far as the ride goes...it's a really nice coaster and a perfect fit for the park.  The launch is fun and is a nice start.  There were four things about the coaster that really caught me by surprise:

(1) The horseshoe turns. Those elements looked very non-descript in the animation, but they carry a lot more speed through them than I was anticipating, particularly at the bottom of the turns.  I understand now why B&M put them in the design.

(2) The zero-g roll.  This might be the best zero-g roll on any B&M built in the US since Kraken opened in 2000.  The train moves through the roll much more quickly than the other inverts and wingriders built recently so it provides that snap that I always love.  It is a nice reminder as to why I believe they're the best element on inverting coasters.

(3) The S-curve.  That thing has a really nice pop of airtime!

(4) The capacity.  I believe the capacity was originally stated to be in the neighborhood of 1,100 people an hour, and I'm betting they were very close to that figure.  I was very pleasantly surprised as to how well the line moves despite the 20-passenger trains.

If I had a choice as to which of the wingriders I like best it would probably be Thunderbird by just a smidge over Gatekeeper.  Thunderbird has a lot of that old B&M sitdown/floorless coaster punch but with the benefit of the winged seats for the enhanced view.  It's a really good addition and I hope that this isn't Holiday World's last B&M.

• Like 7

I have to say, I went to HW on the 26th with two incredible Friends, one of which is an occasional poster on this site, and it was one of the best days Ive had at a park.  Thunderbird is the perfect addition to the park, and is BY FAR the most re-rideable of the now 4 U.S. Wing-Riders.  Ive not been on X-Flight, but I have to put this one at #1 just slightly above Gatekeeper, and leaps and bounds above Mild Eagle. All that ride has, to me, is great scenery.  Also, Voyage is running better than it has since 2010, and its happily once again re-rideable as well.  Though Im still salty about not seeing Pat there, I will say that I will be back with those same Friends and more at least one additional time this season, maybe 2 or 3.  

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I finally was able to ride Thunderbird during Holiwood Nights this past weekend. This ride does not disappoint!

The theming of the ride is outstanding. The queue line is underneath the station. I like the fact that the lights in the queue under the station flicker and dim with the lightning and thunder when the train gets into the pre-show/launch area. Speaking of the pre show once you are rolled out of the station you enter the "launch area." The lighting, fog, and sound effects are great. The speakers are loud and the fog is good without being overbearing, thepreshow really does get you off to a thunderous start of the ride. The launch is smooth and more powerful than what the POV shows. And the Immelmann turn is fantastic. On the left side I felt weightlessness, on the right you get pulled over pretty quickly. The loop following is solid as well.

I thought the turn arounds actually had some force to them at the bottom of the turns as they carried much more speed than I though they would. The zero g roll from the right side has a pretty good pop of air, from the left it has the airtime plus the roll feels like it takes forever to roll through(in a good way) and get upright again even though you carry a good amount of speed through it. The s curve before the barn on the left side is fast as you are closer to the ground but on the right side there is a good pop of airtime before getting pulled through the barn. Then the finale of going through the barn not once but twice is fantastic. The first time through you are ducking because it feels so tight when you are riding. The second one on the left side comes so fast you barely have time to react to the barn as you flow right through it upside down. On the right side during the second time through the barn you miss the barn but fly over the roof in such a slow fashion that it feels like you may land on top of the barn.

My favorite seat

I think the POV does a good job at describing the ride but the little things that I mentioned make the ride unique and a bit different from the POV. I think the biggest thing is that they literally saved every tree they could to make this ride happen. In this day in age of massive land clearing, building a new coaster, and having nothing to base the speed off of the ride truly unique. The tradition of ride rolling through the woods of Holiday World is indeed alive and well. With how heavily wooded the area is one would think the ride has been at Holiday World for years especially when you compare it with the newer rides being installed lately.

Overall this is a fantastic ride addition to HW. It is intense enough to entertain enthusiasts and coaster fans in general public yet not so intense that a young kid would be intimidated into not riding it. It really is a family friendly addition that includes a 60 MPH launch and 4 inversions. My twin cousins that are 11 absolutely loved it. It was their first roller coaster that went upside down so it was a big deal to them that they could ride it and ride it over and over again during Holiwood Nights.

I snapped a few pictures and videos from my phone:

Thunderbird- Holiday World

• Like 8

Not only was I impressed with the ride, I was equally impressed by how much "stuff" they put back there. In addition to the ride and a new gift shop (which is to be expected), they added restrooms, a food stand, a drink station, tables and benches and put another Dippin' Dots stand back there. All of this plus the re-themed/relocated Sparkler (now known as Crow's Nest). When I was last at the park back in late August, they hadn't even finished building the station yet. It's amazing how much they accomplished in such a short time.

• Like 6

I found this on facebook(https://www.facebook.com/groups/325861871036/permalink/10153396315131037/)

The most amazing thing just happened. We've been spending the weekend at Holiday World in Santa Claus Indiana, as part of a roller coaster enthusiast club event. A new launched wing coaster opened here last week, called the Thunderbird, and it launches from a two story barn in a crescendo of thunder, simulated lightning, and clouds of steam. Brendan watched the intro video last week and was so excited to try it. But none of us realized the special effects would scare him so much. Even a daytime tour back behind the tracks couldn't make him feel better about it. Scott and I felt so bad for him. He cried while we sat on a bench and watched everyone else riding it. Finally, Scott and Jeff found some staff to talk to about the problem... And within minutes the maintenance crew arrived to TURN OFF THE SPECIAL EFFECTS! He was so excited and was on the ride in minutes. Kudos to the operators at Holiday World for being so kind to those with special needs!

• Like 10

^^ I can honestly say that this story doesn't surprise me at all. HW is much more about havin a great and fun experience. They don't need the slogan best day ever to know that they will do their best to provide that great experience to their customers. Much better than a certain public relations person at CP today that told me to leave the park if I didn't like the hour long registration line...

Above and beyond are the words that I would describe HW and their staff.

• Like 7

Wow that goes to great lengths for customer service right there. Incredible, incredible stuff.

I posted elsewhere a few places about Thunderbird, I guess I didn't here. I will say go ride it, it's incredible. The theming is pretty cool, it's not Disney or anything, but it's neat. I found more impressive theming walking the Queue with the flickering lights & barn atmosphere than I did on the ride IMO. 

The launch is great, almost Intamin strength. Smooth and fast for sure, not jolting hard, but very close. The forces on that ride are phenominal. The vest on the OTSR needs to be there, this is perhaps the most forceful coaster B&M has made since the 90's and early 2000's. The efficiency of the ride is great too. Right when the train stops in the ready brake, the train in station is dispatched. Perfect interval, everytime. Then the efficiency of the ride itself. Magnetic braking, only three friction brakes on the whole ride, all of them practically never used. Just perfect piece of engineering and efficiency to the last drop.

Only flaw I see isn't in anything of the ride. I noticed while I was there three semi generators in the giant area of land cleared next to the station with possibly hundreds of electrical conduits running from the trailers to green transformer next to the ride station. Maybe an issue with the new substation Holiday World built for the park or the Will Power flywheel building not working? Interesting for sure to say the least. Now I'm curious what all that land cleared out is going to be for. 

• Like 9

I really am impressed with their customer service. Due to the fact I hadn't gone in around 5-6 years, I did not know the waterpark layout well. I could easily find the giant orange and brown roller coaster, not so much with some of the rides in the water park. One of the life guards heading to his shift at the wave pool next to the 2 water coasters personally lead me to them. It wasn't much but it felt personal. On the way, he asked about my day and what I felt about ThunderBird. Honestly love the staff there. 

• Like 7

Only flaw I see isn't in anything of the ride. I noticed while I was there three semi generators in the giant area of land cleared next to the station with possibly hundreds of electrical conduits running from the trailers to green transformer next to the ride station. Maybe an issue with the new substation Holiday World built for the park or the Will Power flywheel building not working? Interesting for sure to say the least. Now I'm curious what all that land cleared out is going to be for.

Paula has stated elsewhere that those were required by the state in order for the ride to open.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...Holiday World just posted something interesting on their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/HolidayWorld/posts/10153089021564538?comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22O%22}

From the link, quoted...

"Because we appreciate your ideas: We're talking about adding a premium layer to Season Passes for 2016. What "extras" do you think it should it include?"

A premium-level season pass? Oh boy. That's Six Flags and Cedar Fair type stuff there, not "little family park" stuff. Huge steel coasters, Voyage's 2nd half being nerfed to cut costs, heavy promotion of record-breaking rides, aggressive expansion (including attempts to buy another park which I'm pretty sure we may see them do again)...and now this kind of thing. For better or worse, Holiday World seems to be becoming a giant regional park and not the small family park people fell in love with back in the 80's and 90's. I seriously hope stuff like the free soft drinks, free parking and affordable nature of the park doesn't go the way of the Dodo in favor of 10+ roller coasters and $4 drinks. We already have Kings Island for that in this region.

• Like 5

"Free" parking and "free" drinks. I think Holiday World will keep that tradition going.

;)

Not every change is for the worse. Not every change is for the better. Until I know more about the premium season pass, I'll hold judgement.

Now what's this about Voyage's second half?

• Like 1