Thunderbird has launched!

So, I am getting a sense that there is a general consensus that Dive Machines have been a let down in the past? I fortunately, or unfortunately, have not experienced one. Are they that bad? Is it the restraints, or does the diving gimmick get old?

• Like 1

I wouldn't generalize dive coasters that way. Everyone has their opinions. Some people think TTD is a gimmick, some people love it. Some people hate Arrows, some people love them. Its all in how YOU like them. Jonathan is right though, YMMV. I like the speed and train styling of Dive coasters, but after the first drop they do kind of fall flat. But I also have never ridden a ride that I absolutely hated. Again YMMV.

• Like 1

Dive machines are OK if you're visiting a park you don't get to very often. I've only ridden Sheikra, and it was twice in the same day. If you get an opportunity to ride do not miss it because they are indeed very different.

It was neat and the front row on either extremity of the car is ok for forces and floating out over nothingness. It was very very smooth, which is likely a testament to the BGT maintenance schedule and crew, but the ride is very short in comparison to other coasters. They lose momentum very quickly because the cars are so heavy and wide, which limits their element and inversion potential.

That isn't to say it's necessarily a bad ride or ride type though. It's my wife's favorite coaster in fact! They EAT people, the lines move quickly, and they offer a different ride experience so they are a sound investment for amusement and theme parks and general admission guests.

For the enthusiast who loves coasters, elements, and the speculation of what could be or could have been they are somewhat of a let down though.

• Like 5

Arrow is a registered trademark used by its successor in interest. As such, it is always capitalized here.

(Imagine an Arrow dive coaster. That, my friends, would be something!)

If the drop on an Arrow dive machine were anything like the first drop on Vortex while seated in 7-1, it would be magical.

• Like 6

Arrow is a registered trademark used by its successor in interest. As such, it is always capitalized here.

(Imagine an Arrow dive coaster. That, my friends, would be something!)

I can imagine it. Transitions so abrupt that I would shout Ron Toomer's name in vain!

Hey I've done it on Vortex and Anaconda!

• Like 1

I will definitely have to take a ride on one to fully understand the experience. I will be in the Tampa Bay area in October... hmm... perhaps Busch Gardens will call my name!

If you're able to go, don't skip it. It's my favorite park and I know others also hold it in high regard.
  • Like 5

Unfortunately, the forums do not permit unliking a post after you've left the page.

The forums do permit the action, but you must alter your theme into mobile mode first.

Thanks! I thought it was a "feature" of the boards, because even Tapatalk does not allow you to unlike posts after changing pages. I didn't know that you could do it in the mobile web skin.

I'm not sure if it's the same across all mobile platforms, but I can definitely like and unlike posts through Tapatalk.

Gwazi Lion was decent for me, though I rode front seat, which probably nullified most of the roughness. Tiger was closed that day.

That said, Gwazi is the only wooden coaster on which I have ever seen a sign at the entrance warning riders that it may be much rougher than the other steel coasters in the park. I wonder what that says about Gwazi, and the park in general.

• Like 4

Wooden coasters are seemingly a rare thing in Florida. In fact, when I was there a teen behind me in line exclaimed that it was weird and that she had never seen one like it.

The only other one that comes to mind right now in Florida is at Legoland.

• Like 3