Geauga Lake: From Icon to Eyesore.

Still never understood how CF sold the ride but it stays on their land. Why would anyone sell anything and not make them do something with it. Still confusing.

But nowadays looking at it, to be able to pay just 5k for a coaster like that. Man..I could pull a small personal loan right there and it would have been mine and I would have worked to save it, but nope. Just..wow

Still never understood how CF sold the ride but it stays on their land. Why would anyone sell anything and not make them do something with it. Still confusing.

Who care's if it stays on the land, it's not like CF is doing anything with the land anyways...Cedar Fair got there money and I'm sure that's all they care about.

If you are interested in purchasing the Big Dipper, contact Jeff at 330-635-3726 or message the "North Ohio Classic Parks" Facebook page.

This is the best part of the article. ;)

I still wonder what the "owner" of GL's Big Dipper actually owns in 2014.

I can't imagine that it includes a real estate interest in improvements still standing on the site.

But nowadays looking at it, to be able to pay just 5k for a coaster like that. Man..I could pull a small personal loan right there and it would have been mine and I would have worked to save it, but nope. Just..wow

The article cites a price 13 times the 5k you cite.

And I'd advise "Caveat Emptor" for numerous reasons.

As Gabe here can attest (and a couple of others), dealing with the "owner's" agent is not exactly pleasurable. And I seriously question whether at this point he has any interest to sell.

• Like 3

^ But what would a buyer get for the $65k?

Sketches? Parts? The name? Rights to access/move/demolish something on Cedar Fair's land in 2014?

Does the "owner" pay "storage" fees for keeping his coaster on someone else's property?

• Like 1

The article cites a price 13 times the 5k you cite.

And I'd advise "Caveat Emptor" for numerous reasons.

As Gabe here can attest (and a couple of others), dealing with the "owner's" agent is not exactly pleasurable. And I seriously question whether at this point he has any interest to sell.

As Terpy said, I advised a KIC member and her overseas partner for more than a year as they attempted to negotiate the purchase of the ride. It was a learning experience for all involved and I'd def recommend nobody on here trying to secure this coaster on their own. It's going to take a herculean effort to pry this from the owner's hands and I'm not convinced 65k is going to get the job done. I can only foresee a company with institutional knowledge on how to operate amusement parks buying this ride. You have to seperate your heart from your brain on you'll soon be seperated from your money with nothing to show for it.

• Like 2

If I were a potential buyer, the first thing I'd do is have a structural engineering analysis done to determine the state of the ride. Judging from the pictures, the current 'owner' looks to be sitting on a $5k pile of kindling.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Thought this was the most appropriate place to put this.

Not much news other than:

Administrators from Aurora and Bainbridge Township -- the two communities on which the property sits -- as well as Cedar Fair representatives, say they're working toward turning the burdensome white elephant around.

Bainbridge Trustee Jeff Markley said he prefers that the property not be sold piecemeal.

However, it is currently being marketed in just that manner.

Because no sales materialized while offered as a single parcel in 2008, it was removed from the market for three years. Recently it's been made available again with the option of acquiring sections as small as 3.5 acres.

According to West, quite a bit of interest has been shown since the property is again being actively marketed, including written offers currently under negotiations.

"The way we're guiding this is making zoning and planning conducive to that development. I think our real combined belief ... is that we don't want to see it schlopped off and sold in a lot of small pieces. We're not interested in applications of small parcels.

"I understand what Cedar Fair is trying to accomplish," he added. "They're trying to part ways with the property. I think it's really incumbent with Cedar Fair to take part in the planning to see the big vision."

The real estate agent noted that a time limit of about a year has been set to sell the property as it is currently being marketed.

"After a year we will sell the property at a much more aggressive strategy," he said, which could mean dramatically reduced prices or selling to a conservation group to remove the asset from Cedar Fair.

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20130515/neighbors-still-wonder-what-will-become-of-former-geauga-lake-amusement-park-property-with-video