KI's Next Restaurant

Sonofbeast2.0

I would want the Festhaus to get a complete redo. Get ride of eveything that's currently inside there. I know there is some good food in there, but those can all be spread out to new locations across the park. Add traditional German food to really make that area great. I hope that the next area in the park to get some TLC is Oktoberfest, since right now there is really nothing to it. Hopefully revamping the Festhaus would be a high priority if this ever happens.

• Like 10

I'd love to see them get together with Schmidt's in Columbus and incorporate that into the festhaus. For those that haven't been, Schmidt's offers a wonderful German buffett, and the cream puffs are only slighly smaller than one's head (ok, more than slightly, but they are huge none the less). Or considering the success of Christian Morlein's lager house near the ball park, perhaps relocate the Christian Morlein Beer Garden over to the festhause in a redesign, perhaps split the building into two, one half expose to the perimeter with lots of seating in a sit down style service, and the other half can serve the chinese, burgers and pizza (but what to do with the shows?)

What I expect them to do in the next 2-3 years is a front entrance redesign/upgrade that will offer ADA approved access to the restaurant up there, perhaps make it available year round for weddings/business meetings, make a room w/n the building rentable near the end of the evening for prime firework viewing, etc... The front entrance is in great need of an upgrade, more eletronic kiosks, etc.... and I believe somewhere CF management indicated that the success of Gate Keeper has propelled them towards more front gate updates. With the Tower being the main focal point, I can't envision a ride swooping across the front gate the way Gate Keeper does (nor would I want it, I'd like that to be unique to CP as a goal towards more uniqueness at all of their parks, not 3 similar coasters all being installed at the same time at 3 parks in the chain). Making the restaurant a dependable moneymaker could help them recapture their investment beyond improved effieciences in ticketing/processing. I suppose some of that may depend on the viability of the Reds Hall of Fame Grill. I loved the place when I ate there, just don't know if they're getting their expected (or better) return on investment or not. I certainly hope so, I'd love to some a few more things spread across the park like that.

• Like 8

I think I've said this before on here, but #yolo.

• Throw out Oktoberfest as a themed area (let's face it, it's seen better days and basically exists only on the map) and make what currently is Oktoberfest part of International Street, or call it International Festival like Canada's Wonderland has.
  • Panda Express and LaRosa's stay in Festhaus, but the stage doesn't.  Sorry, I don't like trying to shout over One Direction while ordering food or trying to eat.
  • Add two new "international" food options to Festhaus.
  • Burn the current tables and benches in a bonfire and replace them with small tables like the other restaurants in the park.
  • Redecorate and repaint the inside to look bright and cheery, not dark like it does currently.

Edit: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/28619-oktoberfest-through-the-years/?p=577324

Edited by CedarPointer
  • Like 6

I'd love to see them get together with Schmidt's in Columbus and incorporate that into the festhaus. For those that haven't been, Schmidt's offers a wonderful German buffett, and the cream puffs are only slighly smaller than one's head (ok, more than slightly, but they are huge none the less). Or considering the success of Christian Morlein's lager house near the ball park, perhaps relocate the Christian Morlein Beer Garden over to the festhause in a redesign, perhaps split the building into two, one half expose to the perimeter with lots of seating in a sit down style service, and the other half can serve the chinese, burgers and pizza (but what to do with the shows?)

What I expect them to do in the next 2-3 years is a front entrance redesign/upgrade that will offer ADA approved access to the restaurant up there, perhaps make it available year round for weddings/business meetings, make a room w/n the building rentable near the end of the evening for prime firework viewing, etc... The front entrance is in great need of an upgrade, more eletronic kiosks, etc.... and I believe somewhere CF management indicated that the success of Gate Keeper has propelled them towards more front gate updates. With the Tower being the main focal point, I can't envision a ride swooping across the front gate the way Gate Keeper does (nor would I want it, I'd like that to be unique to CP as a goal towards more uniqueness at all of their parks, not 3 similar coasters all being installed at the same time at 3 parks in the chain). Making the restaurant a dependable moneymaker could help them recapture their investment beyond improved effieciences in ticketing/processing. I suppose some of that may depend on the viability of the Reds Hall of Fame Grill. I loved the place when I ate there, just don't know if they're getting their expected (or better) return on investment or not. I certainly hope so, I'd love to some a few more things spread across the park like that.

You had me at Shmidt's, you had me at Shmidt's. :lol:

• Like 4

I think the big tables make it feel similar to a German style restaurant. I love the idea of Schmidts, Morelein, or even Hoffbrauhouse. Something German would fit perfect in the German building.

As for the front gate, what about a family steak house open to the public and the park guests? Revenue all year round? Work with a local steak guy, such as Jimmy G or Jeff Ruby? Imagine going to eat at KI, the price of parking could be used as a "coupon" towards the meal for guests.

If I am not mistaken, there is not a great steak house out near mason, it could be done very well and attract a great number of guests. Imagine eating and over looking the park in the middle of December?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

^ Outback Steakhouse is just north of the park, near Exit 25. I've eaten there several times. I do like the idea of a restaurant at the front gate open year round, though imagining the prices for steak at an amusement park is a bit scary...

• Like 2

I think I've said this before on here, but #yolo.

• Throw out Oktoberfest as a themed area (let's face it, it's seen better days and basically exists only on the map) and make what currently is Oktoberfest part of International Street, or call it International Festival like Canada's Wonderland has.
  • Panda Express and LaRosa's stay in Festhaus, but the stage doesn't. Sorry, I don't like trying to shout over One Direction while ordering food or trying to eat.
  • Add two new "international" food options to Festhaus.
  • Burn the current tables and benches in a bonfire and replace them with small tables like the other restaurants in the park.
  • Redecorate and repaint the inside to look bright and cheery, not dark like it does currently.
Edit: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/28619-oktoberfest-through-the-years/?p=577324

Before they do any of that, they need to put some air wicks in the building to get rid of the awful smell.

I would like to see some home style cooking. Some mashed potatoes and gravy served with veggies, corn bread, grilled chicken or fried, and sliced thin steak as the two main course options. Finish it with a dessert, choosing from a bowl of blue/Banshee Twist ice cream, or a nice chocolate dessert. Family style "free refills" on drinks and food, at $20-25 a person kids, $10.

If they want to avoid the German theming in the Festhaus, I feel this wouldn't be a bad thing to try in their then, scatter all other restaurants in their threw out the park. Or build a new building back in Rivertown area for such eatery. Or maybe a more odd thing would be try The Crypt building?

• Like 3

^ Outback Steakhouse is just north of the park, near Exit 25. I've eaten there several times. I do like the idea of a restaurant at the front gate open year round, though imagining the prices for steak at an amusement park is a bit scary...

I believe "great" was the key word in his phrase. I enjoy Outback, especially their fish, but The Precinct it is most definently not.

• Like 2

Since Kings Island already has a large investment in the Reds Hall Of Fame Grille, I don't see Chickie's and Pete's opening a sports bar there. (The page that upstop linked mentions limited-menu locations at water parks; perhaps we'll get a quick-service variant.)

A wider menu variety, especially with more helpful options, would be especially appreciated when walking around all day in hot weather. Burgers, deep-fried items, burritos, Skyline Chili, and cheese/pepperoni pizza don't always cut it. I hope that the next addition isn't (just) CrabFries and (more) deep-fried chicken.

I echo what others have said about a lack of inspiration at the Festhaus. I wouldn't mind keeping pizza at that food counter, but there should be other fresh choices. Get rid of the pre-made chicken fingers, fries, etc; perhaps add soup, a premium salad, vegetables, and meat dish(es) that aren't deep fried. Individual preparation or too much variety wouldn't work well there, however, as the Festhaus attracts a lot of people with a relatively small food service area.

Another sit-down restaurant, ideally in the International Restaurant space, would also be much appreciated. The profit margin on food is likely to be much lower than at quick service locations, but a significant subset of customers prefer that dining be an experience. I know that my family made fewer trips to Kings Island after the International Restaurant closed in the late 1990s. Thankfully, the "people gotta eat" mentality is gone.

By the way, I'd really like to be able to order more halibut tacos somewhere at Kings Island. Those were excellent.

• Like 4

I wish the smoothie stand by Backlot's helix were open more. I'm a big fan of them on hot days, or at least have some stand that's open all the time sell them. A sea food stand would also be nice.

Also, quick question- what food was sold at the International Street restaurant?

One thing I think would be fun is to change/expand the Juke Box Diner into an actual 50s style sit down diner.

...with roller skating car hops and juke box machines at each table? Maybe it could include a small stage for a doo whop band?

Personally, I'd like to see a Barbecue (rib, steak, chicken) restaurant in Rivertown.

• Like 6

Right now, I would be satisfied if the Reds Grille would offer their ribs as a half rack in addition to the full rack. I love ribs and want to try the ones at the Reds Grille, but I cannot eat a full rack and refuse to pay $23 for a full rack when I will barely be able to eat half of the rack and the other half will go to waste. They need to understand that not everybody has an appetite the size of the moon.

• Like 7