New Haunt attraction near The Beast this year?

Guest dtk1376

I like Screamscape. It's not perfect by any means. Most of the news can be found on other sites earlier and yes there's some revisionist history but I appreciate it as a one stop place to catch the headlines and rumor topics. I know a lot of work has to go in it and I appreciate the effort that goes into it.

• Like 3

So back on topic, has there been any consideration that this new Haunt might be named Fury or Fury in the Woods? Just some thoughts. Also am I correct a 5,000 sq foot building at a price of $250,000. That is a rather large investment for haunt for a single attraction.

After falling down the rabbit hole last night, looking what trademarks Cedar Fair has filed (and some surprising ones it hasn't) I would be exceedingly surprised if any of their recent filings are about Haunt attractions. Registering trademarks takes money, and I doubt they are going to be making enough (any?) merchandise for a single Haunt maze to make it worth their while.

• Like 2

Besides, I'm not sure how interesting a blueprint of a haunt maze structure could possibly be.

Unless you're interested in the layout of the maze, the dimensions of the building, or ways of ingress and egress - a copy of this could be a rather boring purchase. Especially since you wouldn't have permission to make further copies.

To a haunted attraction enthusiast, like myself, this would be very interesting. Just as coaster enthusiasts, like myself, would find blueprints for a new coaster interesting.

We'll know soon enough what will and will not be. But everyone please keep speculating... it makes for interesting reading and is a great source of amusement!

(I just love this time of year, comparing everyone's thoughts to rumors I may have heard, and shortly, to facts that I will soon be privy to but will not leak before their time... so don't even ask! :lol:)

• Like 3

So back on topic, has there been any consideration that this new Haunt might be named Fury or Fury in the Woods? Just some thoughts. Also am I correct a 5,000 sq foot building at a price of $250,000. That is a rather large investment for haunt for a single attraction.

Maybe if they are going with a beast theme they are going to keep this one open year round!

We want theming, and when we get theming, we crab about it.

Some customers skip Haunt years if the mazes are the same, fresh mazes bring in people, even if it's pass holders, we buy food, souvenirs etc..

If it is a Haunt, then it'll thin the line for other Haunts, people's memories will be more positive than if they spend half the night waiting in line, and they'll return for more Haunt. I didn't even go through the two new Haunts, the lines were too long.

This event brings in the dough, look at the crowds, and what they are carrying. You can't walk two feet without seen a teenager swamped with glow in the dark trinkets.

Besides, it'll be used for park purposes during the year, like storing game prizes. The basketball hoop stand has some big items that can't be left out overnight. Speaking of prizes and theming, how about some gators and voodoo prizes for the games, to keep the Rivertown vibe? One game had donuts as prizes. Who wants a stuffed donut?

• Like 5

Haha!

Opening day, there was this poor girl that was barking for people to play a game, and all they gave her as prizes were hokey stuffed donuts.

She was doing her grandest, but the people didn't want that prize. The basketball booth was doing whizbang business, so it wasn't that no one wanted to play the games, and it wasn't that the donut barker was lousy, she just got a bum rap with her prize offering.

If she had more appealing prizes that would appeal to teens today, she could've done much better. Rivertown isn't supposed to be spooky, but voodoo themed prizes would work in that area, as would snakes, gaters, even the skeleton themed teddies. Anything but donuts

• Like 2

Besides, no one was talking about Columbus U.

Terp, who knows Columbus is a town in Georgia.

As a Graduate of the fine City of Athens.... Ohio U or OhioU or Ohiou should never ever ever be confused with the Script Ohio Thieves..... :) Seriously look it up Script Ohio started at OU but OSU does do it better...

• Like 2

We want theming, and when we get theming, we crab about it.

Some customers skip Haunt years if the mazes are the same, fresh mazes bring in people, even if it's pass holders, we buy food, souvenirs etc..

If it is a Haunt, then it'll thin the line for other Haunts, people's memories will be more positive than if they spend half the night waiting in line, and they'll return for more Haunt. I didn't even go through the two new Haunts, the lines were too long.

This event brings in the dough, look at the crowds, and what they are carrying. You can't walk two feet without seen a teenager swamped with glow in the dark trinkets.

Besides, it'll be used for park purposes during the year, like storing game prizes. The basketball hoop stand has some big items that can't be left out overnight. Speaking of prizes and theming, how about some gators and voodoo prizes for the games, to keep the Rivertown vibe? One game had donuts as prizes. Who wants a stuffed donut?

I would want a stuffed donut. It would go along great next to the stuffed hotdog I have that my mom won at the park in the 70s.
  • Like 3

Fortunately, there is no such confusion in the Bluegrass State.

One either sees blue...or red...or maroon...

No one ever confuses UK for KU, or vice versa.

Unrelated, but that reminds me of a fun fact: the full name for the university most commonly known by the abbreviation KU actually has the proper name of The University of Kansas, not Kansas University as one might think. Same goes for The University of Missouri, which goes by MU, and I believe a few others.
  • Like 1

Stopped by for an hour this evening to check out the construction...sorry no pictures....however, judging from what has been dug out and leveled so far, this "Haunt" appears to be 20 to 30 percent larger than any of the current haunt buildings.

Question....if this haunt were to be a "pay to play" experience like some other parks have been experimenting with the past couple of years, where either you go alone or with your group for a personalized experience....

A, Do you think the GP would go for it?

B. Would you go for it?

Also, there are several stakes in the ground between The Beast and Vortex too....four white, two orange and one green as far as I could see through the fence.

• Like 1

Question....if this haunt were to be a "pay to play" experience like some other parks have been experimenting with the past couple of years, where either you go alone or with your group for a personalized experience....

B. Would you go for it?

For both A and B, depends on the style of haunt and the price. I, for one, would be interested to see if they can actually, truly scare me, since the regular haunts don't really do that. I might get startled for a moment when someone pops out where I wasn't expecting them, but I'm talking about the continuous full-fledged fear where you're afraid to even walk around the corner. I haven't experienced that.

• Like 1

Granted I haven't done any sort of haunted attraction in years, but I generally don't enjoy them.

I love horror movies, but not slashers. Too often, like a slasher movie, haunted houses go for the easy startle. I would love something that goes for the deeper fear that comes from atmospheric creepiness, feeling more like a psychological thriller. I'm not sure how it could be accomplished, unfortunately.

I probably wouldn't pay an up charge. I also don't think the general public is likely to latch onto it much either.

• Like 2

^^^ LOL! Actually, since there's no SIX park close enough to me for a day trip, it would be part of an overnight trip, which I always budget for months in advance. So it wouldn't be that scary, just might mean that my hotel won't be as nice.

• Like 1

B. Would you go for it?

A few Cedar Fair parks sold "skeleton key" passes last year, either with Fright Lane or separately. For an upcharge guests received an extra scare room, perhaps with more individual attention than possible with the large crowds in standard queues.

If KI's GP would pay $5 to be locked in a box on International Street, I don't see why they wouldn't go for this sort of upcharge as well.

I might do it once, if it wasn't expensive and I was with others who wanted to do it. Then there's this other member who would sooner marathon RFYLCB all day long.

• Like 4

Granted I haven't done any sort of haunted attraction in years, but I generally don't enjoy them.

I love horror movies, but not slashers. Too often, like a slasher movie, haunted houses go for the easy startle. I would love something that goes for the deeper fear that comes from atmospheric creepiness, feeling more like a psychological thriller. I'm not sure how it could be accomplished, unfortunately.

I probably wouldn't pay an up charge. I also don't think the general public is likely to latch onto it much either.

You want atmosphere? Halloween Horror Nights has lots of atmosphere in their houses. My favorite of all time was a haunt that was supposed to be through a Victorian Grave yard in the winter. It took place in a soundstage.....dark.....mausoleum.....and super cold and yes falling snow throughout the exhibit! At one point they had an open grave just beyond a fence. Someone on a bungee flew out of the open grave to the edge of the walking line and back into the hole....super scary special effect.

• Like 2