Holiday World advice/tips

I am currently planning a possible trip to Holiday World for the "Rock The World" Christian Music Festival in late August.

After some research and such, here is my current plan (again, this is still in the planning stages - nothing will be purchased or booked until much closer to the date I plan to visit...):

Leave here early Saturday morning (8:30-9am Eastern probably), arriving at Holiday World around 10 or 10:30 Central (I'm a little over 2 1/2 hours from the park). Spend all day at the park Saturday, spend the night, drive back sometime Sunday.

I will likely be staying at the Motel 6 in Dale as it's 10 minutes from the park and $60 a night.

However, having never been to Holiday World before, I have a couple questions:

One day or two? I want to do as much as possible (including both water coasters and possibly the log flume and rapids rides as well, though that's about it as far as the water park goes). Can I realistically cram most of the park into a 9-hour day, even with the larger crowds that will likely be there that day?

What are some of the "must do" attractions besides the roller coasters and water rides that I've already mentioned?

If Mammoth and Wildebeest are all you're looking to do in the waterpark, then your trip is doable in one day. Their waterpark is colossal (even though it may not look so from the road or from the dry park) and could be a two-day trip unto itself if it's super busy.

In my personal experience, it seems like the coasters are somewhat temperamental when it comes to operating temperature. Early and late in the season, when the weather is cool, the rides are very smooth. Extremely hot days (90+) have historically provided my worst/roughest rides on their coasters. I personally don't mind reasonably rough coasters and think all three rides are fantastic (a rough Voyage is still better than a smooth Beast to me), but I think it ought to be noted that rough coaster rides can and do happen at Holiday World. If you ask me, the only place to experience all three wooden coasters is the last row, but it's all about what you're into.

• Like 3

Don't be afraid to name Raven or Legend your favorite there. Voyage is insane but for me Legend was my favorite there. Eating at the park is cost effective. Plymouth Rock Cafe for homestyle eating, Kringles for a more traditional park food. If you need discount tickets drive just past the park and visit Santas Candy Castle and get the Avalanche while your there. Just something amazingly delicious about frozen hot chocolate.

• Like 6

Here's the best advice your going to get when it comes to getting the most out of your day at HW.

Get to the park at opening, don't waste any time and get down the hill to the Thanksgiving section, ride all the rides in that section before Splashin' Safari opens (if you have time). Then hurry and go to SS and get your locker and swimwear and stuff ready before they open up the slides. As soon as they drop the rope, walk very briskly towards Mammoth and ride it. It's the best ride in the water park and also has the longest lines. After Mammoth, I recommend Wildebeest. And then just cycle around the water park. Since most people will be wanting to hit Mammoth first, the lines for other slides should be short. Then I would hit all the other slides you wish to ride. When your done at the water park, it should be the hotter portion of the day. This means that most of the GP will be wanting to go to the water park to cool off. Thus, dry side should be fairly short as far as lines go.

So in a nutshell, Thanksgiving has short lines early. Mammoth is great, but long lines make it necessary to beat the crowds. So hit water park when it opens. And dry side has short lines around the middle of the day.

I really hope that made sense. But that is how I beat the crowds during the busiest of days and it is nearly fool proof if the weather is nice.

• Like 2

I am hoping to get to the park within 30 minutes of the time they open. Since the park isn't open Friday night I'll be saving money by just driving out there early Saturday morning instead of Friday night as I had originally planned. I'm not too interested in discount tickets unless they can be obtained for less than $35 (the park has a combined festival/admission ticket for $65 on their website and the festival is $30 if you already have park admission).

• Like 1

Given that it's 1) a summer Saturday, 2) a Saturday with a special event, and 3) your first time there, I would recommend two days to ensure that you not only have time to ride everything, but also to re-ride your favorites (because you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get the chance to do so; they're that good).

The waterpark is far more than just Wildebeest and Mammoth; the other slides are well worth riding as well, so don't miss them. I prefer all three woodies in the back seat, but the front is worth trying also on all three. Don't miss Mayflower; the back row on each side gives a pretty good pop of airtime at the top of the swing. FOFreak above has the best advice on avoiding lines: Thanksgiving at rope drop, waterpark as soon as it opens, everything else in the heat of the afternoon.

As for drive time, don't forget that there is some massive construction going on at Spaghetti Junction (Interstates 64, 65, and 71) in Louisville. AFAIK this is a long-term project that will still be underway in August. Assuming that it is, be prepared for delays and the possibility of ramp closures, no matter the day or time of day.

• Like 1

Even with construction, I'll still want to leave Saturday to save the extra $67 in hotel costs from staying another night. Hopefully between Saturday and Sunday I'll be able to do everything I want. What kind of a discount would I be able to get on a two-day ticket? AAA doesn't sell them and festival + two day admission is $92 through the park's website.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

I have no clue on regular discounted tickets. All of my visits have been done on a HoliWood Nights ticket, a season pass, or the free ticket last week. However, if you're a member of an approved partner enthusiast club then you can get a one-day ticket for $32 at the gate, which is the best price you will find anywhere. Next Day tickets can be purchased at Guest Services before you leave the park the previous day, and are $27 IIRC (don't quote me on that price). Together, that would be $59 + $30 for the festival = $89 total, a savings of three bucks.

And by "delays", I meant on the order of 10 to 20 minutes, not hours. There shouldn't be a problem with leaving Saturday morning, as long as you're aware that it may take you slightly longer than you planned.

Hmm...well, to give you some idea of what to expect at Holiday World, I think this picture I found on the interwebs back from 2012 does a pretty good job of showcasing most of what they have...it's also very large and high-res, and taken from a Helicopter. (I went ahead and didn't post the image directly for those with lower bandwith...)

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/McSalsa/ParkAerial_zps0be3352a.jpg~original

OK- and there have obviously been some changes since this picture was taken, since this was in 2012...
#1- The small white and blue water slides and lazy river near the waterpark entrance were removed to make way for a new, bigger & better waterpark entrance in 2013 as well as a new first aid building. Ready for a mind-blow? That was pretty much the whole waterpark back in 1994, replaced just for a new entrance in 2013!

#2- Hyena Falls, a 4-slide tower complex, opened past Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica as well in 2013. It has 3 "standard" tube slides, but then there is a 4th, massive slide with a unique half pipe element that is very fun.

#3- Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica is gone, but you can't see it's tower structure here anyway...so it really doesn't matter much now.

#4- Obviously, Mayflower is not in this picture, but according to the park map it's next to where PP/Giraffica once was.

Oh, and to put the sheer size of some of those waterslides into perspective- The Legend (middle wooden coaster) stands 99 feet high with a 113 foot drop, and the spiral drop towards the back of the out-and-back section is 77 feet or so. Notice how ZOOMbabwe (Big Purple One) towers above most (maybe even all) of Legend? Yeah, it's 100+ feet and apparently still the world's tallest raft slide. Zinga, Jungle Racer, Bakuli, and the water coasters are also no slouches. Hyena Falls' biggest slide, which isn't pictured due to the date, is around the same size as Zinga. Yeah- Holiday World has plenty of massive water slides.

Hoping this picture helps, if it can. Have a fun trip...oh who am I kidding, it's Holiday World, of course it'll be fun...

• Like 2

FUN may be headquartered in Sandusky, but Santa Claus does a better job of it. :)

And yes, the water slides are massive, and some are just as good as the water coasters. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the good rides in the waterpark stop with Wildebeest and Mammoth. There are plenty of other incredible slides at the waterpark.

• Like 3

If Mammoth and Wildebeest are all you're looking to do in the waterpark, then your trip is doable in one day. Their waterpark is colossal (even though it may not look so from the road or from the dry park) and could be a two-day trip unto itself if it's super busy.

In my personal experience, it seems like the coasters are somewhat temperamental when it comes to operating temperature. Early and late in the season, when the weather is cool, the rides are very smooth. Extremely hot days (90+) have historically provided my worst/roughest rides on their coasters. I personally don't mind reasonably rough coasters and think all three rides are fantastic (a rough Voyage is still better than a smooth Beast to me), but I think it ought to be noted that rough coaster rides can and do happen at Holiday World. If you ask me, the only place to experience all three wooden coasters is the last row, but it's all about what you're into.

To be honest, I kind of noticed the thing about wooden coasters and temperatures too- as I think back to my best rides ever on Beast (my most ridden of all coasters), I noticed the best ones usually came at night when it cooler or in the fall (Halloween Haunt 2010 is still my best-ever ride on any coaster ever). My last visit to KI- on May 13th- it was pretty hot (around 85 or so) and Beast didn't feel as fast as usual, though it wasn't too rough at all, but I also rode Racer and it was riding like junk (rough and much less-than-usual airtime). Meanwhile the steel coasters rode great...

And I do think this may be what also caused my rides on Holiday World's wooden coasters back in 2011 to be less-than-stellar (aka the "No Airtime whatsoever save one spot on Legend" rides) compared to my 2010 rides and 2013 rides (I've been 3 times). It was quite hot, and in August, while the other visits were in May & Early June- pretty warm, but not as warm as August. Too bad Holiday World doesn't have any steel coasters for comparison...well, save Howler.

• Like 1

Festival.

Already limited hotel/motel rooms.

I'd reserve NOW.

Or be prepared to drive a long ways or home.

Did I say I?

*I* stay in Corydon. But normal people don't do that.

Actually, these days, I stay in Birmingham when I go to Koch World.

I will definitely consider it, since I'll always be able to cancel my reservation if I can't make it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got the hotel booked. I've got until 4pm on August 23rd (the day I plan to arrive) to cancel it, so that gives me plenty of time.

Also, on a related note, AAA.com says the tax rate there is 11%. Sounds like the county and/or the city of Dale are taking advantage of Holiday World's tourist draw.