High Fives in Queue Lines

markr

Well, here is another inconsequential topic I am starting.

Does anyone notice when you are waiting in ride lines, strangers keep wanting to high five you?

Well, I have a message for all of you well meaning people who want to high five me: Please do not be offended if I decline your offer but hand contact is a common way to spread germs. I do not know where your hands have been so I do not wish to take a chance at being infected with something.

Would love to hear your two cents ( or in Terpie's case, nickels) on this subject.

• Like 2

I just make an obvious point of ignoring them as I pass, usually leaning away from them to make it abundantly clear that I want nothing to do with them.

And for me it has nothing to do with germs; rather, it's simply that these people are trying to high-five random strangers for absolutely no reason, and I find that creepy.

• Like 4

I don't have an issue with the germs. After all, I'm about to ride a coaster and I can't imagine many things more germ-infested than the restraints on a Roller Coaster.

However, I do find it a bit odd that they want to high-five strangers, and I typically don't accept their offer of a high-five. Now, on KIC day when there were a train's worth of us in line together, different story. We were all high-fiving fiends as we navigated the switchbacks that day.

• Like 6

I hope I don't encounter this. The idea makes me panic a little for a few different reasons. For example, I don't want to make someone mad by declining their offer, or look stuck up. I would just rather pretend everyone else in line isn't there while I wait to get my adrenaline fix. Also germs... but if I am feeling sociable that day, I may deflect it into a fistbump or something that doesn't involve as much contact.

• Like 1

This is a weird thing to get worked up about. The high-fivers seem to be large groups who sometimes extend the gesture beyond their friends.

You don't have to high-five back when this happens, even though some guests apparently choose to do so. No one is going to be offended because you are minding your own business.

As for germs, hopefully you are washing your hands (or at least using one of the hand sanitizer dispensers) before eating. Like homestar92, I would be more worried about the ride restraints, which have been touched by many hands before yours.

• Like 5

I have my issues with personal space and touching people so I typically decline the high five. I do however smile and say something to them. My daughter knows of my issues and will high five for me. I think it's okay though. It's mostly kids getting pumped up, excited and having fun. I'd rather them do this than screaming and yelling in line.

What bothers me more is those that use horrible language, usually preteens, and bounce around bumping into every freaking person in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I high five them then make a comment I hope you have washed your hands. Sometimes they respond usually with a no so I simply tell them I did not either.

I really don't have a problem with it though. They are kids just being kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

People in the Midwest are so "about themselves" that the idea of interacting with strangers sends them to near panic if not pure aggression! I am not saying this is true for everyone ( I will assume these people starting this "high five" business are Midwestern folk ) but hey. Nothing wrong with a little friendly harmless interaction. When you step away from the Midwest for awhile, you see that there are regions and places where people are far more friendly and strangers will talk to you and shoot the breeze or wave a hand or what have you.

I just say, loosen up and have fun. If you are that afraid of germs I suggest you get a bubble.

Unless that person wanting to high five specifically has something suspicious on their hands, I would not mind the friendly playful gesture that steps away from the stuffy Midwestern atmosphere.

• Like 4

Wow, did not expect this topic to get so much response-am enjoying reading them. Jcgoble3 brought up an excellant point. In today's dangerous world I think it is especially important for children to be weary of any kind of contact with strangers.

• Like 3

If they aren't being dicks (and I know everyone has encountered teens before who are clearly looking to cause trouble through "harmless" interaction, thankfully those are by far the minority) I don't see anything wrong with returning the high-5. I like when people can spread their enthusiasm in such a way. But, perhaps through a combination of my forbidding nature and avoiding going to the park when it's been particularly crowded so far this year, I can't say I've actually encountered someone offering one.

I don't see anything wrong with someone choosing not to go along with it though. Physical contact, and our responses to it are a very personal thing.

• Like 1

People in the Midwest are so "about themselves" that the idea of interacting with strangers sends them to near panic if not pure aggression! I am not saying this is true for everyone ( I will assume these people starting this "high five" business are Midwestern folk ) but hey. Nothing wrong with a little friendly harmless interaction. When you step away from the Midwest for awhile, you see that there are regions and places where people are far more friendly and strangers will talk to you and shoot the breeze or wave a hand or what have you.

I just say, loosen up and have fun. If you are that afraid of germs I suggest you get a bubble.

Unless that person wanting to high five specifically has something suspicious on their hands, I would not mind the friendly playful gesture that steps away from the stuffy Midwestern atmosphere.

Really? Midwest stuffy? Try Atlanta or the Northeast. Or even Los Angeles. That's stuffy.

Try open social interaction with random strangers in New England. Let me know how THAT goes. B)

• Like 6

I 100% of the time high five them back.

I look at it as its not harming anything, its actually probably making their day.

The whole germ thing cracks me up, you wouldn't be at KI let alone in public if you seriously had that much of a problem with germs.

• Like 6

Wow, all this talk of personal space, germs etc is cracking me up. How do you people make friends? You are in a theme park with hundreds if not thousands of others. Common sense should tell you that to expect some sort of interaction with strangers. If one wants to hunker down in fear, more power to em. I prefer to say "hey" than be stuffy.

This is coming from an introvert that highly prefers to be alone. I have learned to lock those feelings away and actually enjoy myself at parks. It is one of the reasons I go.

• Like 5

Germs are everywhere. You can't avoid them unless you are in a plastic bubble. Just take the necessary precautions to prevent your own contact. Don't touch your eyes, face, mouth or privates without pre-sanitation with sanitizer. Be courteous of others as well. Cover your mouth when sneezing and for gosh sakes don't spit anywhere...at all...or as I saw yesterday...dont blow your nose....directly onto the ground...uber gross.

• Like 5

meh, we're all humans looking to have fun.

Please have your fun in a way that is not creepy for me.
My fun is riding coasters and going to KI with friends.

if that's your creepy, then you're on the wrong site Bud.

You missed my meanings. Plural.

oh i saw them, i chose just to aknowledge one for an ad hominem.

I don't care if someone tries to h-5, but i don't do it to strangers, that's plain weird.

• Like 1

Meanings of that post, that I really shouldn't have to explain:

1. General statement that high-fiving, or trying to high-five, random strangers is not "fun", but rather "creepy". This meaning was NOT directed at you specifically, unlike the second one.

2. When you "ride coasters and go to KI with friends", it would be appreciated if you would introduce yourself openly at that time if you're with people that know you online but don't know you in person. Hanging around the group, denying your real identity, and knowingly riding next to someone you know online without telling them who you are, only to reveal later online that that was you after all, is "creepy". Hence, "have your fun in a way that is not creepy."

• Like 4

Really? Midwest stuffy? Try Atlanta or the Northeast. Or even Los Angeles. That's stuffy.

Try open social interaction with random strangers in New England. Let me know how THAT goes. B)

I was going to say something like this, too. I've found the Midwest to be one of the friendlier areas in the country that I've been to, with the South being the only friendlier area I can think of right now. (Of course, I'm from the Midwest, so perhaps I'm a little biased.) The only exception to this that I've experienced is the western Pennsylvania area, and especially Erie. (No offense, Browntggr!) The times I've visited Erie recently, I think just about everyone I've met has been really unfriendly.

On the subject of high fives in line: one of my friends is a germaphobe, so I understand the aversion to high fiving random strangers. Like others have said, you're going to experience other people's germs at an amusement park whether you want to or not; people touch EVERYTHING there. Think about it. For me, it brightens my day a little to high five people, so I'm always down for a high five if someone offers.

• Like 2

Everyone has their deal, some don't like bugs,heights,elevators, some don't like germs. I'm extremely outgoing and spark conversation with strangers often, yet I'm not big on touching strangers, something about the thought of people wiping their butts and not washing their hands or anything related to that nature makes me grossed out. I also don't touch bathroom doors if possible outside my home knowing half the people don't wash their hands and just had their hand on their- you get the point. If you introduce yourself and offer a handshake I'm not going to deny you or anything awkward, but I do wash my hands regularly and I try not to touch things I know everyone has had their hands on unless necessary. In general, some people are disgusting, and don't understand good hygiene.

• Like 3