Soak City 2014

BB1

What do people do with their money and car keys when visiting a water park? Are the lockers over there pay every time you open them or can you get one for the day? Cuz it would suck to have to pay $2 or whatever every time you wanted to get some cash out to buy something.

I know 20-some years ago (coincidentally the last time I've been to a water park) that they sold little plastic containers with rubber gaskets that you could wear around your neck to carry your money in (because the shops refused wet money). At that time you could wear those on the slides and such, but something (Banshee) tells me they wouldn't allow that kind of thing anymore.

So do you all just rotate things out between the people you're with? Am I missing some other obvious answer?

Really, the "what do I do with my crap so it doesn't get stolen" is the third major reason I don't like water parks, behind wearing contacts (not as much of an issue anymore since I wear two week disposables so it doesn't cost $70 to replace a single lost contact), and propensity to sunburn.

• Like 1

^^^ The small lockers at Soak City are $12/day for unlimited access throughout the day. Neither hourly nor single-entry lockers are available in the waterpark.

Those little containers are still available as of last season in the gift shop next to the Soak City gate. If you can't find them, ask an employee for the "beach safes". I think they were about $5; not sure on that. They can be stored in a front or side pocket on the slides, but not back pocket on the body slides; not sure about wearing it around your neck.

As for what I do with my stuff, I get there early enough to be able to park as close to the Soak City gate as possible and then use the trunk of my car as a locker. I enter with my pass, then immediately get my hand stamped, turn around, and put EVERYTHING in my trunk. I carry nothing in the waterpark except my swim trunks and a single spare car key tied to the drawstring of my trunks. This obviously precludes early entry because you will not have your Gold Pass on you to show for early entry, but if you avoid weekends and intend to spend your time riding instead of relaxing, it makes little difference as the only thing you lose out on is getting in line for one attraction early. Morning crowds on weekdays are very light compared to mid-afternoon; the masses begin showing up between noon and 2pm. If you get there early enough, trekking out to your car for money to buy lunch with is not difficult as you can park much closer to the Soak City gate than you can the main gate, and without needing to pay for preferred parking.

• Like 2

So far, I have only tried it at KI, CP, and The Beach, with no problems (it's not possible at HW as waterpark access is only through the dry park, necessitating a place to store shirt and shoes once in the waterpark). Were I to visit a waterpark in a... less safe area, I would be conscious of that and would probably pay for a locker, no matter the cost.

It helps that I drive an 11-year-old car worth less than $3,000, the type of car that the majority of parking lot thieves wouldn't give a second glance to. Even if they see me putting stuff in my trunk, the only thing of potential value they'll see is my wallet, and the age and condition of the car doesn't really suggest that I have a lot of money (on the contrary, they're unlikely to get more than $100 in cash, and I don't usually carry my credit or debit card to KI; the vehicle damage from forced entry would be more than the value of stolen stuff). Of course, that doesn't mean it won't happen, but it's not as likely as if I'm driving a brand-new Lexus.

• Like 4

So far, I have only tried it at KI, CP, and The Beach, with no problems (it's not possible at HW as waterpark access is only through the dry park, necessitating a place to store shirt and shoes once in the waterpark). Were I to visit a waterpark in a... less safe area, I would be conscious of that and would probably pay for a locker, no matter the cost.

It helps that I drive an 11-year-old car worth less than $3,000, the type of car that the majority of parking lot thieves wouldn't give a second glance to. Even if they see me putting stuff in my trunk, the only thing of potential value they'll see is my wallet, and the age and condition of the car doesn't really suggest that I have a lot of money (on the contrary, they're unlikely to get more than $100 in cash, and I don't usually carry my credit or debit card to KI; the vehicle damage from forced entry would be more than the value of stolen stuff). Of course, that doesn't mean it won't happen, but it's not as likely as if I'm driving a brand-new Lexus.

My dad drove an old Reliant "K" car when I was younger. It got us from point "A" to point "B",and that's all that mattered. Had it parked at his work one day and somebody broke out the back window to steal a 12 pack of Pepsi. Had they tried the door, they would have realized it was unlocked. Driving a beater doesn't make you any less of a target.

• Like 4

It is apparently a cut throat sport trying to secure a chair in the shade when they drop the rope. I've never been at the water park that early so it was interesting. We left already. It was crowded but I didn't mind that. The water was still a bit too cold for the baby. Based on cars in the parking lot I would not want to be on the dry side of the park.

Also small side note id imagine someone got fired from Taco Bell this morning. We were there at 10am and it was not open. A lady which seemed to be a regional manager told us it was closed and would take whoever they were waiting on at least thirty minutes to get things.she was not pleased. She mentioned that it was supposed to be open.

• Like 5