Traffic alert: I-71 at Jeremiah Morrow Bridge

malem

I-71 will be closed in both directions at the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge (mile marker 34, in Warren County) on Sunday, June 1, 2014 (tomorrow) from 5:00am through as late as 10:00am. Those approaching Kings Island from the north may need to take an alternate route.

The best way to get to the park will be via the posted detour. Those familiar with the area could continue on OH-48 past I-71 to Mason Rd.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D08/Newsreleases/Pages/I-71-detour-scheduled-for-Sunday,-June-1.aspx

• Like 7

It is only closed this Sunday, and only between those hours.

The informational signs said that it would be closed until 9:30am. ODOT's website says 10. Hopefully they finish early, but allowing extra time (and taking the detour if required) would be well-advised for affected park visitors & employees.

^ That could have been worded better. The remaining two spans of the (original) northbound bridge were demolished. Other spans of that bridge were demolished a few weeks ago.

All spans of the original southbound bridge are standing and are in current use. The new (and completed) southbound bridge is temporarily serving as the northbound bridge, while the new northbound bridge is constructed in place of the one that was just demolished.

• Like 1

^ That could have been worded better. The remaining two spans of the (original) northbound bridge were demolished. Other spans of that bridge were demolished a few weeks ago.

The problem is they're saying the spans "was" demolished instead of "were" demolished. Again, I realize Dayton isn't a huge news market, but you'd still think they could catch simple grammatical errors like that.

• Like 3

Looks as though they double jeopardized themselves by releasing this headline "ODOT releases video of tallest bridge demolition" without actually linking the video as well. Its up now though.

Continuing through 2016? Is there just one guy and his dog working on it?

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Per signs on the highway, I-71 will be closed for a period of time this Sunday, April 23, 2017 at the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge. Kings Island is closed for a private event that day.

Demolition work on the original southbound bridge will be concluding.

Here are videos from the 2014 demolition: http://www.omniproservices.com/jeremiah-morrow-bridge-demolition-2014.html

• Like 3

The implosion hit a snag. The closure may be delayed until 12pm per WCPO. About 75% of the span imploded successfully. The charges for the other 25% became disconnected from the igniter causing part of the structure to remain standing. ODOT is working with the demolition team to correct this issue and have the rest of the bridge down in a timely manner.

http://www.wcpo.com/video/live-stream/watch-live-implosion-of-old-jeremiah-morrow-bridge

8 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I wonder if I just heard that all the way up here in Springboro. I heard what sounded like thunder, but there was nothing on the radar when I checked. 

I saw a comment on a Facebook post from someone else who heard the same thing in Springboro. The sound waves would have to travel roughly 12 miles to reach Springboro, and even actual thunder usually doesn't reach that far. Given that I haven't seen any other posts from people in communities in between saying that they also heard it, I'm guessing that the sound you heard was something in or around the Springboro area, not the bridge implosion, and the timing was just a coincidence.

Remember we are talking about sound waves through solid (the ground) not through the air, which don't dissipate as quickly as thunder. I don't think it was the explosives we heard, but when all of that weight hit the ground. There may be something special about the flow of bedrock or other materials within the earth that made this area more likely to hear it, but I've heard reports from a pretty wide area up here, and zero alternatives as to what it may have been. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 3:56 PM, jcgoble3 said:

I saw a comment on a Facebook post from someone else who heard the same thing in Springboro. The sound waves would have to travel roughly 12 miles to reach Springboro, and even actual thunder usually doesn't reach that far. Given that I haven't seen any other posts from people in communities in between saying that they also heard it, I'm guessing that the sound you heard was something in or around the Springboro area, not the bridge implosion, and the timing was just a coincidence.

I live 7.25 miles from Great American Ball Park (as the crow flies) and I can hear the fireworks they set off.

• Like 1

I am more inclined to go with Magenta's theory.  In general they don't use dynamite or C4 like in the movies.   The charges are shaped thermals designed to melt through the steel beams and rebar and don't make a huge boom.  I watched a building implosion once and was very surprised how quite it was.  

• Like 1

I am more inclined to go with Magenta's theory.  In general they don't use dynamite or C4 like in the movies.   The charges are shaped thermals designed to melt through the steel beams and rebar and don't make a huge boom.  I watched a building implosion once and was very surprised how quite it was.  

You are correct. Basically they act as a cutting charge. It slices the steel instantly but in a times order so they can direct the way the structure will fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...