Six Flags Magic Mountain's Colossus closing

One of the most historic operating wooden roller coasters in the country, Colossus, of Six Flags Magic Mountain will be permanently closing on August 16, 2014.

Banners / flags / signs about the closure of the ride have now been posted around the park that look like the one shown below.

2mg1h68.jpg

Photo : ThemeParkReview via Twitter

• Like 1

The recent removals and renovations of wooden coaster at Six Flags reminds me of another string of ride removals at a certain other Amusement Park. Say most every addition at Cedar Point from 1994-2007. While expensive and large additions may add new guests in the short term, alienating loyal fans and customers has never worked for anyone.

• Like 10

I recall hearing two rumors on another website about the future of these coasters.

1. Rocky Mountain will come in and link the two tracks, creating the world's longest roller coaster (~8,600 feet)

2. Rocky Mountain will come in and redo both rides, making one a more "traditional" wooden roller coaster (airtime hill after airtime hill), the other more "twisted", similar to RMC's other attractions. Having two separate, very different tracks would allow the park to count the attraction as two separate coasters, boosting their coaster count even higher.

Of course, it could be neither of the above, and both coasters may be biting the dust for all we know.

A rumor I've heard (taken with a tiny grain of salt) is that RMC will combine both current coaster tracks into one long coaster track, which would result in the world's longest roller coaster (sorry Beat.) Again, I doubt this will happen but knowing Magic Mountain I really wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1

RMC don't make wooden coasters, they make steel coasters that are dressed up as if it were a woodie. Both their Topper track and I-Box is considered steel track. A true wooden coaster does not use steel track, real woodies use laminated wood with mounted flattened steel strips. Unlike Topper track that eliminates the steel strips and laminated layers of wood resulting in a smoother ride, now it may provide somewhat of a wooden coaster feel, but that is due to the steel wheels on the train, replace those with ploys and it will be smooth as glass. Its surprising that they consider such a fraud a wooden coaster..

• Like 8