Adventure Expressions

Now don't get me wrong, I love Adventure Express, but if Kings Island were to decide to tear down a roller coaster not named Backlot Stunt Coaster, I would want it to be Adventure Express...

And here's why:

I don't think the General Public enjoys it much.

Why do I say this?

Well on my most recent rides there has been a common theme:

Ow and Ouch.

But remember I said I love this coaster! Knowing about AE and the snappy transitions, a thrill comes in knowing I must ride it somewhat defensively. ( Similar can be said about Vortex in my opinion. )

The riding technique in which I employ is holding onto the padded hand-rail, make approximately a 45 degree angle with my elbows and lean forward, thus having my upper body act as a shock absorber. Having the quick transitions memorized helps too ;)

Sometimes I wonder, am I morally obligated to tell others about how to properly ride AE? It really is a good coaster, I hope they can enjoy it so it stays at Kings Island.

Other knocks on Adventure Express:

- Tunnels not nearly what they used to be

- Speakers are crackly

- Lift hill to ride just stopping

The fabric making the "stone" beams in the lift hill is shredding with age, making them less than realistic, too.

What's interesting to me is that when I was there on days with a lot of school groups, the lines for most coasters were fairly empty. About the only time I saw a crowd of sixth graders all enter a line together was at Adventure Express.

I definitely think it fills a niche as the coaster for people who aren't really into coasters/don't like heights. Mine train style coasters are the only kind my not-so-crazy-about-heights husband actually enjoys. I've gotten him on other coasters, but the mine ride up at Cedar Point is the only one he's ever gotten off of and turned to me and said "let's ride that again!" I don't think I've had him on AE, but I'm fairly sure he would like it too.

So, if they were to remove Adventure Express, I think they'd lose a lot of the mid-thrill enjoying paying customers. And enjoyment of a mid-thrill level coaster can eventually lead to devotion to high-thrill coasters and bring people back.

My husband and I were just talking tonight about the bad experiences each of us had on The Beastie when we were young. Both of us were terrified by it the first time, and never rode another coaster for years. If it wasn't for happy circumstances that I got sort of peer-pressured into riding every coaster at Cedar Point the summer I turned 13, I probably wouldn't ever have become a coaster enthusiast.

I think it is important to have coasters that are thrilling but not too scary, because otherwise a lot fewer people are likely to grow up to want to ride the terribly expensive big boys.

• Like 15

Well people get off of almost any coaster and can complain of being a bit sore, but I don't think anyone have legit reasons for the removal of the ride.

Crackled speakers: could be fixed

Fabric torn : fixable

Tunnels not as awesome : fix/overhaul but still fixable

Lift hill stoppage: it's part of a blocking scheme

As said above me it fills a nice niche in the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I want to make it entirely clear I wasn't saying the torn fabric makes me want them to tear down the ride. The problems with the theming make me want them to fix the darn theming!

I think it's terribly sad that simple maintenance of any sort of theming seems to be so low on the list of park priorities.

• Like 7

Some seem to be! (i.e. I'd rather ride Magnum XL 200 than Diamondback)

I don't think AE is rough at all, it's aggressive. It's what makes the ride fun without having to have crazy airtime or crazy speed/ height.

--

I wish Adventure Express had more vertical greenery around the outer edges and the last turn around though.. Esp. with the new shiny coaster next door.

• Like 10

I want to make it entirely clear I wasn't saying the torn fabric makes me want them to tear down the ride. The problems with the theming make me want them to fix the darn theming!

I think it's terribly sad that simple maintenance of any sort of theming seems to be so low on the list of park priorities.

I understood that. But it worked well with my

Problem: fix thing I was doing :)

• Like 2

I love AE! I would hate to see it go. I'm sure that there are improvements that can be made but it shouldn't be that hard. I don't think KI plans on building a huge roller coaster next year so this off-season or even that break between the regular season and Haunt to get a few improvements in there.

• Like 3

Like what has been said before, these older steel coasters are going to be rougher then the newer ones. I love the newer steel coasters and the how smooth the run, but I also love the outta of control feeling of the older steel coasters. And I'm one of the few who doesn't think most Arrow Coasters are rough. I love Vortex, Magnum, Adventure Express etc.. Magnum is still my all time Favorite ride at Cedar Point, and Vortex is at Kings Island.

• Like 6

Man, if they were to remove a coaster, I'd personally vote for Firehawk long before either BLSC or AE. I'm not sure they're quite willing to accept what a stinker it is yet, though.

As an enthusiast, I really WANT to like it, and I keep trying occasionally, but it just doesn't do it for me. First, the uncomfortable laying back like I'm at the dentist. Then being held up by my shin bones (ow, ow, ow). Then back to the dentist. There has to be somebody out there that can make some comfortable trains or restraints to make the investment in that ride worthwhile.

• Like 2

Which investment are you speaking ? The close of GL dry side? Purchase of GL? Or the cost to move it?

People still line up for it, it's a unique experience, and no real reason to close or move it as it's not currently a maintence nightmare or in the way

• Like 1

That reminds me of something I seem to vaguely remember from years ago (this is my first summer spending any real time in the park since 15 years ago).

Wasn't there a part where arrows or spears "shot out" of the walls? Is that still there? Is it working and I just haven't noticed? Or am I misremembering?

• Like 3

Terpy has many, many times said his favorite coaster, period, is Maverick, but only in the front row. Favorite wood is El Toro. Favorite classic wood is/was Rolling Thunder. Coaster that loves me most: Volcano: The Blast Coaster. Favorite Arrow mine train: Roadrunner Express, Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

• Like 6

That reminds me of something I seem to vaguely remember from years ago (this is my first summer spending any real time in the park since 15 years ago).

Wasn't there a part where arrows or spears "shot out" of the walls? Is that still there? Is it working and I just haven't noticed? Or am I misremembering?

yes. Before the first lift in the tunnel. There is an adventurer's skeleton and there is at least one arrow working in the tunnel at this time.

• Like 1

I personally like Adventure Express and don't really want to see it go. I think that it's best ridden when sitting in the very back (specifically, the second to last row in the last car) and at night. During the day, Adventure Express is fun, but when the "Now you will pay" audio in the last tunnel doesn't work, the ride seems like it's missing something. At night however, it ride really comes alive and it doesn't matter whether the audio works or not because it's just crazy awesome! :D

• Like 8