Don't Fear the Coaster, Fear the Crowd (Bin Theft)

solitaire

Long story short: I am high-functioning autistic, coaster geek going to Kings Island for the first time and I need your help with planning. I'm travelling from Indy in a group but will be exploring alone. I have no fear of the coasters, just the crowds.

All I am taking into the park is a very small, 8"x7" bag with a thin but strong strap and zipped closure, not packed very full at all. Going to get the all day food deal and I know the locations of the lockers, as well as that I will need one to ride Firehawk, FoF, and Banshee.

However, I am worried about things being stolen out of the temporary bins. If I had my way, I would just take my bag with me as it's comparable in size to a fanny pack and very secure worn crossbody (even under clothes if necessary), but I know this is up to ride op's discretion, especially on rides like Diamondback and the like. Actually, if I had to I could easily sit with it in the small of my back.

What can I expect? Do you think I will be constantly asked to use the bins, or only on specific rides, or not at all? If so, which rides?

Please reply, I'm really anxious about this trip and just want to enjoy KI like normal people do without freaking out. Thanks.

• Like 4

I have my waist belt which is a little smaller than a fanny pack and have not problem. But mine is worn like a belt, so I am able to ride everything with it on. I used to have a bigger one that I never had a problem with except Banshee and Firehawk. Just depends. If it's exposed, I'm sure something would be said.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 1

Or if you are able, wear cargo shorts/pants so that way you do not have to worry about a bag at all or locker situations with certain rides ( such as above mentioned, Banshee and Firehawk ).

If you are unable to wear cargo shorts/pants, your bag should be fine as above poster mentioned.

• Like 5

Actually I looked around for cargo shorts, and was unable to find any, much to my surprise! I even found some shorts that were made to look like cargo shorts but were non-functional. *eyeroll* It's probably because I'm a woman and quite small or else I would just buy a pair of men's shorts. Oh well.

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better, most bins are now locked with a key.

That does indeed make me feel better. Hopefully, as long I am vigilant, I won't have to hurt anyone. That's what thieves don't realize about stealing from paranoid/scared people. We have a lot of tension to work out if we catch you...

• Like 1

YEa they're pretty secure. Haven't really heard of stuff getting taken, and as others said most are locked now.

As for taking it on rides I'm not sure how strict they are now but in the past I have sometimes taken a small bag with me and just taken it on with me and put my leg through the straps to keep it from flying out.

The men's cargo shorts I bought this season were my best investment in a long time. I like to keep my stuff "on me" rather than putting it anywhere I can't watch, too.

I was a little worried about the lower crotch situation in men's pants (had trouble with men's sweatpants I bought on clearance once), but the ones I got are totally fine.

Old Navy is where I got mine and they have a lot of selection: different styles, types of fabric, and colors. If the men's sizes don't go small enough, try their boys' section. I wear about a medium unisex t-shirt, but have found a boys' x-large fits me as well. So, if you're smaller than me, I'm sure the boys' section will have something large enough to fit. To give you some idea, I'm 5'8", 150 lbs, and the 32" waist men's shorts fit me best. I could have gone a little smaller in the waist, but needed that size for my hips and butt to be comfortable. The men's sizes went down at least to a 28" waist, too.

The saddlebag pockets of men's cargos happen to work a lot better with ride restraints than any of my women's shorts I've tried. Plus, they can really carry quite a bit. Having gone a couple times wearing my new shorts, now, I'm going to be buying at least one more pair because they are working so well.

• Like 6

Welcome to KIC! I am a high-functioning autistic myself (formerly Asperger syndrome), so I completely understand your concerns. :)

As others have said, cargo shorts are your best option if possible, and it is the option I use whenever possible. Go for a button or preferably zipper closure on the pockets, as snaps and especially Velcro are not guaranteed to stay closed during a ride. Normally, I would suggest leaving extra stuff like sunscreen in the car, but since you're coming with a group, you might not have that option.

If you must take a bag, it should be able to ride with you on all coasters except Banshee, Firehawk, Diamondback, and possibly Invertigo. The former two require that you put it in a locker, as you are likely aware already. Diamondback will allow you to bring it in line, but will not allow you to ride with it. If you're concerned about it being stolen from the bins, there are lockers a short distance away next to White Water Canyon's entrance that you can use. Invertigo has no bins, but loose items can simply be placed on the ground by the fence, and since it can only operate one train, nobody else will be walking through the station while you're riding, so they should be safe. Nearest lockers if you're still concerned are at Banshee.

All other coasters, including Flight of Fear, will allow you to carry it on the ride with you. If you can securely close it, I've had success with placing it on the floor of the car and placing my feet through the shoulder straps/drawstrings to prevent it from falling out. I would recommend against riding with the bag on your back, as that can be uncomfortable depending on the position of objects inside the bag.

Flat rides vary on whether you can take it with you or not, but the nature of flat rides means that like Invertigo, no one else will be walking through the "station" while you're riding, so they should be OK. The bag can also ride with you on all water rides, though you'll probably want to find a nearby locker anyway to keep it dry. Banshee's lockers are closest to Congo Falls, and White Water Canyon's lockers are closest to the log flume (and obviously White Water Canyon).

Have fun! :)

• Like 5

Welcome to KIC! I am a high-functioning autistic myself (formerly Asperger syndrome), so I completely understand your concerns. :)

As others have said, cargo shorts are your best option if possible, and it is the option I use whenever possible. Go for a button or preferably zipper closure on the pockets, as snaps and especially Velcro are not guaranteed to stay closed during a ride. Normally, I would suggest leaving extra stuff like sunscreen in the car, but since you're coming with a group, you might not have that option.

If you must take a bag, it should be able to ride with you on all coasters except Banshee, Firehawk, Diamondback, and possibly Invertigo. The former two require that you put it in a locker, as you are likely aware already. Diamondback will allow you to bring it in line, but will not allow you to ride with it. If you're concerned about it being stolen from the bins, there are lockers a short distance away next to White Water Canyon's entrance that you can use. Invertigo has no bins, but loose items can simply be placed on the ground by the fence, and since it can only operate one train, nobody else will be walking through the station while you're riding, so they should be safe. Nearest lockers if you're still concerned are at Banshee.

All other coasters, including Flight of Fear, will allow you to carry it on the ride with you. If you can securely close it, I've had success with placing it on the floor of the car and placing my feet through the shoulder straps/drawstrings to prevent it from falling out. I would recommend against riding with the bag on your back, as that can be uncomfortable depending on the position of objects inside the bag.

Flat rides vary on whether you can take it with you or not, but the nature of flat rides means that like Invertigo, no one else will be walking through the "station" while you're riding, so they should be OK. The bag can also ride with you on all water rides, though you'll probably want to find a nearby locker anyway to keep it dry. Banshee's lockers are closest to Congo Falls, and White Water Canyon's lockers are closest to the log flume (and obviously White Water Canyon).

Have fun! :)

Two quick questions regarding the per hour lockers at Banshee, WWC, and X-base: Can they be opened more than once (Say I rent for four hours but need something for a second after 2 have passed and then leave again), and what's the best way to pay for these locker rentals? Dollar bills? Card?

You might want to check out a sporting goods or outdoors type store for some cargo shorts with zipper pockets. Also, if the bag you are taking isn't waterproof, look at the camping section there for waterproof bags or containers. They work really well and are relatively cheap. Definitely cheaper than a new cell phone.

• Like 2

As BB7 said, the hourly lockers can be opened as often as you want, and you can use either a credit card or dollar bills.

You might want to check out a sporting goods or outdoors type store for some cargo shorts with zipper pockets.

Good point. That's a place I hadn't thought of looking.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

I've never had anyone take my tiny crossbody bag, however one problem I run into a lot is other guests carelessly putting their souvenir cups in the bins. In previous seasons I've set my bag in a puddle of Fanta without realizing, so always double check for soda puddles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4