Six Flags Goliath Station Small Fire

A small fire at Goliath roller coaster at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee was quickly extinguished, according to the amusement park's communications manager.

The fire was on the roof of the Goliath station and caused "minimal damage," according to Six Flags. Park personnel quickly extinguished the fire, officials said, and Gurnee Fire department crews were called to investigate.

No injuries were reported and officials said the fire will not affect the ride's opening. Goliath's initial opening was scheduled for May 24, but was halted due to "delays in the final touches."

Story: http://abc7chicago.com/news/six-flags-goliath-fire-damages-station-roof/98389/

• Like 4

Sorry for the double post, But just remembered that Outlaw Run`s Station caught on fire during construction...

http://www.amusementtoday.com/2013/12/13/minor-fire-at-causes-damage-to-outlaw-runs-station-at-silver-dollar-city/

probably because its one of the only wooden parts of this coaster.. Its bad juju calling a steel coaster a woodie.
  • Like 3

These arguments seem silly to me. By my definition, Goliath is very much steel, Son of Beast was very much wooden, and that's not up for debate. Others disagree.

Not to date myself here, but I suppose it all depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is...

• Like 2

I've given this some thought and did a LOT of research and just looking at how the trains attach to the Topper Track. I'm in the middle of flip flopping and saying Topper Track rides are steel coasters, and here's why.

While there is wood in the track portion, the actual wheels don't touch any wood. The lower layers of wood serve really serve no purpose except perhaps to make the construction cheaper than if it were entirely steel a la Iron Horse. The layer of steel on the top is the only thing the wheels are touching. While wood coasters do have steel plates where all the wheels make contact, they are thin and the wood bending and warping from the weather, wear and tear, etc. still has an affect on the ride experience. That probably is less the case, if at all, with the Topper Track (just guessing here). I've heard recent, although unconfirmed, reports that Guinness is not giving records for the wooden category to Goliath (I have yet to find a source, only going by hearsay at the moment).

I guess the confusion stems from the fact that some existing woodies have had Topper Track renovations which only replaced portions of the track. The one I know for sure is Tremors at Silverwood, which in its current state, most would be still more apt to calling a wooden coaster than the likes of Outlaw Run and Goliath.

• Like 1

Ya'll do realize that when the wooden track under the topper track needs replaced that it will effect the ride and have to be replaced. It is a structural element just like crossties on a railroad track....

Goliath and Outlaw Run are as wooden as The Beast and Racer....