American Idol Experience at Disney’s Hollywood Studios closing in early 2015

Honestly, American Idol is / was a fading show and I honestly could see this coming, in a way.

Improvements have been made to try to boost the number of viewers and ratings in the past couple years but with X-Factor and all of those other new singing and performing shows, American Idol is kind of lost.

(This is coming from someone who watches absolutely no television, and unfortunately folks love to talk to me about television quite a bit <_< )

• Like 5

There is also rumor that the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular might be getting removed around the same time as well. This si still strctly rumor at this point though and only the American Idol Experience has been confirmed as being removed in January.

http://disneyatwork.com/2014/06/american-idol-indiana-jones-epic-stunt-spectacular-closing/

Seeing as these are adjacent locations and both next to the current Star Tours attractions this could potentially see the start of the previously discussed and ruored Star Wars land in Hollywood Studios.

• Like 1

God willing, this is a start of a much-needed foundational renovation for the park.

The era of the "studio" park is over. In a post-Animal-Kingdom world, people are not impressed by boxy showbuildings and facade cutouts, especially not in a premium park. Compounded with Hollywood Studios's lack of attractions, the park really does need a change. Not just new rides, but an identity shift like Universal Studios Florida / Hollywood, which are building hub-and-spoke layouts and themed lands where previously there were none. They're retroactively turning their amusement parks into theme parks.

Disney's Hollywood Studios needs the same. A big tan showbuilding with American Idol next to big tan showbuilding with Toy Story next to a big tan showbuilding with The Little Mermaid... the time for that is passed.

I doodled up a complete renovation of Hollywood Studios that I'll upload here later. I'm pretty proud of it.

• Like 3

American Idol? Karaoke is the LAST thing I want to see anywhere.

Come about 2 PM at Disney's Hollywood Studios, you may be willing to give it a try just to fill up the afternoon.

Weird that, according to the release, last season alone 3 of the 13 finalists were "discovered" at the park.

• Like 1

I was dragged to see this show last time we went to DHS because I was outvoted 2 to 1 by the Gatorettes. It was actually pretty decent, better than some other attractions I've seen in the park (namely Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey and Monster Sound Show). But given the sagging ratings of American Idol, I can't really say that I'm surprised at this announcement. We're planning on going back down in December, so Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl will want to see it again one last time.

I never understood those that say DHS can be done in half a day. Sure, there's not all that many rides, but throw in all the shows, One Man's Dream and The Magic of Disney Animation, we easily fill up a full day there every time. And that's even without seeing Lights Motors Action, something I've wanted to do the past two times but couldn't (the first time due to them re-surfacing the performance area and the second time due to it being cancelled for rain).

• Like 5

Aren't most of the attractions at Universal Florida in said boxy buildings? Transformers, Kong, Mummy, SpiderMan, Despicable Me, ET? Universal cant very well tear those down anytime soon. As for the Idol building at DHS, it was also once the home of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, so times change. I dont see Indy leaving the park. Even on a slow day there last month when I visted, the show still draws large crowds to every performance (and is still a fun show to watch).

• Like 3

^

Gator, When in December? We will be there 12th through the 18th and I just booked ADR's yesterday morning! Can't Wait.

I am one of the few that loves Lights, Motors, Action a must when we visit the Studios. Have never seen American Idol and have no plans on it.

I have heard that American Idol and the Muppets and Honey I Shrunk the Kids will all become part of a much smaller Star Wars Area.

• Like 1

God willing, this is a start of a much-needed foundational renovation for the park.

The era of the "studio" park is over. In a post-Animal-Kingdom world, people are not impressed by boxy showbuildings and facade cutouts, especially not in a premium park. Compounded with Hollywood Studios's lack of attractions, the park really does need a change. Not just new rides, but an identity shift like Universal Studios Florida / Hollywood, which are building hub-and-spoke layouts and themed lands where previously there were none. They're retroactively turning their amusement parks into theme parks.

Disney's Hollywood Studios needs the same. A big tan showbuilding with American Idol next to big tan showbuilding with Toy Story next to a big tan showbuilding with The Little Mermaid... the time for that is passed.

I doodled up a complete renovation of Hollywood Studios that I'll upload here later. I'm pretty proud of it.

Why do you say the "Era of the 'studio' park is over?" Islands of Adventure has always had themed lands since its inception. Universal has also had "themed" areas, maybe not to a certain one character but to a part of the country (New York jumps to mind). Many people enjoy watching shows. That, I would guess, makes up a bigger crowd than the ones who come in for rides.

If I am not mistaken the behind the scenes tour in Hollywood is still there, they just not make you part of the movie versus seeing sets?

Would I be against, a retheme to bring in more Star Wars stuff, no way. I think it would be great. But I dont think you will see the studio park just disappear...

• Like 2

I don't see how Hollywood Studios wouldn't be a studio park. It's called Hollywood Studios, first of all, and there's really no way to destroy every single building in the park that looks like a "studio" building, and then replace it with all new rides. I'm not sure what the problem is, anyways - I like HS...why are people so picky when it comes to buildings? I'd say it's what inside of them that matters...look at Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey...you can see part of the show building in the queue line, but that doesn't change that it's one of the best rides out there.

• Like 4

Why do you say the "Era of the 'studio' park is over?" Islands of Adventure has always had themed lands since its inception. Universal has also had "themed" areas, maybe not to a certain one character but to a part of the country (New York jumps to mind). Many people enjoy watching shows. That, I would guess, makes up a bigger crowd than the ones who come in for rides.

I don't see how Hollywood Studios wouldn't be a studio park. It's called Hollywood Studios, first of all, and there's really no way to destroy every single building in the park that looks like a "studio" building, and then replace it with all new rides. I'm not sure what the problem is, anyways - I like HS...why are people so picky when it comes to buildings? I'd say it's what inside of them that matters...look at Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey...you can see part of the show building in the queue line, but that doesn't change that it's one of the best rides out there.

Aren't most of the attractions at Universal Florida in said boxy buildings? Transformers, Kong, Mummy, SpiderMan, Despicable Me, ET? Universal cant very well tear those down anytime soon.

What I mean by that is that in the 1980s and early 1990s, it was "all the rage" in the park industry to build theme parks masquerading as movie studios. Universal, Disney, Warner Bros., and yes, even Paramount suddenly realized that bringing films into parks was easy to market. Even better, by saying, "We don't have to build a real Egyptian temple, it's a movie studio, so we can put it in a studio showbuilding!" parks could build very cheaply, with big massive showbuildings that are in no way disguised or hidden from view. No need to hide Star Tours behind an elaborate Tomorrowland facade - just put it in a very visible box!

In the late 90s, Animal Kingdom and Islands of Adventure opened and changed the standard. Suddenly the new standard was highly detailed, themed lands that supported massive rides (as Disney had previously done at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in an earlier era). Those parks are so immersive you can get lost in them. The detail is so rich, it's incredible.

So those studio parks left from the early 90s - like Universal Studios Florida and Disney's Hollywood Studios - are aging poorly. Set next to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios looks cheap... and it was.

For one possible path for the park, look at Universal Studios Florida which is very clearly dedicated to turning their "Look, I'm a studio backlot!" into a park with appropriately themed lands. Sure, their entry land (with Despicable Me and Transformers) is called "Production Central" and maintains the backlot look. But have a look at the brand new land, Springfield U.S.A. which they built around the existing Simpsons Ride. Also, the new London / Diagon Alley. They're physically rebuilding that park as a theme park with themed lands instead of a hodge-podge of mismatched rides placed haphazardly next to each other.

map.jpg

The situation was far worse at Universal Studios Hollywood, which developed very organically over many decades. Its upper lot is composed of rides scattered around with no logical layout whatsoever. That park is currently undergoing a 5-year expansion that started by physically BUILDING a central park icon from scratch and carving a "hub-and-spokes" format into the park. If you visit in 2016, you won't see the random hodge-podge of buildings. You'll walk down Hollywood Blvd. to the Universal Plaza Tower, where paths will diverge - one to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, one to Springfield USA, one to Gru's Neighborhood and Minions' Super Silly Fun Land. They're BUILDING a theme park with themed lands. No more big boxy showbuildings. No more mix-and-matched rides next to each other.

universal-studios-hollywood-park-map-201

Hollywood Studios needs that too, and this could be the start of it.

• Like 6

GYK -

I'm almost entirely with you on some of your points. I noticed at Disney that when they didn't want to pay to have you completely emerged in an experience it would be a Hollywood set rather than "real."

It makes it so they can have a little bit of flexibility with what people can see and probably saves some money.

Other parks are guilty of that too.

Italian Job Stunt Track

• Like 4

Yea I really tink Italian job Stunt Track would have fit pretty well into Action Zone when it opened since that part of the park was supposed to me a movie studio theme. But it feels cheap where it is like they cut corners even though that i the theme. That siad it is a fun little coaster and I love to ride it regardless.

Would love to see them give theHollywood Studios the same treatment Universal has been giving it's parks and give it some more theming.

Also good news for you BB1 as Disney management confirmed to the cast and crew at Indy that they will not be closing and teh rumors are not true. Still woulnd't mind seeing an update to the show though still and swap out a couple scenes.

disney-hollywood-studios-map.jpg

Looking at the Disney Studios map and numerous visits to the park. Here are a few thoughts on reimagining the park. Keep the Sunset Blvd area with ToT and RnR, has a great Old Hollywood feel, really enjoy that area.

From the Idol Show building towards Star Tours and back through Streets of America could become the new home to a Star Wars Land or even a mini land. 1 additional ride, show and Streets of America could become nothing more than dining and shopping for your favorite Disney Star Wars stuff, Im picturing Mos Eisley with locals like the Cantina, Jabba's Palace and a Bounty Hunter attraction.

Finally the Pixar area could stay the same for the most part as a studioish area. But Use the Jack Sparrow building and area behind for a Monsters Ride and possible a Pixar Show.

• Like 3

^

Gator, When in December? We will be there 12th through the 18th and I just booked ADR's yesterday morning! Can't Wait.

We'll be down there the week of New Year's. I have to work the day after Christmas so we're leaving the 27th and coming back January 4th. I'm sure it'll be packed that week, but we usually go during the summer so we're used to crowds there... just maybe not as crowded as we'll see it then!

• Like 2

Universal Florida was never designed to be a "look, I'm a backlot!" kind of park like its counterpart in Hollywood. Even when it first opened, I recall going there and having the 'backlot tour' be very small and short. The tour at the CA park evolved over time. Even the DHS backlot tour is basically a shell of what it once was and it at least attempted to be a true backlot tour once.

Good luck Gator during that time. Considered Disney's most busy time of year, but with a bit of planning you can still avoid the majority of the crowds. I copied the link to EasyWDW's crowd calendar and park recommendations for the month of December. Check it out if you haven't already, very helpful. Stinks you are missing the free dinning promotion, which ends on the 23rd, still will be great fun. Are you staying on property?

Universal Florida was never designed to be a "look, I'm a backlot!" kind of park like its counterpart in Hollywood. Even when it first opened, I recall going there and having the 'backlot tour' be very small and short. The tour at the CA park evolved over time. Even the DHS backlot tour is basically a shell of what it once was and it at least attempted to be a true backlot tour once.

It wasn't designed to resemble a backlot?

Compare Universal Studios Florida's 'backlot' style Shrek 4D to Singapore's "themed islands" version.

9604375240_c16b6d757f_z.jpg

shrek-4d-adventure.png

Similarly, compare Florida's Despicable Me to Hollywood's:

photo%205.JPG

14-ONL-14262-DM-USH-Attraction-Page2_FM-

In both scenarios, the first example is a remnant from Florida's "backlot" style that was fixed / changed into "theme park" style in later incarnations. Giant tan show-building. It's cheap and the parks can "get away with it" by saying "No, no, no, we're a studio! Seeing the ugly tan building is part of the experience!" In both the second examples, the same rides have been incorporated into their surroundings in complete themed "lands." That's the new push, and it's happening at Universal Studios Hollywood AND Universal Studios Florida. At Disney's Hollywood Studios, there doesn't seem to be the same push. Instead, Star Tours is next to Muppets is next to American Idol is next to Indiana Jones, etc. Not that that's inexcusable or unforgivable, just that that's not the best those parks can do anymore.

Now, for example, they could theme the entire eastern shore of Echo Lake as an Indiana Jones base camp, building it around the existing show. Similarly, they could build a whole themed Star Wars land AROUND the existing ride. That's the kind of thing Universal is doing with Springfield and Diagon Alley and Gru's Neighborhood.

Universal Studios Florida never had a backlot tour. Plans for one were axed after Universal caught wind that Disney was planning a competing studio park for Florida, and that its main (and really, only) attraction would be a studio tram tour.

• Like 4