Banshee stuck on lift hill

Magenta Lizard

^Not when it's running one train.

NOTE TO GENERAL PUBLIC: The following is sarcasm. Please do not take it seriously, or you will make the enthusiasts cry. Thank you for your cooperation.

Obviously the lift motor struggles more when there are two trains on the track. It must be falling apart and unable to handle the weight of two trains. Or maybe it's sinking.

<END SARCASM>

• Like 2

I'm watching WHIO right now and they just did the live story about Banshee. Like others have said this stuff happens all the time. I got stuck myself on FOF on opening day. People should be reporting that the rides are working as they are designed and the train was stopped in a safe location. Seriously getting annoyed with the general population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest waitinginline617

My mom is terrified of roller coasters and hates that I have a gold pass. This story did not help my case...especially when I told her that happens all the time. All they are doing is fueling the fire of people who have never been on a roller coaster or are already scared of them. She definitely didn't listen when I said that it didn't mean the ride was malfunctioning; and yes she still talks about Flight of Fear "almost burning down".

• Like 5

This is a great example of a news outlet taking advantage of people stupidity and ignorance. IMHO, they know that the general public knows absolutely nothing about roller coasters, so thats why stories like this are "news".

That made my skin crawl reading that. Not only because it was absurdly pointless, but also because it seemed to make Kings Island come off as a dangerous place. The person who wrote the article didn't even explain what exactly went wrong with FoF and that it was nothing serious. Heck, the fact that Banshee stopped on the lift is nothing serious. No one was hurt and at least no one was stuck upside down in a loop. I can remember many a time when Invertigo stopped on its lift hill and that never made news! Coasters do get stopped on the lift sometimes...its not the end of the world...geesh.

• Like 7

Remember, a lot of the GP really wouldn't know that roller coasters getting stuck on lift hills is normal...but the thing that's bothering me is how people are commenting "this park is a death trap", "this is why I don't go to Kings Island", and "roller coasters are dangerous". Since when does a mechanical problem such as getting stuck on a lift hill constitute as a dangerous issue?

• Like 4

This is a great example of a news outlet taking advantage of people stupidity and ignorance. IMHO, they know that the general public knows absolutely nothing about roller coasters, so thats why stories like this are "news".

I think your giving the news outlet far too much credit. IMHO, the people reporting this likely know as much about roller coasters as the general public and that is why it is "news".

• Like 4

It wasn't even a slow news day. Also in the Dayton area, a body was found hanging in a closet, that had been there five years. Of course, keeping up journalistic integrity the headline said "more than a decade."

Which just goes to show how they blow out of proportion even real news.

And that made news all the way south into NC as did KI opening Banshee but none of the problems with it or FOF.

I think your giving the news outlet far too much credit. IMHO, the people reporting this likely know as much about roller coasters as the general public and that is why it is "news".
You're right. I did give the news outlet way too much credit. NO CREDIT FOR YOU WHIO!

Journalists are not experts in roller coasters or amusement parks in general. Probably, someone called it in, or a reporter was on scene. The immediate reaction is to get the story up. If its nothing, no one loses their job. If its a real problem, then well if you are late to putting it on air, you will get reprimanded by your boss. More so if they find that you sat on the story.

Goodness, gracious, this on Banshee is not news, these news people really need to get it together. It seems to me anything is news for the news people for Kings Island as of late.

Well the two smoking incidents were considered to be semi-real news. So if something else happens, this will help create more clicks to their website.

Absolutely. Also dont forget, that many times reporters or anchors may not always be from the same area that they broadcast in. Its a very very rare thing to have anchors, come from the town and make it onto the station and stay on the station in their home towns. Cincinnati is in a top 35 market of over 200 markets (I believe Dayton is in top 90?). The fact that you can turn on a station and have people who grew up in Cincinnati, on air is amazing. But not all talent is like that. The Bob Herzog, Bob/Rob Braun, Etc growing up and presenting the news to us here is unique. Many times, a person doing a year or so here may have grown up in NY or California, etc.

• Like 2

A close family friend claims that she knows someone who used to be a mechanic for Kings Island that claimed he would never allow his children to ride the coasters there because he felt they were "unsafe". And now because this so-called "expert" made an idiotic statement, she won't believe my reasonably educated opinion on the safety of amusement rides. Things like that don't help. They instill a false image that no amount of explanation can fix.

If a park mechanic really, truly felt that way, then I'm glad he is a FORMER mechanic. If he honestly thinks that roller coasters are at all dangerous under normal circumstances, then it proves that he knows next to nothing about them, and I would not want such a person doing the repairs on the rides that I trust mys safety to.

I don't claim to be an expert on roller coasters. But I know enough to realize that if coasters truly were screaming metal death traps, wouldn't more incidents have happened in the 40 years Kings Island has been open? Over the course of their 20+ years, wouldn't B&M have had at least ONE safety incident on their coasters purely by simple random chance? How many deaths occur every year on all roller coasters in the world, combined? How many deaths occur on Interstate 75 in a week? I'd bet you a blank check with my signature on it that the second number is higher.

I noticed that our very own Violakat left a very helpful comment explaining the situation in the comments on WHIO's Facebook article. Thank you for that. You can always trust a fellow Saturn fan to talk some sense into people that don't want to see reason :P

We, as enthusiasts need to be the solution, not the problem. We need to get in the habit of making well-researched and articulated defenses for the machines that bring us so much joy. Though I don't often like him, I direct you to this interview with Robb Alvey. He can be irritating, annoying, and even downright childish at times, but when he did this interview, he was genuinely acting as a force for good among the reputation of theme park rides. We need to know our facts, and be ready to defend the rides we love before their reputation can come to undue harm.

And to any concerned general public who might have found their way here, just remember: As long as you follow all of the posted safety signs, adhere to height and size restrictions, and behave in a reasonable manner, you will almost certainly get off the ride smiling and sustaining no harm. Nearly every time a safety incident occurs, there is almost always one common characteristic: One or more safety guidelines were not followed. Ride smart, and you will ride safe.

• Like 11