Dinos After Dark in Dinosaurs Alive @ Kings Island

BoddaH1994

We're talking about a 10 to midnight time slot for the showing, though. I assume for that time that they aren't intending this to be a younger-child-friendly event. It would be fine with me if they age restrict it to 13 and above. I doubt they'd lose that many people who otherwise think 10-midnight is a good time for their younger children to watch a movie, and they very well may gain teens and older visitors who think it is more "for" them than a family event would be.

• Like 2

YEa I agree that I've been curious about the target for this. It sounds like a fun event, but can't think where they will handle that many people and all.

Do think the movie is fine though. It's up to the adults to decide if their child can handle it. I remember seeing it in theatres when it came out and I was 7 and was fine. I was watching much worse stuff back then anyway. Plus I think most real young kids, like 5 and under, probably wouldn't make it to the midnight point very easily anyway.

I've noticed a large open field over there near Dinosaurs Alive when I ride WindSeeker, and wondered what it is used for. If people don't mind sitting in the grass, they might mock up some sort of screen to project the movie on. I think it would fit 1000 people. But I don't imagine they're really planning on 1000 people hanging out for the whole movie (and assume they'll just use the unused theater that is already there).

If PG-13 - being 13+ - was actually true, then I've been a bad kid. I watched a lot of PG-13 movies around 7, 8, 9, etc. Movies like Spider-Man (blood and language), Pirates of the Caribbean (blood, language, pretty scary moments), even I Am Legend...Jurassic Park really isn't all that bad. I'd still consider it a family movie.

Now Jaws is pretty scary...I wouldn't recommend an 8 year old going to the Dive In movie for it. Not because of the blood, but because of the fact it involves a shark attacking people...something that could very well happen! Dinosaurs escaping from a dinosaur theme park on the other hand - nah.

• Like 1

jdawg1998 has good points. A film rating does not mean that everyone must abide exactly by the recommendation given by that rating. I watched my first R-rated movie (Air Force One) with my parents when I was just 10 or 11, and I was not in any way affected by it.

It ultimately depends on the child in question, and every child is different. Some kids can handle a PG-13 film at 6 or 7, others can't handle it until 14 or 15. Sometimes it depends on the reason for the rating; some kids might be able to handle certain reasons when they're young, but need to wait until they're older for other reasons. No two children are the same, and each parent has to use their own judgment to determine what their kid(s) can and cannot handle.

• Like 4

Plus, the first 1,000 guests on Opening Night of "Dinos After Dark" July 5 will receive a free glow-in-the-dark t-shirt!

1,000 guests in one night? The FIRST 1,000 guests?

They sure do expect this thing to be big.

It's going to be interesting. Who is this intended for? We all know that DA is more of a "family" attraction, geared towards kids. But Jurassic Park? Is the appropriate on a wide scale for a 5 or 6 year old? Furthermore, would those kids be willing and able to participate in the alleged 10-12a time frame?

I guess the conclusion we can draw is that this is intended for older point. Teens and adults. The description is still kind of vague, so anything's possible. Can't wait to check it out.

I'd argue that DA itself is NOT geared towards 5 year olds at all, and is in fact geared more toward 7/8/9+ year olds. I think the film is appropriate for the target audience.

I agree. Kids this age wouldn't care about dinosaurs if they weren't frightened by them. The 7-10 range is when they scrabble up all those documentaries and books. They WANT to be scared, and seeing that film before the tour is brilliant.

We know there's going to be some Walmarts bringing in a three year old, because they are too lazy and and self-centered to care what the kid feels until people start to give them the stink eye, (and of course, the kid screaming is never the parent's fault in these cases), but that's in every situation now.

• Like 2

How would you like to walk with the Dinosaurs at Night?

Grab a flashlight and step back in time to the beginning of the "Age of the Dinosaurs" with more than 65 life-sized, animatronic dinosaurs at night!

Grab a flashlight??? I don't recall seeing any lighting fixtures in D.A. Hmmmm.....interesting.

We plan to go to this July 12. My 7 year old is a huge dino lover and is super excited! He learned about this event watching the promo ads at the Dive-In movie last night :)

I must be a bad parent because I didn't even bat an eye at the showing of Jurassic Park. He hasn't seen the whole thing but I recall showing him bits and pieces when it was on tv. I picked out the scary (exciting) dinosaur parts to show him. He lived through it...but once again, I might be a bad parent ;) lol

We can't wait! I assume the t-shirt offer is first 1000 people on the first night only. Maybe they will have some for sale July 12th.

• Like 2

We plan to go to this July 12. My 7 year old is a huge dino lover and is super excited! He learned about this event watching the promo ads at the Dive-In movie last night :)

I must be a bad parent because I didn't even bat an eye at the showing of Jurassic Park. He hasn't seen the whole thing but I recall showing him bits and pieces when it was on tv. I picked out the scary (exciting) dinosaur parts to show him. He lived through it...but once again, I might be a bad parent ;) lol

We can't wait! I assume the t-shirt offer is first 1000 people on the first night only. Maybe they will have some for sale July 12th.

I don't think that showing 'Jurassic Park' to your kids necessarily makes you or anyone a bad parent. You know your kid better than anyone. You know what's appropriate for them and what's not.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I found out for tonight...Temporary movie screens are being set up for the movie tonight just like Dive In movies and flashlights are going to be provided and returned when you leave the attraction. S'mores and drinks (water,juice,coffee) are going to be provided during the exhibit and first 1,000 participants get a free tshirt and cost is $3.00 for season passholders and $6.00 for non pass holders for the event tonight, tickets for tonight can only be purchased here at the park now. Other dates you can purchase online on the website. :)

• Like 2