Horrible experience at KI on 6/17

TrinDawg41

So, my friend and I came down to KI for a couple days all the way from northern part of Ohio to visit the park on Monday, to obviosly ride the all new Banshee. Yesterday (Tuesday), we wanted to check out the new "Cirque Imagine" show but we were a little early, so decided to walk International Street and check out the shops. SO, upon entering the 80s Store, and while I was browsing some t-shirts, a KI security officer approached me and asked me if I had visited the observation deck on the Eiffel Tower today. I thought it was an odd question, but replied no, but that I had been up there on Monday. He then proeceeded to ask me where all I had been today in the park. SO, I told him we were just shopping waiting for the Cirque show to start. THEN he tells me that I match the description of someone who had caused a disturbance on the observation deck and that I was to come with him to get ID'd from the park employee!! Now, I started to get a little upset, because I knew it wasn't me. SO, we got a bout a 1/3 of the way to Eiffel Tower and he stops, takes a couple steps away, talks into his radio, then comes back to me an says "Its OK, you can go. We got him".....HUH??? And that was it! No apology for taking up my time or being treated like a freaking criminal!! REALLY KI PD? REALLY?? So, when I got home today, I promptly called KI customer service and told them my complaint. A couple hours later, while I was taking a nap, coincidentally, a supervisor from KI PD called me and left me a voice mail stating he was sorry and that If I need to get back in touch, to call him at the number he left. That's not making me feel any better about this situation..I'm very upset. Is this how people get treated now a days? Getting profiled at KI??

• Like 1

If you aren't satisfied with the reaction of the supervisor of the park PD, why not call them back? You're really not going to solve anything just by posting it here. Maybe they can offer you a better explanation.

Sorry this happened to you, though.

• Like 9

I think we are losing focus on the term, "profiling" too.

You matched the description of someone they were looking for. Sounds like an honest mistake, although if your account is accurate they could have been more polite about it when they found out it wasn't you.

Profiling would be if security followed an African-American kid into the 80's shop to catch him stealing because, "that's what African-American kids do."

• Like 8

It sounds like this could have been handled much better from a customer service perspective.

If you match the description of someone that police are looking for, it's very reasonable to stop you long enough to determine whether you are that person. They should be respectful and tell you why they are briefly stopping you. They definitely shouldn’t make you feel "like a criminal". Once they determine that you are not the individual in question, they should thank you for your cooperation.

Definitely call them back and let them know why you aren't happy. No guest of the park should be made to feel that way unless actually violating laws or park rules.

• Like 8

It sounds like this could have been handled much better from a customer service perspective.

If you match the description of someone that police are looking for, it's very reasonable to stop you long enough to determine whether you are that person. They should be respectful and tell you why they are briefly stopping you. They definitely shouldn’t make you feel "like a criminal". Once they determine that you are not the individual in question, they should thank you for your cooperation.

Definitely call them back and let them know why you aren't happy. No guest of the park should be made to feel that way unless actually violating laws or park rules.

EXACTLY...this is all I was trying to say. He never apologized or, like you said, thanked me for my cooperation, which I gave him in the FULLEST. I did get a call back from a supervisor, but unfortunately missed the call due to taking a nap, and he said he'd be out of the office till Friday if I needed to get back in touch with him, which I will. But, I was quite surprised that I even got a call back so soon, as the customer service rep originally told me that it could take up to a week to get a response back from the KI staff....

So you're upset because you didn't get an apology, but got a phone call from a supervisor apologizing? What did you want the supervisor tell you to make you feel better about the situation?

I understand it was probably stressful and a waste of your time. But, the officer was doing his job by looking for someone matching a description. The officer didn't just pick you out because you have one quality but because you matched the description of the offender.

The officer may not have apologized or thanked you for your cooperation because there may have been a bigger task at hand. He could have had to respond to the area where the offender was found.

As someone else said, you should call them back if you're not satisfied, nothing in all honesty will be rectified here. I can tell you, never leave the park without voicing a complaint. The more you wait by traveling home, taking a nap, lets you just get more worked up by thinking about it. There's a great place at the front gate, called Guest Services. If there is a complaint or compliment, go there before heading home. It will get addressed as soon as possible. Often times if there is a complaint someone from the department you have an issue with, will come and speak with you personally.

• Like 8

Right after I purchased my red and black Tahoe pickup truck, I was being stopped allover town. If I changed lanes, the sirens went on.

I got so used to stopping for police, I began to know them by name.

Yes, they were looking for some other yobbo with the same style of truck. I don't know why they just didn't check license plates.

I always got an apology on the spot. It seems as if the security guard had to be reminded later to call and apologize. It seems more a fault of the officer as an individual for not having good manners than an overall view of KI Security.

I'm sure at this point, if this particular guard ever finds himself in the same situation, he'll remember to apologize right then and there.

• Like 5

I got stopped by an officer last year for almost the same reason. Some teen in Planet Snoopy was telling the little kids before getting on The Great Pumpkin Coaster that it was going to break while they were on it. I guess he forgot that kids often times tell their parents about those things and the guard told me to wait with him until they caught him. I kept telling him I needed to talk to my dad but he wouldn't let me take my phone out to call him (He was on International Street with some friends getting us lunch). When he finally budged and let me call him my dad started yelling at him and we were asked to leave. They called and said they caught the kid and apologized. My dad asked them if I could have some kind of front of the line pass on one ride and they hung up! I was so ticked off I didn't visit again until August.

Like it or not, they are doing their job.

Put yourself in a victim's shoes: if you were somehow wronged, victim of theft, or assaulted you would want security to do EVERYTHING in their power to catch the perp. For whatever reason you matched the description.

Be satisfied someone did call you back with an apology. They had no reason to do it, yet still did.

After all the stories of: thefts from lockers, line jumping, smoking in line, and just the unique jackass looking for a fight, it is a breath of fresh air knowing park security IS around.

It should also be mentioned- kudos to you for following security's direction. Many would not.

• Like 9

I got stopped by an officer last year for almost the same reason. Some teen in Planet Snoopy was telling the little kids before getting on The Great Pumpkin Coaster that it was going to break while they were on it. I guess he forgot that kids often times tell their parents about those things and the guard told me to wait with him until they caught him. I kept telling him I needed to talk to my dad but he wouldn't let me take my phone out to call him (He was on International Street with some friends getting us lunch). When he finally budged and let me call him my dad started yelling at him and we were asked to leave. They called and said they caught the kid and apologized. My dad asked them if I could have some kind of front of the line pass on one ride and they hung up! I was so ticked off I didn't visit again until August.

If for some reason this ever happens again go ahead and make your call. At that point you're not under arrest you are allowed to use tour phone they can't force you not to.

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

Sounds like he did his job other than poor customer service which really is not the main priority in their job description. As others said, you are best to voice a complaint shortly after it happens, not when you get home when there's a possibility the security guard isn't at work to give his side of things and may have forgotten about the incident by the time it's brought to his attention.

Sounds like he did his job other than poor customer service which really is not the main priority in their job description.

Customer service is actually a priority for many (most?) law enforcement officers, though maintaining safety always comes first.

Security can be a stressful job, and they have a lot to deal with on a daily basis. Hopefully the officer or employee involved will communicate more effectively if a situation like this comes up again. It's unfortunate that a guest was upset.

"Thank you" and "I'm sorry" are two of the most powerful phrases in the English language. Using them at the right time can make all the difference in the world.

• Like 3

Guest dtk1376

Never said it wasn't a priority, just that it's not their main priority, as I said later in my post he still should of brought it to the attention of guest services.

Obviously being kind and courteous is one of the things you should expect from any employee of an establishment you are giving money in return for a service or product. Security's, as hinted in their title, main job is provide security and maintain a safe environment for the guests of the park, and they are doing their best to make the park a safe place.

This I found quite a bit more troubling than the original post (no offense or anything you should voice any and all concerns with the park at Guest Relations), I don't know everything about this, but considering "the guard told me to wait with him until they caught him" this implies that he didn't actually believe you were the culprit. And the fact that he denied you permission to call your father, which is something that he should definitely be informed of and involved in, it real rather disheartening. To the point, where I'm not sure I would want to return the park after something like that with my children.

I don't know what Kings Island Security can and can not do, but I don't think he really would have the right to prevent you from calling your father, after all you weren't really under arrest, & even then you should be allowed to make a call (right). The fact that they wouldn't reimburse you didn't surprise me, after all they were just doing their job, right? That would be something to take to Guest Relations.

I know I would be very ****ed if my Best Day Ever was interrupted by rude security, I would expect some sort of compensation for my cooperation, and at the very least an apology for the confusion and inconvenience.

• Like 5

Combine this thread about an event on Tuesday, and the thread on the trip report about increased security on Wednesday and perhaps, just maybe the security guard had a lot more on his mind that minding his P & Qs. If you don't know what the "disturbance" was on the observation deck, then you don't know the seriousness of their search. While anyone representing the park should always be advised to be respectful to the parks patrons as a general rule, there are times in any line of work that getting the job accomplished is far more important than the feelings of said patrons.

You got a call back from customer service, in a seemingly timely manner (why not stop there while you are already at the park?). I'm not sure what more you can expect.

• Like 2

Counting yesterday morning, that is two Wednesdays that I have gone, and had to deal with the full monty before entering the park. Yesterday, though, the folks working out front were much more cordial than the first time, where it had all the pop and pizzazz of entering a Russian prison camp in Siberia.

..... If you don't know what the "disturbance" was on the observation deck, then you don't know the seriousness of their search.....

And cross-threading with other topics - if this "disturbance" was serious, why did the media not pick up on it? I mean they want to pick up on every time Banshee stops on the lift hill (which is normal, acceptable, and expected), yet a disturbance out of the ordinary that many are claiming resulted in the increased security was not mentioned by the local media? (Sarcasm here as to what the media does and does not pick up on!)

Personally, I would really like to see zero posts regarding security at the park. We really do not need to have posts saying that people were being checked or not checked at front gate. All it does is give the person with ill-intent additional information to figure out how to disrupt. Even if it is random days of checking, that in itself is a pattern with which one can formulate a plan.

And to the original poster - you made a complaint and they called you back. End of story.

• Like 1

Trindawg, just wanted to let you know that I do feel your pain. I think it is great that the the park thought enough to call you but if I were to try to put myself in your place, I am sure that I would feel very traumatized by this experience. I highly recommend that you return the park's call and relay your experience to them. I think you will feel a lot better and that it will help you to move on. They are really a wonderful bunch of people at park security and I am sure that they will listen to you and understand your feelings.