Heightened Security 6/18/14

coaster_womn

Today (just an ordinary Wednesday) seemed to be a day of heightened security at the park.

We had the security guard bag search on the way in, which is unusual when it's not Halloween Haunt, just a standard, non-busy Wednesday morning.

Then we were blocked at Diamondback with a no early admission rope, and a VERY intense female security guard.

Then after two perfect Diamondback rides, we were locked in our seats for our third consecutive ride, and suddenly we were all ordered to exit the train and go back to the gate. We stood and watched three empty trains run through, with no explanation. The young people working at Diamondback were courteous, as usual. They encouraged us to go enjoy another ride and come back later. After a quick Beast ride, we got back on Diamondback and our seats were chosen for us this time.

Flight of Fear had a CLOSED sign in front, of course.

We walked up to the lockers in front of Banshee, to be told that Banshee was having maintenance issues and was shut down.

As we walked toward the main entrance to get a bite to eat, we passed the emergency truck and several grim security guards. After taking a lunch break, we worked our way back to Banshee to find it was still shut down, roughly an hour later.

So we left the park at 1:00 PM, facing much longer lines waiting to get in, and having their bags checked by many security guards. Again, they seemed intense and grim. Just a weird feeling in the park today.

When did all this extra security start? I come to the park weekly.

• Like 4

I was at the park today (as in 6/18), as well. It definitely seemed that they were much more vigorous about checking every single bag coming through the gates than they have been in the past. In fact, I can recall past visits where they weren't checking bags at all. In addition to the checking, it seemed they were randomly picking people to scan with the wands. For example, I went in a group of five people, and only one of us were scanned. Also, the cross walk in front of Soak City had 4 or 5 guards instead of just one.

None of that had really occurred to me until reading your post, though. Whatever was the reason, it seemed to have worked as there were no problems. Well, unless you want to account for how extremely hot it was, but the park can't control that. ;)

And welcome to KIC!

• Like 1

Good security often involves some unpredictability. They may have a more visible presence some days than others.

If it's necessary to increase security on a busy day, it will have been good that various procedures were tried out on an uncrowded Wednesday.

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

Agree, I don't remember security being so present last year. I'm OK with the extra security, they haven't changed my experience, but I can also say I haven't been to the park on one of these days where they are searching a large amount of people going in.

EDIT: Decided to go with the side of caution and not cause a stir :)

• Like 1

Random security measures or practices to keep muscle memory are very important to the overall security of a site. Also added, noone will ever know if there was an informant or security issue in the park that day.

Security will always focus first on the safety of all patron in the park, that is their job. This is one way to deter, prevent, and appropriately enforce their policies they are set to carry out.

Be happy for the most part as this is only a one day deal. Go to some SIX parks, you get this deal every time you enter. Take Fiesta Texas, your first 30 minutes of the day might be getting screened by security to get through the gate. KI, how many days out of the year do you excessively wait to get past the entrance plaza.

• Like 2

I noticed a few black-uniformed security at the park today. They looked more police-y than the usual park-ranger colored uniforms on most of the security I've seen. And the ones in the dark uniforms also seemed positioned to be a very visible presence.

I like to see security in the park too. Protect us from the idiots and the idiots from themselves.

That's nothing new. Kings Island has had both regular, unarmed security guards (the type sometimes derogatorily referred to as "mall cops") and fully armed and sworn police officers who have been through the police academy for at least as long as I've been going to KI regularly (which is at least since 2010). They will also bring in Mason police officers for extra assistance on unusually busy days (e.g. opening day this year).

• 4 weeks later...

The officers with the black uniforms are sworn police officers. They get their commission through the City of Mason. A lot of them are also police officers in other jurisdictions like yours truly was during my time as a Kings Island Park Police Officer.

• Like 1