Museum of Horrors - Any Information?

Spectrum91

On 9/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, Gabe said:

It would be nice to see some more elaborate tents in future Haunts, if they can do so without clogging up the pathways.  at HHN at Uni, some of the marquee haunts (Stranger Things) are actually in a large tent (with pumped in HVAC).  It would save on the expense of constructing a prefab building used only for several weekends a year.

HHN's headliners are always in soundstages. Usually the originals/small IPs are in sprung tents. The quality in them aren't always the best (especially early in the night when there is still light).

• 2 years later...

Ok, tiny little time jump here, but I have some questions! I mainly use this blog to learn about the park, and I don’t post much because I don’t have nearly as much knowledge as you all do! I was going on a road trip to see my extended family, and decided to read Kings Island A Ride Through Time to gain more knowledge! First off, the book is absolutely amazing, and I have not been able to put it down. I read it for a total of 8 hours in the car. Since the park has been owned by Cedar Fair since I have been able to walk, I have some questions about Paramount’s FearFest.

1. Do any of the current, or recently closed, Halloween Haunt mazes reuse the props from old FearFest mazes?

2. Was the Paramount Theatre located in the same building as the current Kings Island Theatre?

3. Were the mazes scarier under Cedar Fair’s ownership or Paramount’s ownership? (I only ask this because older threads seem to believe that Paramount’s mazes were scarier, and I want details as to why!!)

4. If the Sewer maze was happening in Festhaus, how was the Studio Fifty-Gore show also occurring there in 2000?

3 hours ago, eadrewsKI said:

Ok, tiny little time jump here, but I have some questions! I mainly use this blog to learn about the park, and I don’t post much because I don’t have nearly as much knowledge as you all do! I was going on a road trip to see my extended family, and decided to read Kings Island A Ride Through Time to gain more knowledge! First off, the book is absolutely amazing, and I have not been able to put it down. I read it for a total of 8 hours in the car. Since the park has been owned by Cedar Fair since I have been able to walk, I have some questions about Paramount’s FearFest.

1. Do any of the current, or recently closed, Halloween Haunt mazes reuse the props from old FearFest mazes?

2. Was the Paramount Theatre located in the same building as the current Kings Island Theatre?

3. Were the mazes scarier under Cedar Fair’s ownership or Paramount’s ownership? (I only ask this because older threads seem to believe that Paramount’s mazes were scarier, and I want details as to why!!)

4. If the Sewer maze was happening in Festhaus, how was the Studio Fifty-Gore show also occurring there in 2000?

I'll take a stab at these (pun intended :) )

1) I'm sure there are re-used props I just can't recall where they are, maybe someone else can help.

2) The current Kings Island Theatre is the same building as was the Paramount Theatre.  It was originally known as the American Heritage Music Hall when it opened in 1977.  The original Kings Island Theatre was built with the park in 1972 and was a large vinyl structure supported by air roughly located where Tower Gardens now stands.  For more information: https://KICentral.com/parkhistory/past-attractions/kings-island-theater/

3) What is scary is up to those who are being scared.  Most mazes were scarier in the past just as a matter of the times.  One year I remember that the scareactors were allowed to touch you (you still couldn't touch them).  This lasted only about a year or two.  Since then they have seemed to become more "jump" scares rather than horror in order to be more appopriate for the times.

4) Don't remember the sewer maze but they did have the 3D clowns maze in the Festhaus for a couple of years while they still had a show going on.  They simply put up walls to make the maze and it was located on the right as you entered the building.

This is what I recall and actual results may vary :)

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Agree that the scariness aspect is very subjective. Different houses also means different themes, so even two comparable houses of same quality and scare actors could be viewed vastly different by someone in terms of scariness. Also, people remembering house back to the Paramount days versus now were also younger back then and maybe more easy to scare than hey are now. 

• Like 1

Not to say we don’t necessarily need scare actors but… scares don’t always need to come from people. I’ve been places where a well timed valve going off or the sudden loud noise while no monsters are present can be just as terrifying because it lets the imagination run wild. Jump scares are fine, but they’re quick and don’t seem to last as long.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, robintodd said:

1) I'm sure there are re-used props I just can't recall where they are, maybe someone else can help.

I can help!

• The car in KillMart used to be in the OG Slaughterhouse back when it was in Chicken Shack
  • The spinning tunnel in Chaos used to be in CarnEvil (Not 100% sure on this one)
  • The "living coat rack" monster thing that was in Cornered this year used to be in Wolf Pack, if my memory serves me right, it was in Holiday Horror before that.
  • The drop panels in the hallway scene in Hotel St. Michelle are leftover from Urgent Scare

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of, I'll update the list if I think of any more. This was fun to think about!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Snowball said:

I can help!

• The car in KillMart used to be in the OG Slaughterhouse back when it was in Chicken Shack
  • The spinning tunnel in Chaos used to be in CarnEvil (Not 100% sure on this one)
  • The "living coat rack" monster thing that was in Cornered this year used to be in Wolf Pack, if my memory serves me right, it was in Holiday Horror before that.
  • The drop panels in the hallway scene in Hotel St. Michelle are leftover from Urgent Scare

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of, I'll update the list if I think of any more. This was fun to think about!

hate those drop panels! lol They are so loud and sudden! I was (scaring) in Urgent Scare one night (as it was raining) and I had to learn how to pull one of those things...

Also, what is the "living coat rack" you speak of? I saw the furnature at the beginning of the maze, but I don't remember seeing a coat rack

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snowball said:

I can help!

Thanks, I knew you'd be able to help! :) I'm almost positive the spinning tonel was used in CarnEvil both when it was in the Festhaus and in the Snoopy Theatre.  Miss that maze, it was a good one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

hate those drop panels! lol They are so loud and sudden! I was (scaring) in Urgent Scare one night (as it was raining) and I had to learn how to pull one of those things...

Also, what is the "living coat rack" you speak of? I saw the furnature at the beginning of the maze, but I don't remember seeing a coat rack

It's a coat rack with some coats and a hat on it, and the arms of the coats pop out and hat pops up revealing the face and arms of a monster, it also has an air cannon in it that goes off when the arms pop out. I'm not sure if it was running in Cornered as it was in pretty rough shape last time I looked at it. May have just been used as decoration.

Here's the link from the company that makes it: https://www.scarefactory.com/index.php/product/fix705-haunted-coat-rack/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Snowball said:

It's a coat rack with some coats and a hat on it, and the arms of the coats pop out and hat pops up revealing the face and arms of a monster, it also has an air cannon in it that goes off when the arms pop out. I'm not sure if it was running in Cornered as it was in pretty rough shape last time I looked at it. May have just been used as decoration.

Here's the link from the company that makes it: https://www.scarefactory.com/index.php/product/fix705-haunted-coat-rack/

I know exactly which prop you're talking about--it caught me by surprise in Holiday Horror and is unique enough that I usually end up taking note of it each year.

I did see it this year in Cornered, and I really want to say that it was operational.

• Like 1