Line Jumping prevention method

Gplez90

So Goliath at Six Flags Great America opened today, and i have notice people tweeting pictures of a ticket with a number on it that corresponds to their place in line. Quite honestly, this seems like a great idea to prevent line jumping. If you get to the turnstile at the station and present at ticket that is not in the correct order, then you're turned away.

BqgNdARCUAAzPN1.jpg

Photo credit to this Twitter Account.

• Like 3

What happens when someone leaves line for an unexpected reason? What if you drop back in line to your friends? It does seem in theory to be an awesome concept, but I'm already seeing some issues that could arise, if they can work out all the kinks I think it will be a fantastic prop to reduce line jumping.

• Like 1

I can see that working... I mean as long as they'd use some flexibility and common sense. You can't expect everyone to get every single number in exact order, but if there are 1 or 2 numbers that suddenly are 100 or 200 after anything else around them in line, you know they cut. Otherwise, if you give up your spot to go back to friends farther back in line, you've got a number that indicates your turn came before those around you, so they should recognize that and allow you to ride.

I know this is generalizing too much. Someone will always find a way to abuse any system, but on paper that would seem to make sense. Something like that could require some ride op discretion, which could in turn lead to inconsistency though. There's just no perfect answer.

• Like 3

I can see that working... I mean as long as they'd use some flexibility and common sense. You can't expect everyone to get every single number in exact order, but if there are 1 or 2 numbers that suddenly are 100 or 200 after anything else around them in line, you know they cut. Otherwise, if you give up your spot to go back to friends farther back in line, you've got a number that indicates your turn came before those around you, so they should recognize that and allow you to ride.

I know this is generalizing too much. Someone will always find a way to abuse any system, but on paper that would seem to make sense. Something like that could require some ride op discretion, which could in turn lead to inconsistency though. There's just no perfect answer.

That definitely makes the most sense. I'm sure common sense will prevail. I doubt they will hold up the line in search for just one missing number. But if there's suddenly a significant jump in a number, then it's probably from someone who attempted to line jump -- though I assume that just enacting this system will be a MAJOR deterrent for potential line jumpers.

• Like 2

I think this is a great idea, and hope that Cedar Fair might start something like this. I think it will work great. And I agree with what other people saying about the possible issues. Maybe the ride ops can be told to let people through as long as their number is within, let's say for example, above or below 25 numbers of the person in front of them.

This system really does sound interesting and I'm surprised it hasn't been tried out before. We'll have to wait to see to find out how well it works.

Why not skip the tickets, give everyone an RFID wrist band, that automatically checks in as you enter the line. Then a computer numbers the wristbands in sequential order. Maybe the restriction would be no more than 10 numbers ahead or behind the person in front of you. And if you leave the line, there should be a reader as you exit to cancel the numbering and reshuffle the wrist band numbers....check in...check out. It could be proximity activated to verify as you enter or exit the line. Then have a proximity activated RFID checker at the loading station to validate the order within 10 guests.

edit: then if there are people that cut ahead, they can be placed into a holding pen until their sequence arrives.

Why not skip the tickets, give everyone an RFID wrist band, that automatically checks in as you enter the line. Then a computer numbers the wristbands in sequential order. Maybe the restriction would be no more than 10 numbers ahead or behind the person in front of you. And if you leave the line, there should be a reader as you exit to cancel the numbering and reshuffle the wrist band numbers....check in...check out. It could be proximity activated to verify as you enter or exit the line. Then have a proximity activated RFID checker at the loading station to validate the order within 10 guests.

edit: then if there are people that cut ahead, they can be placed into a holding pen until their sequence arrives.

Agreed, I don't understand why they wouldn't just pluck money from the money-making tree they have to pay for that.

• Like 2

Well Terp, I think you are missing the future implications of awesome. In the future when you walk into a park, they hand you a clipboard with a predetermined number of rides on with ride times. You just look on the sheet walk to the ride, get on and get off. Like no real waiting time.....

• Like 2

Well Terp, I think you are missing the future implications of awesome. In the future when you walk into a park, they hand you a clipboard with a predetermined number of rides on with ride times. You just look on the sheet walk to the ride, get on and get off. Like no real waiting time.....

So, FastPass+?

Guest dtk1376

A concept like that would probably be good for the park's bottom line because it would get people out walking around the area spending money at the concessions rather than standing in line not spending money. I don't know if I would like it or not because I am so used to the regular way, but I would try it out at least once. It's been the same system since pretty much forever as far as I know, why not try to experiment with some type of improvement if there is room for it. I don't think I would like the pre-determined number of rides though.

I don't understand how this helps anything. If I start in line with my group of friends we will all have the proper numbers, but at any point during my wait I could just leave and come back and still have the ticket to give to the employee. Tell me if I am missing something.

If you enter the line and are given number 1100, jump past 300 people and the line front is serving only number 800, they will know you jumped ahead--your number is too high.

Why not? That would be like FlashPass.

The Flash Pass is Six Flags Entertainment Corporation's virtual line management system from Lo-Q. How on earth is this anything like that? I don't get it.

I don't understand how this helps anything. If I start in line with my group of friends we will all have the proper numbers, but at any point during my wait I could just leave and come back and still have the ticket to give to the employee. Tell me if I am missing something.

Not sure how the queue is setup for Goliath, but you actually bring up a decent point. If getting a ticket, leaving the line, then rejoining the line later at the same spot you left that you are apparently entitled to with your ticket is a common occurrence, then that could be quite annoying for those who wait in line from the time they receive their ticket.

I think this is really good for the first weeks of opening a ride.

Id actually take it a bit further and as people start lining up at the gates hand out the passes. That way you don't have people running and trying to push their way up before making it in.

• Like 1

Actually thats not a bad idea at all... I would make it a bit different. You hand out cards that have a specific time for them to get in line. This would be for new rides only. So when you walk into the park, you are handed a card that says you enter the queue between 1030-1045. That would maybe help spread guests out around the park, you wouldnt have the 5 hour wait of people in line...

• Like 1

Other systems at Disney already have done that, get a card, come back at a certain time, sounds familiar doesn't it :P

Again, if you have ride ops able to watch the line and a way to contact them/security via voice/phone, the problem works itself out. At crowd aside from screening guests to make sure they adhere to the rides SOP, you watch the queue. People are very predictable as to where they line jump. You see the same things every day, day in and out when working there.

• Like 2

I'm curious to know, if someone, let's say, get's out of after getting the pass, would the person who's card was out of order due to that person getting out of line be turned away? I think this is a pretty clever idea, but it will have to be fixed before they can use it.

My kids would find a way to lose their number while standing bored in line.

I suppose then they could not ride even though their mom & dad are standing right there too with the correct tickets?

Then take into account water rides & adverse weather. Wet clothes can adversely effect what is in a pocket, provided the guest actually has clothes with pockets.

System sounds great on paper, but I can see how it could be a logistical nightmare.

• Like 2