Backlot Stunt Coaster Special Effects Removed

Italian Job 2005

How long has the fire not been working? It definitely worked in early May last time I rode this particular ride...

We would definitely be living in some kind of Wonderland if our Backlot were to receive some cosmetic improvements and TLC.

It worked for me on April 26th -- My last visit. I need to get back to that place.

Maybe they took it out due to the Flight of Fear incidents?

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I didn't put two and two together.

EDIT: Apparently, most of you didn't know I kid.

How long has the fire not been working? It definitely worked in early May last time I rode this particular ride...

We would definitely be living in some kind of Wonderland if our Backlot were to receive some cosmetic improvements and TLC.

It worked for me on April 26th -- My last visit. I need to get back to that place.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I didn't put two and two together.

Uhh- the BLSC fire was shut off well before the first Flight of Fear incident. I rode it on May 13th- before FOF screwup #1 even happened- and the fire was off. It was there opening day though.

Remember a few years ago when we all felt oddly rejuvenated and excited because they'd completely fixed the flame effects, added new LEDs, and were playing new music on purpose? What a difference...

Hopefully this is just an oversight and something that'll get fixed up soon. Honestly given Cedar Fair's recent direction, I tend to have more hope than despair, and that's a big change. I hope they prove me right!

• Like 4

Maybe since very few of the effects are working for the ride, we could maybe see them do what they have been doing to FoF over the past couple of years? The year CEO management changed from Kinzel to Ouimet, FoF had very few of it's lights working or anything, but then next year (maybe even later that year?) a lot of the lighting effects were fixed. Their even was some lights in the start of the launch tunnel of FoF to give the illusion of space travel. Now they seem to have been keeping up on lighting for that ride now, and also upgraded the box TV's to flat screens and then fixed the video to be displayed at 16:9, maybe even upgraded the video to HD! Now I think since they have given a fair deal of attention to that, and next season it would be unlikely for a new attraction, I think they should focus their time and some money on Boo's Blasters on Boo's Hill, and BLSC. By restoring some or all their effects and maybe even making some upgrades (maybe some new guns for Boo's Blasters on Boo's Hill???)

Maybe since very few of the effects are working for the ride, we could maybe see them do what they have been doing to FoF over the past couple of years? The year CEO management changed from Kinzel to Ouimet, FoF had very few of it's lights working or anything, but then next year (maybe even later that year?) a lot of the lighting effects were fixed. Their even was some lights in the start of the launch tunnel of FoF to give the illusion of space travel. Now they seem to have been keeping up on lighting for that ride now, and also upgraded the box TV's to flat screens and then fixed the video to be displayed at 16:9, maybe even upgraded the video to HD! Now I think since they have given a fair deal of attention to that, and next season it would be unlikely for a new attraction, I think they should focus their time and some money on Boo's Blasters on Boo's Hill, and BLSC. By restoring some or all their effects and maybe even making some upgrades (maybe some new guns for Boo's Blasters on Boo's Hill???)

One of the former full timers in rides took on the Flight of Fear lights as his personal project. Matt Ouimet had nothing to do with it.

Let's be honest, the new screens were probably leftover FUNtv budget tv's, although I am glad it worked out this way.

I do like your optimism.

Since the theme of BLSC is irrelevant anymore at this point anyway...I would personally say to do away with the entire scene at the 'stopped' portion of the ride and simply have a darkened area that launches into the darkened tunnel.

I mean, If I didn't know that it was themed to the Italian Job, I wouldn't even know what the hell was going on in that ride. Shoot, I never saw Italian Job, so I honestly don't know what is going on with the theme anyway.

FOF issue #1 was actually opening day. However it was not smoke related whatsoever

Agreed I was part of it. As for BLSC the fire wasn't turned on June 13th. The ride ops stated it was due to the weather. It was raining slightly that morning. I thought that was odd but didn't question further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BLSC theming was taken out during the Cedar Fair Kinzel era, a time when theming was not a priority, so it seemed. Then again, the props, and scenery was deteriorating at an alarming rate. As well, Cedar Fair was going for more thrills than the usual family deal, except for the PS "addition"(?). Then again, I personally feel like that era is gone with Ouimet with his amazing background with Disney. Banshee, from my POV literally can't loose its' theming. Because think about it, it's an old graveyard with gravestones all over. Now, could the SOB Tone go out like it has before? Sure, but then again, I think that Ouimet has a plan to keep everything looking coherent. (The Bat, Delirium, Banshee, BP additions).

• Like 1

EDIT: Apparently, most of you didn't know I kid.

The BLSC theming was taken out during the Cedar Fair Kinzel era, a time when theming was not a priority, so it seemed. Then again, the props, and scenery was deteriorating at an alarming rate. As well, Cedar Fair was going for more thrills than the usual family deal, except for the PS "addition"(?). Then again, I personally feel like that era is gone with Ouimet with his amazing background with Disney. Banshee, from my POV literally can't loose its' theming. Because think about it, it's an old graveyard with gravestones all over. Now, could the SOB Tone go out like it has before? Sure, but then again, I think that Ouimet has a plan to keep everything looking coherent. (The Bat, Delirium, Banshee, BP additions).

Mr. Kinzel didn't send word from on high that the trains ought to be turned to amorphous blobs, and to send anti-theming Vikings out to pillage special effects. Contracts expired, rights were lost, and the park had to react. Sure there was a budget that was consciously diverted elsewhere, but that wasn't some malevolent anti-theming tirade.

Since the theme of BLSC is irrelevant anymore at this point anyway...I would personally say to do away with the entire scene at the 'stopped' portion of the ride and simply have a darkened area that launches into the darkened tunnel.

I mean, If I didn't know that it was themed to the Italian Job, I wouldn't even know what the hell was going on in that ride. Shoot, I never saw Italian Job, so I honestly don't know what is going on with the theme anyway.

And what's the storyline of Adventure Express? It's really just a series of vignettes, isn't it?

Backlot Stunt Coaster doesn't rely on some cohesive story (even though there is one) and it certainly doesn't require you to be familiar with The Italian Job. You're a stunt car driver in a film racing around a set encountering scenes with police, enemy helicopters, and tunnels. The name tells us that much. What more do you need to know?

A better question: how would replacing the midcourse brake and helicopter encounter with a dark tunnel given the average rider any better idea "what the hell is going on" or provide a better experience? At best, you'd cut 15 seconds off an already minuscule ride time and remove the one noteworthy moment on the ride.

Maybe since very few of the effects are working for the ride, we could maybe see them do what they have been doing to FoF over the past couple of years?

Already happened two years ago. We were all stunned when the ride's fire effects returned full force, along with LED lights, new helicopter motion, new helicopter noises, and a new soundtrack. It seemed impossible! Apparently, that's already rusted away? Though I still don't understand the damage level here. Has the fire just not worked for a few days? Or are we back to a Canada's Wonderland state where you stop at the silent midcourse brake and nothing happens?

EDIT: As for the splashdown, I wouldn't count on it. Paramount seemed overambitious with including water effects on rides, and didn't learn the lesson despite failures on Adventure Express, Top Gun, TOMB RAIDER: The Ride, and Italian Job: Stunt Track. That being said, Kings Dominion's has had half of the splashdown working the last few times I've been there. It splashes only on the side facing the midway. Though to be fair, almost none of their other effects work at all, so perhaps it was a question of "this or that?" and they chose that.

• Like 5

I didn't mean that GK, I meant that theming was not priority at that time. It was more based on thrills, which i then gave also other reasons for the theming to be taken out.

• Like 1

I'm sure the fire effect can be tricky. Problem is, it's a slippery slope. Last time the MCBR [effects] died, it started this way, and with many of us saying "Oh, I'm sure they're working on it! It's just going to take a few more days / weeks / months."

EDITED to add bracketed word above.

Haha, this is true! Though with the way the ride operates, I bet eliminating it altogether wouldn't pose too much of a risk. ;)

As far as I have heard, Canada's Wonderland's still doesn't bother to stop at the MCBR at all (unless it needs to, obviously). Just hustles right on through, since all of the props and effects are lifeless.

• Like 1

I wonder how many would cite themselves as "amused" after waiting for the ride for 45 minutes on a warm summer Saturday? I bet they're chuffed at the 45 second ride. ;)

I found a video. The car does stop at the MCBR in Canada, but launches a second or so after. At least, when this video was recorded!

• Like 1

I wonder how many would cite themselves as "amused" after waiting for the ride for 45 minutes on a warm summer Saturday? I bet they're chuffed at the 45 second ride. ;)

I found a video. The car does stop at the MCBR in Canada, but launches a second or so after. At least, when this video was recorded!

As of late May, the cars do not stop in the helicopter scene at Canada's Wonderland at all unless needed for blocking purposes. It just kinda... slows down.

They did, however, receive new fiberglass on their trains, and it definitely looks spiffy.

I found a

. The car does stop at the MCBR in Canada, but launches a second or so after. At least, when this video was recorded!
As of late May, the cars do not stop in the helicopter scene at Canada's Wonderland at all unless needed for blocking purposes. It just kinda... slows down.

They did, however, receive new fiberglass on their trains, and it definitely looks spiffy.

I've heard it's been like that for a few years.

And decades.

Uhhhh, how about no.

It's been since around what 09-10(?) that we have not seen such effects in full force. So to call it decades would be calling the Soak City re-branding millienia

My only problem with BLSC is that it's Los Angeles themed. Pshaw, with the helicopter, fire and police cars, it can themed as A Blue Ball Prison Break. As a child, I've seen enough LCI convicts scamper into the cornfield to see that the theming is possible-

• Like 2