How intense is Delirium?

harmony29

Ok I know a lot of people will probably laugh at me, but I honestly don't know what to expect. I was at Cedar Point the year Max Air opened but was too chicken to go on it. I'm a huge coaster fanatic but for some reason I'm having a lot of hesitation about going on this one. I want to try it as my fiance wants to go too, which normally if I wasn't in to a ride I'd have no problem just waiting, but I have very mixed feelings on this one. Any comments?

• Like 3

I'm not sure if it is because it spins or how high, like I said I love coasters, my park was always Cedar Point so I love Top Thrill Dragster and Millenium Force. Like I said, it's been quite a while since I've been to a park and have not really been on any of the coasters at KI. I'm not at all worried about Banshee, The Beast, Diamondback, etc. it's just this one ride and i'm thinking if I don't try it I may be really missing out on something that I would like, I know once there my fiance will talk me into going on it just wanted some other opinions. I have been on Power Tower at CP and the drop ride at Islands of Adventure so I'm assuming if I can do those I can do this one.

• Like 2

It is like being on a giant swingset. Seriously, think of that gut-thrill from early swingsets, only extend the experience out to about a sustained 4-5 seconds of it. The lateral motion (spinning) is experienced mostly as a constant change of scenery (which is incredibly scenic!). It's a great, big producer of that "tickle" you might have experienced going down a hilly country back road. Fun, not scary.

• Like 7

Push your shoulders up tight against the harnesses on either side where you'll feel snug. You're less likely to feel like you're gonna fall. It's amazingly fun, and I didn't get the nerve to get on it until after getting off Drop Tower, I was told Delirium is less scary than Drop Tower (true).

When it gets to it's very highest peak, and you're saying, "Holy Moly", then it immediately slows down and gets lower, so there's only one REALLY high point, then you're done, back to not as scary.

• Like 2

Delirium was not nearly intense as I thought it was going to be. I rode it first last year, and I was terrified. However, to my surprise, when you are facing the ground, it does not feel like your going to fall out. As Thrill_Biscuit said, it produces a little bit of that "tickle" in your stomach. You barely feel the spinning, it just provides a nice change of scenery. I see that you are not afraid of coasters, then you will definitely be fine on this. :) Hope this helps! Enjoy your ride! :)

• Like 3

The year that it opened, I was at the photo shoot and I nearly talked myself out of riding....It's now one of my favorite rides in the park. I thought the spinning would be an issue and it's not an issue at all. The slight pause before you swing from the apex gives you a shot of adrenaline....it's fun fun fun!!!

• Like 1

It is like being on a giant swingset. Seriously, think of that gut-thrill from early swingsets, only extend the experience out to about a sustained 4-5 seconds of it. The lateral motion (spinning) is experienced mostly as a constant change of scenery (which is incredibly scenic!). It's a great, big producer of that "tickle" you might have experienced going down a hilly country back road. Fun, not scary.

S&S Screamin' Swings are like riding on giant swing sets - especially Skyhawk.

• Like 2

When I first started riding I was worried too. Now I love it and don't hold on so I get the full hang time effect. I think I enjoy the view and hearing people squeal the most! Then I usually try to talk some kid or adult next to me into letting go. It's all great fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks so much you guys, now I feel better about riding it. My only downfall now is that I won't be able to enjoy the view as I wear glasses and am blind without them, unfortunately my contacts won't get here in time for this first trip.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on a strap for my glasses, I never knew there was such a thing I will have to find where I can get one of those!

Glasses straps are boss! I enjoy the rides so much more being able to wear specs.

The last few high swings of Delirium almost hit my spew spot. I just mentally hang on until the ride starts to descend, then I know it's almost over.

• Like 1

I am so glad I know about the glass straps now, I really thought I would have to ride blind on every ride!

Jessica, I will let you know my experience on Delirium, we have moved up our dates and are leaving Wed and will be there in the afternoon and all day Thursday, I absolutely cannot wait.

What's everyone's suggestions for Thursday once we hit Banshee before the park opens? In looking at the map I'm thinking heading back to Diamondback and then The Beast, not sure though and want to make the most of our time there.

• Like 1

If it is open, Flight of Fear is a good bet at 10:00 when the gates open to everyone. Unfortunately I don't have high hopes it will be running, after its opening Saturday may or may not have taken out the power in the rest of the park :-/

If you have any desire to ride Firehawk, its lines apparently get long later in the day, so you could hit it if FoF is still closed. I personally don't like it so I don't often ride it.

Barring that, going to Diamondback is a good choice. I love that ride :) I can't personally ride Diamondback before The Beast though, or I won't enjoy Beast as much.

• Like 2

I am so glad I know about the glass straps now, I really thought I would have to ride blind on every ride!

Jessica, I will let you know my experience on Delirium, we have moved up our dates and are leaving Wed and will be there in the afternoon and all day Thursday, I absolutely cannot wait.

What's everyone's suggestions for Thursday once we hit Banshee before the park opens? In looking at the map I'm thinking heading back to Diamondback and then The Beast, not sure though and want to make the most of our time there.

Riding sans glasses compared to being able to see where you are going, AND- not getting wind in your eyes so you have to squinch them shut, is the greatest. I'd always taken off my glasses before, and then, after my glasses got stolen, invested in two pair- a regular pair and a sports pair, with the strap on the back. The sports glasses have a wide lens, and allow me to take it ALL in. The first night I rode them, it was a full moon at Haunt; I still have the memory of seeing the moon and the fog with perfect clarity from atop the helix hill of The Beast.

AND- if some idiot has a loose item get away from him, there's hopefully that added safety of having your eyes protected.

• Like 1

Delirium is my favorite! But I never knew that MaXair had more spins per cycle, cool.

I remember the year it opened I went with my friend. As we were headed to the park, she told me how much she wanted to ride Delirium, and I said "No, thank you!" however, once we got there and stood before it, she became the hesitant one, and I became the eager one. :D anyway, we got on, and ended up both loving it. It can LOOK menacing, but it's bark is worse than it's bite. I find myself agreeing with the swingset comments. I love that tickle feeling from either facing the sky during the highest peak, or facing down to the ground. Have you tried the Skyflier ride by chance? When i tried that one, I found myself comparing it to a horizontal Delirium, lol.

Anyway, if you're feeling up to it, maybe you can give it a try. If you don't like it, the ride cycle isn't too long, and you can get off and never do it again if you don't want to.

• Like 3

I wear my glasses on all rides WITH a strap. Don't buy the ones in the park they are crap. Walmart, Target, Dicks Sporting Goods all have good straps. As Terp said Croakies are best. They are like $12 and SO worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2